Dear Parents of Kids in the Highest Brackets at Local Showcase Tournaments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post seems at odds with everything I have seen and heard. That is, coaches do not want parents doing the work, they want the players to do it. Sure, you can nag your kid about making phone calls, sending emails, etc, but the coaches want to know the interest level and work ethic of the kid they will be coaching for 4 years.

A "DWI" can also be a killer in the recruiting process where those initials stand for "Dad Wrote It."

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Nothing random about it all. In fact quite the opposite. Have to know exactly where your kid fits and work real hard before the event to get the coach there. It's hard work which is why lazy parents seem to like the idea that all they need to do is send their kid to showcase and poof scholarship offers drop out of the sky.
      I was referring to this post.

Comment

you are truly ignorant, but that's ok.
        I'm ignorant because your kid is on a C team and goes to a middle of the pack public school?

Comment

In this environment today this is basically a wives tale because the teams are all so watered down. Not uncommon at all to have kids who won't play in college on high level teams and then have kids who will be studs in college on relatively unheralded ones. A lot of that has to do with personal choices made very early in the game and whether or not clubs kept families happy over the years. The bottom line is there are a lot of choices out there and not everyone makes the same ones so this little formula above no longer applies.
          Nice going, BTNT. Don't let anything slip by.

I see that we're back to leagues and clubs don't matter. Guess the duplicity will never end.

Comment

My daughter is playing in college now on a D1 team. Her recruiting year had kids going D1 from a broad spectrum of teams and some were on relatively poor teams though I wouldn't exactly call them crappy. During her time in club soccer there was a lot of transition in the environment so it wasn't all that uncommon to see fairly good players on some fairly weak teams. My point was that this idea that you have to be on a top level team to get recruited is really a myth largely perpetuated by the ECNL clubs to justify travelling all over the country. In the end if your kid actually did score 30 goals for their club team and then did it again for her high school team the college coaches won't care as much about the level as they will her composure in front of the net. True goal scorers are cherished because they are hard to find.
            Gonna blame the Russian hack on ECNL too, BTDT?

Comment

NPL is basically C team territory these days. That's best case scenario. Maybe they grab a few kids from NPL but that's about it. Even then you better be enrolled at Rivers, BB&N or Nobles if you want to crack D3.
              My kid will beat your DA kid at every sport under the sun, including soccer. And then, when they hit 15, he'll not only know how to play basketball, baseball, and ski for the rest of his life, among a host of other enjoyable sports, he'll also know how to put those skills - passing lanes, placement, roles, team work/individual, anticipation, etc, into a soccer context... and he'll still love soccer, which is the best part. So when your kid is tired and burned out from traveling around to help the coaches make a name for themselves, he'll simply take your son's DA spot when he is good and ready.

Comment

My kid will beat your DA kid at every sport under the sun, including soccer. And then, when they hit 15, he'll not only know how to play basketball, baseball, and ski for the rest of his life, among a host of other enjoyable sports, he'll also know how to put those skills - passing lanes, placement, roles, team work/individual, anticipation, etc, into a soccer context... and he'll still love soccer, which is the best part. So when your kid is tired and burned out from traveling around to help the coaches make a name for themselves, he'll simply take your son's DA spot when he is good and ready.
                Awww. This is so cute. Mama bear feels like she needs to protect her little cub.

Comment

Awww. This is so cute. Mama bear feels like she needs to protect her little cub.
                  Actually that parent makes a good point. So many kids just get burnt out and quit and then add in the kids that quit because of sitting on a bench while "guest" players take the playing time it's no wonder the drop put rate at 14/15 is so high.

Comment

Actually that parent makes a good point. So many kids just get burnt out and quit and then add in the kids that quit because of sitting on a bench while "guest" players take the playing time it's no wonder the drop put rate at 14/15 is so high.
                    Not that many guest players in DA.

Comment

I can't believe this amazingly athletic stud hasn't been discovered by the top teams yet.

Comment

What would make you think my "DA kid" doesn't play basketball? He played baseball too but it bored him to death. Every Summer they asked him to play all-stars but he turned them down. The local American football coaches keep asking him to join their team. He rock climbs, kayaks & surfs all Summer. If it makes you feel better to think your son will be the next Bo Jackson then have at it. As for my kid, he's perfectly well rounded and using every muscle group across various athletic endeavors. Good luck in the NEP.

Comment

What would make you think my "DA kid" doesn't play basketball? He played baseball too but it bored him to death. Every Summer they asked him to play all-stars but he turned them down. The local American football coaches keep asking him to join their team. He rock climbs, kayaks & surfs all Summer. If it makes you feel better to think your son will be the next Bo Jackson then have at it. As for my kid, he's perfectly well rounded and using every muscle group across various athletic endeavors. Good luck in the NEP.
                          Mine will make a living playing soccer. Will yours?

Comment

Mine will make a living playing soccer. Will yours?
                            Define making a living playing soccer? This should get really interesting. I honestly can't wait for your reply about your U13 soccer son.

Comment

Define making a living playing soccer? This should get really interesting. I honestly can't wait for your reply about your U13 soccer son.
                              Well how about this, I just did my kid's tax return for last year and while in high school they made more than $3K working soccer camps last summer. Can your high school age soccer player beat that from soccer?

Comment

Well how about this, I just did my kid's tax return for last year and while in high school they made more than $3K working soccer camps last summer. Can your high school age soccer player beat that from soccer?
                                They should have become refs. Making $3k is easy when you make $40/hr, and they wouldn't be limited to the Summer. That's hardly making a living from soccer. Hopefully that wasn't what you were talking about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X