Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm not talking running in a straight line fast. That's the problem with American soccer. Everything is done is slow motion. Boring.
    Do you watch MLS? Emphasis on athleticism over technical ability!

The European game is far more controlled, purposeful. Of course teams can break with speed, but overall the game play is equal if not slower than MLS.

Comment

Do you watch MLS? Emphasis on athleticism over technical ability!

The European game is far more controlled, purposeful. Of course teams can break with speed, but overall the game play is equal if not slower than MLS.
      Depends. Many are slower in end to end pace, but much quicker. Some play at breakneck speed when attacking. Lots of differences.

But, your larger point is correct, I think. MLS does rely on athleticism, where a typical team from another continent will will on controlled athleticism.

Comment

Another thread got me thinking.

How many truly 2 footed players have people seen? I define truly two footed as being able to shoot, cross, dribble and trap a ball with both feet.

How big an advantage is this skill?

Over the years, with multiple players in club and college soccer, both boys and girls, I can honestly say I have seen only a handful of players. Even local YNT level talent aren't often 2 footed. Watching high level soccer professionals it is quickly evident, even with players that are predominately one footed, they are still able to receive and move the ball along from either side of their body. Even if they are incredibly quick and are running around the ball.
        DD is truly both footed and she plays for a top team in a big club.
        I have seen a few lefties in our travels, but lefty girls are pretty rare.
        Both footed? None. There are kids who trained to use their weak foot, but you can tell.

The biggest advantage is that she is very, very well balanced, like a dancer.
        She doesn't get knocked or push off-balanced. She rarely loses the ball since
        she can switch feet at anytime. Hard to describe but it looks like she is dancing with the
        ball where the ball is tied to string to her ankle and it blurs back and forth.

Comment

in 5 years of d1 and 4 of d3 college soccer after multiple years of club and town, only saw 1 girl who was truly 2 footed. right footer that shot and crossed as well, or better, with left. passed great with both. amazingly could trap equally. 2 feet is a huge advantage as it gives many more angles and options to receive and deliver a ball. incredibly rare ability, though with dedication and practice many more players could be much better with their off feet.

Comment

I have only seen two footed players at the youngest ages. By the time they reach first grade, most have reached three feet.

Comment

I think lefty players have most potential to be able to use both feet well. I think for the fact the most of the training is focused on right footed players and most coaches are right footed so the lefties are learning how to use their right foot better. Where as righties don't/ aren't shown on how to use their left foot as much.

Comment

It's no different in other sports - eg most basketball players favor one side, even though they work to improve the less dominant side. Being truly ambidextrous is very rare.

Comment

I think lefty players have most potential to be able to use both feet well. I think for the fact the most of the training is focused on right footed players and most coaches are right footed so the lefties are learning how to use their right foot better. Where as righties don't/ aren't shown on how to use their left foot as much.
                  Agree that working on your weak foot will definitely improve it, but many/most/all true two footed players were born that way. I have a young D that is this way. Left handed kid who doesn't even know whether she's using her left or right foot. Would probably say she's left footed because her shot is stronger with her left, but she prefers to juggle with her right foot.

Comment

It's no different in other sports - eg most basketball players favor one side, even though they work to improve the less dominant side. Being truly ambidextrous is very rare.
                    Rare, except, of course, for the litany of soopastahs' parents posting on here. The New England youth player today appears to be much more two-footed than the rest of the world.

Who knew?

Comment

Rare, except, of course, for the litany of soopastahs' parents posting on here. The New England youth player today appears to be much more two-footed than the rest of the world.

Who knew?
                      I know, right?

Comment

Another thread got me thinking.

How many truly 2 footed players have people seen? I define truly two footed as being able to shoot, cross, dribble and trap a ball with both feet.

How big an advantage is this skill?

Over the years, with multiple players in club and college soccer, both boys and girls, I can honestly say I have seen only a handful of players. Even local YNT level talent aren't often 2 footed. Watching high level soccer professionals it is quickly evident, even with players that are predominately one footed, they are still able to receive and move the ball along from either side of their body. Even if they are incredibly quick and are running around the ball.
                        My 2 sons did a program at Johnson Center in Cambridge several years ago called < Opposite Foot Training> coach Fleming. It was fantastic! Unfortunately he is at Xavier .

Comment

I have only seen two footed players at the youngest ages. By the time they reach first grade, most have reached three feet.
                          Lol. I get you

Comment

slow doesn't belong in soccer
                            Somewhere Juan Roman Riquelme is smiling at this, and would love to see you try and take the ball from him. After you Google who he is of course.

Comment

Somewhere Juan Roman Riquelme is smiling at this, and would love to see you try and take the ball from him. After you Google who he is of course.
                              Xavi was never considered "fast". Cruyff, too.

People get too hung up with linear speed and forget about quickness and anticipation. Johan said it best:

"What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster."

Comment

Burn (and a good one at that)!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X