Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Face it, the system is set up for and by the clubs fro their benefit. Soccer level is NOT getting better, look at both the mens and women's national teams. like education throwing money at it is not the answer. It takes heart and hard work not prima donnas
    I actually think it's getting better, and by a lot. Players today are 2x as good as when I was playing.

Now, if you say we aren't improving at the same rate as the rest of the world, then I agree. But, no doubt, they are better.

Comment

I actually think it's getting better, and by a lot. Players today are 2x as good as when I was playing.

Now, if you say we aren't improving at the same rate as the rest of the world, then I agree. But, no doubt, they are better.
      Christ we better have improved in 20+ years. Problem is we've plateaued, or perhaps made marginal improvements while the rest of the world - which was already light years ahead of us - also continues to improve.

It's not about the amount of money we throw at it (PLENTY of that) or not having the players (plenty of those as well) it's about how players are developed, identified and coached. We do a poor job on all three fronts there. And that's driven by lousy leadership, which again, we have plenty of.

Comment

In a way, I feel like there is a disconnect between these two points of view. (Not trying to be a jerk here... looking for honest discussion).

You are agreeing with the number of leagues being ridiculous and very detrimental to soccer. So, I agree with you. But you are also asking how the training could be done more cheaply and with the same result? I would ask, is it possible that if we stopped having so many competing "elite leagues", the more talented players could truly gravitate to the two elite leagues (as an example), as opposed to being spread out over all these various leagues? As the teams/leagues consolidated, the players could have more local (and better) competition, training, etc... As for "cheaper", I'm not so sure about that since the clubs will continue to determine the fees (and parents will continue to pay). So, I guess my opinion on that is it could be done more cheaply, but it likely won't be simply due to the pressure on the clubs to make money.

The amount of players who are truly elite or of a high level is essentially going to remain the same no matter what. As much as some believe that the more elite leagues, the higher the level of play... I don't see that as happening at all.
        You responded to my post. I think we are in total agreement. If there was a uniform set of lea guest throughout the US (and far fewer) the soccer would be stronger and the developmental path more clear. Ithe may well be cheaper; I thought you were saying that the training could be just as good and cheaper *today*, with our current system. That's what I was questioning.

Comment

Not bad thoughts.

#1 - With so many lower leagues, I don't see how it's watered down. Kids playing in NEC and low-level NEP aren't hurting anyone.

#2 - Interesting. How would that promote player movement? Playing up works for some, not for others, so I think once you start to force a rule in that's tricky.

Last point, 100% agree.
          #1 - All you have to do is look at the situation that the Stars face having to put a team in the GDA and a team in the ECNL. There is no way that they have enough of the quality that the leagues are promoting so the answer will be to bring kids up that otherwise would likely be viewed as not quite good enough to fill the spots. That has a cascade impact and eventually you get to a point where there are kids on bottom level teams that are so far off the pace for the level that their weak play and or lack of effort completely disrupts the flow of the game and negatively impacts everyone's experience.

#2 - You are only talking about 1-2 players per team. That shouldn't be all that hard to find without forcing kids who aren't ready or it would hinder their development to play up.

Comment

Explain how the training can be done more cheaply and with the same result?

Definitely agree the number of leagues is ridiculous and very detrimental to soccer.
            Arguably one of the 5 best youth players developed in Massachusetts didn't play club soccer at all. From his arrival in the US at 9 until he returned to become a professional in Brazil at 16, after his sophomore year in HS, he played town, high school and pick up soccer as well as playing in a summer men's league.

We have discussed Caio here on T-S before. But this more complete link popped up when I quickly searched.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...tucket.432152/

I especially like the Bernie Feilhaber quotes. He pursued Caio for the US U20NT because of his skills not typically found in a US player. Imagine how much better he would have been if the Rev's or Bolts "trained" him starting at 10? ;)

Few players possess Caio's level of skill, athleticism, dedication and innate ability. That said, the club sales pitch of needing to always play tough competition in top leagues and spending thousands of dollars a year is greatly exaggerated.

Comment

If these leagues require players to have med insurance, you can esome players to exit game if they lose insurance coverage

Comment

All of these "elite" leagues are an attempt to force parents hands into paying top dollar for soccer training that can be done much cheaper with the same results.

If your child is a good player, then there is extraordinary pressure placed on the parents to play for abc elite club in xyz elite league. Playing alongside and against strong players is definitely a benefit in development. That said, there is no need to have so many leagues that spread out the local talent and then promote the need to travel to find worthy opponents in other parts of the country.

All of this nonsense just adds to the cost of soccer training for parents. It's gotten out of control.
                You are correct. It has gotten way out of control. There is no end in sight to all this madness.

Comment

Ecnl 2017 - 2018

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....ls-membership/

Comment

This is a discussion about boys (or at least itbwas). There's no ENPL on the girls side.

Comment

You are correct. It has gotten way out of control. There is no end in sight to all this madness.
                      So either play the game or stop paying.

Comment

So either play the game or stop paying.
                        Do npl teams play in the fall in high school? How does that transition happen? My child played this last fall as 8th grader and is playing now. What about ECNL- Is there a difference?

Comment

Do npl teams play in the fall in high school? How does that transition happen? My child played this last fall as 8th grader and is playing now. What about ECNL- Is there a difference?
                          No playing in fall for the high school ages for either league

Comment

Most do not. It just isn't possible to play HS full time AND club during the HS season. Some might have a practice here or there but basically nothing until November. Some states have rules against it all together - you can't play club until your HS is done for the season

Comment

Most do not. It just isn't possible to play HS full time AND club during the HS season. Some might have a practice here or there but basically nothing until November. Some states have rules against it all together - you can't play club until your HS is done for the season
                              How does the change from school year (9.1 - 8.31) to calendar year (01, 02, 03 etc) impact the transition to high school? Most of the kids on the top teams have birthdays in the first quarter or third of the calendar year and many are likewise then a grade ahead. I assume those kids won't play club fall of freshman year. What option do the later birth months have?

Comment

How does the change from school year (9.1 - 8.31) to calendar year (01, 02, 03 etc) impact the transition to high school? Most of the kids on the top teams have birthdays in the first quarter or third of the calendar year and many are likewise then a grade ahead. I assume those kids won't play club fall of freshman year. What option do the later birth months have?
                                This our clubs 02 boys team had a fall training and games during the fall. The kids that were freshman in high school attended training when they could and most attended games. I know all clubs were not the same.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X