Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Drawer Soccer?

topdrawersoccer.com Seems like a good and informative site for news, articles and Team Rankings, Player rankings. But it seems like all the real content is subscriber based. Is it worth it to be a subscriber? Is this meant only for Coaches and Recruiters? Anyone have any experiences with this site? Good or Bad. Thanks.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    topdrawersoccer.com Seems like a good and informative site for news, articles and Team Rankings, Player rankings. But it seems like all the real content is subscriber based. Is it worth it to be a subscriber? Is this meant only for Coaches and Recruiters? Anyone have any experiences with this site? Good or Bad. Thanks.
    The general information is free.

It's really the rankings information that is paid.

I don't subscribe but do enjoy the free information.

Comment

Read for free only. Don't waste your money on anything else

Comment

If you look at many of the bio's of players on college rosters you see they mention a ranking from Top Drawer soccer. Must be considered by college coaches?

Comment

If you look at many of the bio's of players on college rosters you see they mention a ranking from Top Drawer soccer. Must be considered by college coaches?
          Not really. They use the material to fill out bios. The rankings are questionable and obviously miss many players. Coaches will watch players they want to watch regardless

Comment

My kid is U18 player who is going on to play in college. I sat in a bunch of her meeting with college coaches.

None of them ever brought up her ranking in top drawer.

In my opinion, it is worthless. Any reputable coach will look at the club you play for and if necessary, ask your club DOC or coach their opinion on a player and come to watch them and make their own assessment.

If your kid is a 4 or 5 star player, the coach will know. They don't need to check top draw to get a rating from someone who has never seen your kid play.

Comment

My kid is U18 player who is going on to play in college. I sat in a bunch of her meeting with college coaches.

None of them ever brought up her ranking in top drawer.

In my opinion, it is worthless. Any reputable coach will look at the club you play for and if necessary, ask your club DOC or coach their opinion on a player and come to watch them and make their own assessment.

If your kid is a 4 or 5 star player, the coach will know. They don't need to check top draw to get a rating from someone who has never seen your kid play.
              If they never see your kid play how are the rankings created? They must get scouting game reports from US Soccer. Sponsored by IMG but I dont think that means anything...

Comment

If they never see your kid play how are the rankings created? They must get scouting game reports from US Soccer. Sponsored by IMG but I dont think that means anything...
                I believe your ranking is based on your background

High level club
                ODP
                DAP
                ECNL
                NTC
                National Youth teams etc

The more extensive the more stars.

Comment

I believe your ranking is based on your background

High level club
                  ODP
                  DAP
                  ECNL
                  NTC
                  National Youth teams etc

The more extensive the more stars.
                  And not even then - there have been highly ranked players with few credentials, and others who have a great resumes but few stars. Take a look at the 2017 rankings for CT boys and tell me it makes sense. There's players you've never heard of, DA players with no or low stars etc. TDS claims they have scouts at events but I don't see how that would be feasible, cost effective or even reliable (who are these "scouts"?). If they're there then they must be incognito :)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sear...rtDirections=1

Coaches will decide to make an effort to see a player based on the player's resume which includes (not necessarily in order) competitive level of the league they play in, coach/club reputation (if known to the coach), accolades, ODP etc (if applicable), phone discussions with coaches club coach reputation (if known) and sometimes (definitely not always) they will watch a brief video. Maybe a ranking helps give an extra nudge here or there, but its not going to push a coach one way or the other if the player has the resume a coach is looking for.

Comment

And not even then - there have been highly ranked players with few credentials, and others who have a great resumes but few stars. Take a look at the 2017 rankings for CT boys and tell me it makes sense. There's players you've never heard of, DA players with no or low stars etc. TDS claims they have scouts at events but I don't see how that would be feasible, cost effective or even reliable (who are these "scouts"?). If they're there then they must be incognito :)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sear...rtDirections=1

Coaches will decide to make an effort to see a player based on the player's resume which includes (not necessarily in order) competitive level of the league they play in, coach/club reputation (if known to the coach), accolades, ODP etc (if applicable), phone discussions with coaches club coach reputation (if known) and sometimes (definitely not always) they will watch a brief video. Maybe a ranking helps give an extra nudge here or there, but its not going to push a coach one way or the other if the player has the resume a coach is looking for.
                    Most of the three stars played academy. I have heard of most of them. There are four with only two stars

The DAP players with no stars probably didn't sign up and pa a fee

Comment

My kid isn't on TDS but looking at the lists I can say there's plenty of talent missing for her age group. So when I went to see what to do to register it seems you can do a basic entry for free, but if you pay for the "Premier" level (doesn't tell you how much it costs) the claim it gives you

-Exclusive access to in-depth editorials focusing on the controversial club soccer landscape

-Stay up-to-date on the latest college commitments & track the decision-making process of top players

-Download our exclusive College Soccer Recruiting Guide filled with advice from our staff, scouts, and college coaches.

-Dive deeper into the rankings with weekly analysis that details the players ranked and the process creating the latest update

In other words "if you pay us we'll tell you how the rankings work". I couldn't find any other information on rankings other than that. The other stuff I can find for free on other sites.

Comment

The experience with topdrawersoccer.com generally works like this. If your kid is ranked, you like the site. If your kid isn't ranked, you don't like the site.

Comment

Being in the top 150 can certainly help your profile. It certainly doesn't hurt

Comment

The experience with topdrawersoccer.com generally works like this. If your kid is ranked, you like the site. If your kid isn't ranked, you don't like the site.
                            Does Top Drawer soccer call all the parents of soccer players in the US and ask "Do you like our site?". Then they create the ranking. Sounds efficient. Or maybe they host events, attend events, talk to soccer coaches, review lists, etc? I do know TDS was at the last two ECNL showcases scouting b/c they took our team flyer. And I'm sure they have dialogue with the major clubs DOC's.

Comment

Mine is ranked and I don't like it. There's no rhyme or reason to it, good players aren't on it (or ranked) not so good players on it (yet some are ranked). We've never been asked about it once by college coaches/they've never mentioned it. I suppose it might help but it's just part of a list of things that pique a coach's interest.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X