Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, If you look at all of the men's soccer teams in Florida (D1, D2, and NAIA) I am positive if you looked at all the players of these schools lumped together way more than 50% are foreigners.
    #1 you're wrong about the 50% foreign players, but want to feel better so you make up fake news.

#2 if you care about students, then you don't mind foreign players on the rosters. Foreign players means no title-iv financial aid, i.e. cash pay. Cash pay means better bottom line for the college and more aid available for american students.

Comment

I think you are wrong here. Take a look at this roster as an example. There are like 4 Americans out of 27 kids. This school has won several national championships.

http://www.lynnfightingknights.com/s...2016-17/roster

If you look at the entire Sunshine Conference (Rollins, Lynn, Eckerd, Embry-Riddle, UT, etc.) and the Sun Conference (Southeastern, Warner, St. Thomas, etc.) I would guess that they total percentage of foreign players in these two conferences is over 80% foreign.
      In Florida, International Scholarships are plenty and I believe even sponsored by state, so more foreigners. I can't verify this info, but recall this which is reason for UCF, USF, FIU, FGU with the big intl presence.

Comment

#1 you're wrong about the 50% foreign players, but want to feel better so you make up fake news.

#2 if you care about students, then you don't mind foreign players on the rosters. Foreign players means no title-iv financial aid, i.e. cash pay. Cash pay means better bottom line for the college and more aid available for american students.
        Hey Moron, the guy above did the math and it is more than 50% foreign. And yes the foreigners get money

Comment

Here is the truth about college soccer:

1. Very little money available
          2. Short season in the Fall
          3. Have to train entire Spring but only play a handful of scrimmages
          4. On the boys side, most of the rosters are mainly foreigners
          5. Foreigners are the ones getting what little money is available

So my question is why is college soccer the entire focus of most clubs especially given the reality listed above? This doesn't mean we shouldn't play soccer - it is still fun and provides many benefits. I don't even think the main American sports that actually have real advancement opportunities promote college and professional to the degree that soccer does.
          Because in this country, for 98% of HS aged soccer players, it ends when they graduate HS. The 2% go on to play college because they love the game and wish to play it as long as they can. It is not about the money because, like you stated, it is not that much. Clubs know this "player's dream" and use it as a selling point to parents that still think their kids are the 2%. By the time the truth comes out, these clubs have made a substantial profit.

What else can clubs sell us? Even the DA now sell College as opposed to Pro contracts which was the main objective to begin with. It was all about "developing" players for our national teams and MLS clubs and what a joke that turned out to be.

Marketing 101

Comment

Is the money less at a D2 school vs D1 school for a male player?

Comment

Here is the issue. Most American parents are a PiTA. Much easier to get an international where the parents are thousands of miles away and won't both the coach and players work harder and more appreciative. Higher probability of success with international. That is the

Comment

Is the money less at a D2 school vs D1 school for a male player?
                The money given by the D2 schools is many times more money than D1. But the out of pocket at the D2 school will typically be much higher. For example Rollins cost $60K per year and the D1 schools in FL are around $17K. So getting 7K at USF is better than $20K at Rollins.

Comment

Here is the truth about college soccer:

1. Very little money available
                  2. Short season in the Fall
                  3. Have to train entire Spring but only play a handful of scrimmages
                  4. On the boys side, most of the rosters are mainly foreigners
                  5. Foreigners are the ones getting what little money is available

So my question is why is college soccer the entire focus of most clubs especially given the reality listed above? This doesn't mean we shouldn't play soccer - it is still fun and provides many benefits. I don't even think the main American sports that actually have real advancement opportunities promote college and professional to the degree that soccer does.
                  LOL...

My kid is smarter than your kid and a much better soccer player as well. We don't have any issues with College Ball.

Comment

The money given by the D2 schools is many times more money than D1. But the out of pocket at the D2 school will typically be much higher. For example Rollins cost $60K per year and the D1 schools in FL are around $17K. So getting 7K at USF is better than $20K at Rollins.
                    There are no hard and fast rules - some D1 schools are more affordable, others quite expensive. Same with D2 and D3. In state vs out of state tuition at state schools also plays a role as the gap between the two can be enormous. In general D2 schools give much lower scholarships than D1 across all the sports. Obviously football/bball is part of that for D1 schools. There's very little revenue for D2 sports and I doubt many programs are fully funded, which will drive down the average scholarship amount.

Also note in the link below the average %age of international male soccer players is 12%, women just over 4%. So to say international players dominate college soccer is false - it's just much higher at some programs than others. FL seems to have a very high %age compared to other areas.

http://scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Comment

Hey Moron, the guy above did the math and it is more than 50% foreign. And yes the foreigners get money
                      FL has a much higher %age than NCAA overall - for men it's just over 12% nationally. I can't help but wonder if the local schools are all in an arms race - a few started adding more international players, did well, so the others said "I've got to get me some too." No doubt going to school in FL would be a big draw to players (lots come from sunny old England) vs say middle of nowhere NY or IN.

As for athletic scholarships to foreigners to date I've seen zero proof of that, only claims. I do know that many foreign athletes have parents who are happy to pay for a US education. So while perhaps they might get athletic money they're probably not taking it all either (they don't qualify for financial aid but may get merit money). There's not much to give in men's soccer anyway.

http://scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Comment

The proof that college soccer sucks is in the fact that a great many of the kids quit after one year, maybe two.

Do you really want little Johnny to forego the rest of life's offerings for the golden ticket that he will want to toss in the trash when the time comes to collect?

Comment

The national average across all divisions might be 12% but the figure is much higher if you just look st D1,D2, and NAIA. There is no money available in those other divisions so no money available to entice the foreign kids. Someone did an analysis of Florida and it was over 50% foreign

Comment

The proof that college soccer sucks is in the fact that a great many of the kids quit after one year, maybe two.

Do you really want little Johnny to forego the rest of life's offerings for the golden ticket that he will want to toss in the trash when the time comes to collect?
                            TALKING SOCCER TRANSLATION:
                            My kid sux at soccer and will not be playing in college. Therefore your kid should either quit soccer or give up on the idea of college soccer so that we can all share the misery together as equals. Its all about equality (for me).

Comment

Sucking isnt why kids drop out (and btw not all of it sucks). Some aren't cut out for it skill wise - they either get cut or quit on their own after never playing. Some leave because they want to focus on academics or having a more traditional college experience. Playing at the college level is a GRIND even if the the quality is sometimes lacking. It isn't for everyone and it means recruits should focus more on school fit

Comment

The national average across all divisions might be 12% but the figure is much higher if you just look st D1,D2, and NAIA. There is no money available in those other divisions so no money available to entice the foreign kids. Someone did an analysis of Florida and it was over 50% foreign
                                Florida is not representative of the entire country.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X