Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls Robatic Style of Play

90 percent of the girls play the same exact style , receive , control a little and then pass, even whoever plays forward does the same,. The 10 percent that actual dribble try moves are labeled as ball hogs... what can we do , the world caught up and will pass us if we don't change now

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    90 percent of the girls play the same exact style , receive , control a little and then pass, even whoever plays forward does the same,. The 10 percent that actual dribble try moves are labeled as ball hogs... what can we do , the world caught up and will pass us if we don't change now
    13 and under girls should be playing with boys as much as possible

Comment

I think about a quarter of the elite level girls play with pizzaz !!! those are the girls that stand out

Comment

Do certain positions allow for more creativity?

Comment

Do certain positions allow for more creativity?
          An attacking midfielder and all forwards should be able to dribble create something to create a goal opportunity, look at u10 boys, most can dribble day and night and as a coach it's hard to get them to pass. Quite the opposite for the girls ... I think we are missing out on teaching advanced dribbling skills in game situations on the girls side and focusing on passsing long balls way to much

Comment

This is actually a conversation I have frequently with coaches and parents (sometimes even players). In my experience of coaching girls at pretty much all levels the difference between the girls you are referring to and the ones that play fluid, real soccer is partially what a poster said previously. Girls need to play with boys for as long as possible, even if it means being a role player on a boys team. Playing in that state of training that's fast physicals and demanding is so important for girls to develop an extra edge that they often lose by playing with girls too often. One girl I am familiar with played on one of the top U13 boys teams for 5 years and when she made the transition to girls she was playing up ECNL and was one of the top players. She is now headed to a top SEC school on scholarship. Perhaps the greatest disparity comes from the girls need to be trained like girls ideology. There is some bs that girls are more fragile or physically incapable of doing what boys do. Running suicides, weightlifting and practicing footwork outside of the normal practice are almost nonexistent in girls soccer and the ones that do do this end up being high level collegiate players. It seems simple to train girls at the level of boys and not ever use the fact that they are girls as an excuse for mediocrity. If a girls step over lacks hip movement or a real deceptive faint then the coach must hold her accountable and make her understand that it's not the correct execution of the move and for it to be successful must be improved. Another thing is girl parents need to become more educated. To be honest most girls parents have no knowledge of the game, they don't watch men's soccer because it isn't pertinent to their child so they miss all of the little skills and tactics that make a difference when raising a player. They also never hold their child to the standard of men's soccer, a boy at the DA level plays an almost flawless game similar to professionals, low turnovers, clean touches and sensible decision making. ECNL is often a crap fest and there is little skill or knowledge across the field.

Moral of the message, train girls or your daughter like boys. Don't let them fall below that standard

Comment

This is actually a conversation I have frequently with coaches and parents (sometimes even players). In my experience of coaching girls at pretty much all levels the difference between the girls you are referring to and the ones that play fluid, real soccer is partially what a poster said previously. Girls need to play with boys for as long as possible, even if it means being a role player on a boys team. Playing in that state of training that's fast physicals and demanding is so important for girls to develop an extra edge that they often lose by playing with girls too often. One girl I am familiar with played on one of the top U13 boys teams for 5 years and when she made the transition to girls she was playing up ECNL and was one of the top players. She is now headed to a top SEC school on scholarship. Perhaps the greatest disparity comes from the girls need to be trained like girls ideology. There is some bs that girls are more fragile or physically incapable of doing what boys do. Running suicides, weightlifting and practicing footwork outside of the normal practice are almost nonexistent in girls soccer and the ones that do do this end up being high level collegiate players. It seems simple to train girls at the level of boys and not ever use the fact that they are girls as an excuse for mediocrity. If a girls step over lacks hip movement or a real deceptive faint then the coach must hold her accountable and make her understand that it's not the correct execution of the move and for it to be successful must be improved. Another thing is girl parents need to become more educated. To be honest most girls parents have no knowledge of the game, they don't watch men's soccer because it isn't pertinent to their child so they miss all of the little skills and tactics that make a difference when raising a player. They also never hold their child to the standard of men's soccer, a boy at the DA level plays an almost flawless game similar to professionals, low turnovers, clean touches and sensible decision making. ECNL is often a crap fest and there is little skill or knowledge across the field.

Moral of the message, train girls or your daughter like boys. Don't let them fall below that standard

Spot on , travel soccer at a high level should be intense even for girls , hold them accountable

Comment

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with what you're trying to say, but that girl you're talking about doesn't support the argument. She's good enough, no doubt, but no better than the other girls at the age who put in the same time and effort playing on girls teams. There are a dozen girls her age in the state as good or better skilled than her who played on girls teams at that age. Maybe playing with boys helped her achieve more than she would have otherwise, but plenty of girls have exceeded her without playing with boys. What matters is the time, effort, dedication, and desire.

Comment

Yes they are many examples of top female players who trained with boys teams - MP in CO did, EJ did at OW (boys DA club in the NE). But the practicality of doing it on a broad level isn't there. Sure a top female player may be able to keep up but certainly not all. Is that fair to the boys to have to train with/scrimmage against on a regular basis? The boys' parents will complain; some girls' parents will complain about physicality/injury risk.

Our club does it from time to time, but not often, and usually it's a year younger boys team vs a year older girls' team.

Comment

Go watch boys DA if you want robotic. Some clubs seem to have taken the "manual" and turned players into field drones. GDA won't fix that, in fact it will make it worse.

Comment

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with what you're trying to say, but that girl you're talking about doesn't support the argument. She's good enough, no doubt, but no better than the other girls at the age who put in the same time and effort playing on girls teams. There are a dozen girls her age in the state as good or better skilled than her who played on girls teams at that age. Maybe playing with boys helped her achieve more than she would have otherwise, but plenty of girls have exceeded her without playing with boys. What matters is the time, effort, dedication, and desire.
                      That's relative though. Some girls literally might just have the better physical tools to be a better player than her. However if we are talking about the same girl there are few girls in the state let alone the whole southeast that play with her awareness and speed of play. And the way the boys team she was on played fits right into that development. I do know better players than her in the state and even better ones on her team but they also played against boys for a long period of time too. Either it can't hurt and there is reason to believe it would help.

And for people saying girls aren't really allowed by clubs to do this, this is where you have to find a club that will allow your kid to develop in the best environment and not be thrown into their top league or team just for acclaim. If you pay attention to top college and pro girls teams they practice with boys and play male opposition (albeit younger) frequently. The USWNT plays U16 DA teams and get killed. Maybe a girl can't get to that level of play (DA) but still clearly having them in that sort of boys environment will have them ahead of the game even at that high level.

There does come another dilemma however, finding coaches that won't treat a girl like a girl. That means making her own meaningful minutes and as I mentioned earlier not get any free passes for being a girl. That's really just down to discussion and finding the right fit.

One girl I'm currently scouting and becoming familiar with plays for her father (maybe brother?). She's 13 playing U15 boys fspl. To my knowledge she's already been through ID2, played ECNL for OC and is being looked at for both the US GNT and her native countries (carribean area I was told). Recently she went to Brazil and played with a full women's professional team in the first division and was offered the opportunity to stay there.

What that opportunity tells me and he way her guardian trains her is that being with the boys and not being held back by the girl stereotypes is that rapid and great growth is possible. So once again I encourage parents and coaches to stop treating girls like girls and you will be astonished by the level of play that can be achieved. I actually think girls could play a way better level of soccer than boys at the youth level based on the discipline and pass oriented nature of girls. Getting the speed of play to the boys level and skill is the key to this though.

On a side note, too many girls are wearing copas! Like my old college coach said to the freshman every year "every time I see a player in plain or old black cleats I think slow and unoriginal"
                      That was the last time I saw black cleats until alumni weekend years after . Lol

Comment

That's relative though. Some girls literally might just have the better physical tools to be a better player than her. However if we are talking about the same girl there are few girls in the state let alone the whole southeast that play with her awareness and speed of play. And the way the boys team she was on played fits right into that development. I do know better players than her in the state and even better ones on her team but they also played against boys for a long period of time too. Either it can't hurt and there is reason to believe it would help.

And for people saying girls aren't really allowed by clubs to do this, this is where you have to find a club that will allow your kid to develop in the best environment and not be thrown into their top league or team just for acclaim. If you pay attention to top college and pro girls teams they practice with boys and play male opposition (albeit younger) frequently. The USWNT plays U16 DA teams and get killed. Maybe a girl can't get to that level of play (DA) but still clearly having them in that sort of boys environment will have them ahead of the game even at that high level.

There does come another dilemma however, finding coaches that won't treat a girl like a girl. That means making her own meaningful minutes and as I mentioned earlier not get any free passes for being a girl. That's really just down to discussion and finding the right fit.

One girl I'm currently scouting and becoming familiar with plays for her father (maybe brother?). She's 13 playing U15 boys fspl. To my knowledge she's already been through ID2, played ECNL for OC and is being looked at for both the US GNT and her native countries (carribean area I was told). Recently she went to Brazil and played with a full women's professional team in the first division and was offered the opportunity to stay there.

What that opportunity tells me and he way her guardian trains her is that being with the boys and not being held back by the girl stereotypes is that rapid and great growth is possible. So once again I encourage parents and coaches to stop treating girls like girls and you will be astonished by the level of play that can be achieved. I actually think girls could play a way better level of soccer than boys at the youth level based on the discipline and pass oriented nature of girls. Getting the speed of play to the boys level and skill is the key to this though.

On a side note, too many girls are wearing copas! Like my old college coach said to the freshman every year "every time I see a player in plain or old black cleats I think slow and unoriginal"
                        That was the last time I saw black cleats until alumni weekend years after . Lol
                        Girls soccer is girls soccer. It is not about being able to play like a boy or on a men's team.

Comment

What does "robatic" mean?

Comment

Girls soccer is girls soccer. It is not about being able to play like a boy or on a men's team.
                            So just forget about getting them to train and play differently? Ok great mentality, I'm sure we will forever dominate with "that's just the way it is"

Comment

What does "robatic" mean?
                              I think it's a style of soccer with a Boston accent, eh?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X