Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's a joke or not. It matters to a lot of kids. If you think your kid wants to give it up (and it's their choice, not yours) then there's an option for him/her. Others will chose a different path because now they can.
    They have choices and thats great. Its a free Country. But lets not Romanticize the HS soccer experience as being the better choice for those players that are SERIOUS about becoming better players. HS soccer is REC soccer. ALL ECNL, NPL, EDP, DA, GDA players will tell you that.

If ECNL, NPL or EDP became a year round program would players drop these programs to play HS soccer?

Dont think so...

Comment

They have choices and thats great. Its a free Country. But lets not Romanticize the HS soccer experience as being the better choice for those players that are SERIOUS about becoming better players. HS soccer is REC soccer. ALL ECNL, NPL, EDP, DA, GDA players will tell you that.

If ECNL, NPL or EDP became a year round program would players drop these programs to play HS soccer?

Dont think so...
      I think you are very misguided about priorities for kids. It is fine, and with alot of push back, that development academy does not allow high school soccer. These kids are probably dedicated to their "craft". However, if these other entities think they can also get all these players to forgo high school soccer they are crazy. My kid plays in these winter and spring leagues in order to get ready for high school soccer. Maybe the quality is diluted as compared to his club team but the fun and comraderie they have is amazing and not worth giving up.

Comment

Dont think so...
        OP here - I'm not romanticizing anything, just telling it like it is. I know plenty of it is bad, but not all. High level club players know its bad. Yet plenty still chose it and will continue to do so for their own reasons. That doesn't mean they don't' want to improve or cannot improve, it just won't be at the same pace as DA players.

Comment

Dont think so...
          No other league would attempt to do so because they understand it and allowing HS gives them a point f difference vs DA. As it is DA can barely make the case for doing so. That's why some boys will opt for boys ECNL, and some girls will opt not to go to GDA. Personally I'm glad kids have more options. We all know HS soccer leaves a lot to be desired. But why force kids to make those choices when 99% just want to play good soccer and maybe play in college. They're not pro or NT material - that's reality. It doesn't mean they love the game any less or don't want to work hard. To my knowledge no other sport forces this choice.

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on the edp whose kid has been in it? I'm new to the area.
            http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs...theast-region/

Here's a primer on the regional leagues that CT clubs play in

Comment

I would say that that 12th player who practices 4 times a week against top players with better coaching for 10 months, that sits on the bench doesn't play every game. IS way better prepared for the next level if thats what they are wanting to do.
              This kid is going to a low level soccer school with little or no money as are most academy players after player 5.

Comment

This kid is going to a low level soccer school with little or no money as are most academy players after player 5.
                ...and they will be better prepared and more experienced soccer players able to compete right away. Development is Development.

Comment

...and they will be better prepared and more experienced soccer players able to compete right away. Development is Development.
                  Better prepared to coach premier when they graduate

Comment

Lol maybe at a low level program. Weak DA players that overshoot won't be playing at top programs. Top DA amd international players see the field.

Comment

At low level schools .... great. I am going to have my kid study garbage science when he gets into Harvard so he can be the best low level worker that he can possibly be.

Comment

At low level schools .... great. I am going to have my kid study garbage science when he gets into Harvard so he can be the best low level worker that he can possibly be.
                        Harvard is Harvard. Wake up and smell the Garbage.

Comment

No other league would attempt to do so because they understand it and allowing HS gives them a point f difference vs DA. As it is DA can barely make the case for doing so. That's why some boys will opt for boys ECNL, and some girls will opt not to go to GDA. Personally I'm glad kids have more options. We all know HS soccer leaves a lot to be desired. But why force kids to make those choices when 99% just want to play good soccer and maybe play in college. They're not pro or NT material - that's reality. It doesn't mean they love the game any less or don't want to work hard. To my knowledge no other sport forces this choice.
                          Parent of a U12 son.

What about a successful Div. 1 HS soccer program? Our HS is quite large and most of the boys that play soccer have played high level club for years. The competition for varsity spots is intense, almost entirely juniors and seniors on the roster. The coach is experienced and has been recognized by his peers for being an excellent coach.

When the time comes, why wouldn't my son choose HS soccer?

Comment

Harvard is Harvard. Wake up and smell the Garbage.
                            I wish I had a degree in garbage science from Harvard!

Comment

Parent of a U12 son.

What about a successful Div. 1 HS soccer program? Our HS is quite large and most of the boys that play soccer have played high level club for years. The competition for varsity spots is intense, almost entirely juniors and seniors on the roster. The coach is experienced and has been recognized by his peers for being an excellent coach.

When the time comes, why wouldn't my son choose HS soccer?
                              thats not HS in most towns

Comment

thats not HS in most towns
                                But it is in many, especially the bigger and often times more affluent towns (or at least higher than the state income average, where parents can better afford club soccer). Look at where the top L and LL programs are. Those are the programs kids want to play for. Plenty of kids still want to play for cra* programs too. Some kids are willing to walk away from HS, some are not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X