Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents' Soccer fantasies

This is my first time on this site and I have been amused at all the talk of college soccer. So many posters seem to think that if they get their son or daughter in the right league, with the right team, that their (the parents) dreams will be realized.

Let me tell you that all that matters very little. I am an old soccer parent. My kids are grown. But both my boys were very good soccer players, and both played for Oakwood. The older one was probably a little more talented. But it was the younger one who played in college. The difference was the younger one's desire. The kid spent hours in the backyard perfecting his shooting and dribbling; he juggled during recess (when he was very young) and after a snow storm he shoveled the back deck so that he could practice his moves. He had soccer on the brain. My older son loved soccer, but pretty much just practiced when the team did.

My advice to all these fanatical posters is to relax. Whether or not your son plays in college will be up to him or her, not you. Just enjoy your kids' soccer while it lasts, whatever their level.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is my first time on this site and I have been amused at all the talk of college soccer. So many posters seem to think that if they get their son or daughter in the right league, with the right team, that their (the parents) dreams will be realized.

Let me tell you that all that matters very little. I am an old soccer parent. My kids are grown. But both my boys were very good soccer players, and both played for Oakwood. The older one was probably a little more talented. But it was the younger one who played in college. The difference was the younger one's desire. The kid spent hours in the backyard perfecting his shooting and dribbling; he juggled during recess (when he was very young) and after a snow storm he shoveled the back deck so that he could practice his moves. He had soccer on the brain. My older son loved soccer, but pretty much just practiced when the team did.

My advice to all these fanatical posters is to relax. Whether or not your son plays in college will be up to him or her, not you. Just enjoy your kids' soccer while it lasts, whatever their level.
    So what your saying is Oakwood caused your older son to lose his passion for the sport and that your second son was a loner who had no friends to kick a ball with and you are too fat to go outside and kick the ball with him. Probably went to west conn and sat on the bench. Probably should have spent more time making friends and doing homework.

Comment

So what your saying is Oakwood caused your older son to lose his passion for the sport and that your second son was a loner who had no friends to kick a ball with and you are too fat to go outside and kick the ball with him. Probably went to west conn and sat on the bench. Probably should have spent more time making friends and doing homework.
      Really? Someone posts something interesting and helpful, and not something any reasonable person could disagree with, and this is your response?

When did moronic insults get confused with with and intelligence? You are what's wrong with this site.

To the OP, keep posting. Your perspective is valuable!

Comment

You are a sad waste of flesh. I'm sure you've amounted to very little.

Comment

What he is saying that if ow had gdap when his lazy son played then he might have made the team and played in College

Comment

Spot on dad. Well said.

Comment

I appreciate your insight. But much has changed in the youth soccer and college recruiting landscape in just the last 5 years. The team, club and league matter greatly in whether or not college soccer dreams will be fulfilled. Indeed, the kid's desire plays a big part. But many talented players simply don't get the right exposure because they are playing in a lesser league, for a lesser team, against lesser competition. There is so much competition in the college recruiting game. Tons of hard-working, talented kids out there worthy of relatively few scholarship dollars. Kids need to be in the right situation to maximize their chances of fulfilling their college soccer dreams.

Comment

I appreciate your insight. But much has changed in the youth soccer and college recruiting landscape in just the last 5 years. The team, club and league matter greatly in whether or not college soccer dreams will be fulfilled. Indeed, the kid's desire plays a big part. But many talented players simply don't get the right exposure because they are playing in a lesser league, for a lesser team, against lesser competition. There is so much competition in the college recruiting game. Tons of hard-working, talented kids out there worthy of relatively few scholarship dollars. Kids need to be in the right situation to maximize their chances of fulfilling their college soccer dreams.
                Perhaps those "talented" kids in the lesser leagues and in the lesser team would not look so talented on a top team. Yes, playing on a top team is important but many studs on a lesser team would learn a harsh reality on a tougher team. Not trying to be mean but spread of play alone separates the wheat from the chaff quickly. No way to know that until experienced first hand

Comment

Really? Someone posts something interesting and helpful, and not something any reasonable person could disagree with, and this is your response?

When did moronic insults get confused with with and intelligence? You are what's wrong with this site.

To the OP, keep posting. Your perspective is valuable!
                  What was interesting about his post? That he had two kids and the one that he thought was a better player crapped out and the one he thought sucked ended up playing in college?

What was helpful about his post? If you want a lecture about parenting, watch Dr Phil. I want to talk soccer

Comment

Perhaps those "talented" kids in the lesser leagues and in the lesser team would not look so talented on a top team. Yes, playing on a top team is important but many studs on a lesser team would learn a harsh reality on a tougher team. Not trying to be mean but spread of play alone separates the wheat from the chaff quickly. No way to know that until experienced first hand
                    I think you're basically agreeing with the post while trying to argue with it.

Comment

I am responding to the fact that the poster (original poster)believes they just need to get their kid to the right league/team. I am saying once they get their they might find they are simply just not that good after all.

Comment

Sorry not original poster. Poster #7

Comment

You are wrong. Flat out. WHAT drives the kid IS the kid. That's the magic ingredient.

Comment

You are wrong. Flat out. WHAT drives the kid IS the kid. That's the magic ingredient.
                            Wrong

Comment

Of course what drives the kid is the kid. That's irrelevant to the point being made.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X