Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Did they catch those slow French players?
    This is a very relevant point. The US used to be able to get out of a lot of trouble spots, and also create scoring opportunities, by relying largely on their speed. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to notice that France has some very fast players on display these days. Easily the equal of the fastest US women in terms of raw speed, and often showing evidence of better skill on the ball as well.

Someone earlier commented about the tendency of the US to evidence a semi-frantic response when faced with pressure. I agree and feel this is a coaching issue as much as it is a technical/tactical one. Only occasionally was the US able to demonstrate an ability solve pressure with composure and accurate passing. More common was the tendency to resort to the rushed, long clearance out of the back, with many of those landing at the feet of a French midfielder or defender and with that, the French attack could simply be started anew.

I do agree with those who see talent in some of the US roster, but more changes would seem to be in order.

Comment

This is a very relevant point. The US used to be able to get out of a lot of trouble spots, and also create scoring opportunities, by relying largely on their speed. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to notice that France has some very fast players on display these days. Easily the equal of the fastest US women in terms of raw speed, and often showing evidence of better skill on the ball as well.

Someone earlier commented about the tendency of the US to evidence a semi-frantic response when faced with pressure. I agree and feel this is a coaching issue as much as it is a technical/tactical one. Only occasionally was the US able to demonstrate an ability solve pressure with composure and accurate passing. More common was the tendency to resort to the rushed, long clearance out of the back, with many of those landing at the feet of a French midfielder or defender and with that, the French attack could simply be started anew.

I do agree with those who see talent in some of the US roster, but more changes would seem to be in order.

We are too white.

Comment

We are too white.
        How many French girls are not participating in soccer due to lower incomes?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2000491]

Let me know when they replace with them short, black lower class players.

Idiot
          Well, having a lot of black players seems to have a positive effect on France...3-0 winners over the USA...Once you go black, you don't go back...

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2000655]

Well, having a lot of black players seems to have a positive effect on France...3-0 winners over the USA...Once you go black, you don't go back...
            Dripping with racism.

Comment

The stadium was empty.
              "I believe" (get it) that RFK stadium holds over 100,000.
              So even the Pats couldn't fill it.
              But, a poor choice, regardless.

Comment

I agree with the poster who said the French team has some very fast players. Our backs got smoked in two breakaways by a French forward, giving up a penalty and a goal. Also, Press was ineffective mostly because her speed was negated by equally fast French players. Dunn was much more effective because she has better skill on the ball and more creativity in the attack.

I also agree with the poster who said a four back system wouldn't have given up 2 of those goals.Having only 3 backs and some ineffective defensive mids probably contributed to the hectic play out of pressure as players just didn't have many options but to send it long. Didn't help that Lloyd's work rate was crap.

Comment

I am, however, optimistic of the future of the USWNT. I've been pretty impressed watching the U9-U11 girls at my kid's club playing just before his practice and see they are playing the right way, with lots of skill and creativity. Hopefully, those types of players make it through the selection process in the future, and are not discarded in favor of the big, fast girls.....
                  Don't be too optimistic. Our current system will mess these kids up real soon.

U.S. youth, even the boy's, are fairly equal with the rest of the world until middle school. Most of the top ones mess around with the ball plenty, attend camps, and play club, town, and indoor soccer. They are getting plenty of touches and solving problems on their own.

Unfortunately, right when other countries are ramping up, scheduling their best to train more, the U.S. does the opposite. Our kids barely have their ball on their feet enough to retain skills, let alone improve them and learn team play. As defenders get faster, stronger and more organized, the skills, creativity and team play required to continue to best them isn't acquired. The play devolves, coaches try to win by doubling down on physical, athletic play that was successful at the youth ages and the team concepts are never imparted.

Skilled, intelligent players can't improve, or even obtain playing time, in the brute force style of play most clubs and 95% of colleges utilize. National team play reflects our nations youth system.

It is a vicious cycle. Which came first: crap play or unskilled players? Chicken meet egg. Egg meet chicken. Both realize you're about to be eaten alive by overseas competition. What a fuster cluck.

Comment

50,000-ish, not 100.

Comment

You were only off by 54,000+.

Capacity is 46,000.

Comment

and it has taken way less resources and way fewer female players than participate in the u.s. to close the gap because many of the soccer nations evaluate and encourage the right skills and abilities. if the women's game becomes popular and many more girls join in these soccer countries we will find ourselves increasingly less competitive unless we truly revamp the system. player evaluations, expectations, coaching all need to improve. even refereeing has to change to encourage skilled play rather than reward brute force.
                        Pay to play youth system that picks the early bloomers first every time. Then, the wealthy of the early bloomers advance the most through the system since they can most afford the money & time the extra opportunities take. Pick the creative technical players from uLittles and find a way to pay their way if needed. Pugh, Dunn & Lavelle are small technical players so there is starting to be hope. However, they had the money & at least Pugh's dad was a coach so...imagine if we opened up the elite pathway to ALL creative, talented girls & not just the bigger wealthier ones.

Comment

I agree with the poster who said the French team has some very fast players. Our backs got smoked in two breakaways by a French forward, giving up a penalty and a goal. Also, Press was ineffective mostly because her speed was negated by equally fast French players. Dunn was much more effective because she has better skill on the ball and more creativity in the attack.

I also agree with the poster who said a four back system wouldn't have given up 2 of those goals.Having only 3 backs and some ineffective defensive mids probably contributed to the hectic play out of pressure as players just didn't have many options but to send it long. Didn't help that Lloyd's work rate was crap.
                          Other teams now have the speed and physicality of the US, so it comes down to skill, which we don't have across the board. Lloyd is a finisher, she should be playing up top, same as in the World Cup. She was sloppy and looked like she didn't want to be there, absolutely no fire (and she's the captain!!!). And Morgan isn't much better. The US needs to step it up in terms of technical ability on the ball, creativity, and speed of play. We can no longer compete just on speed and size....

Comment

Don't be too optimistic. Our current system will mess these kids up real soon.

U.S. youth, even the boy's, are fairly equal with the rest of the world until middle school. Most of the top ones mess around with the ball plenty, attend camps, and play club, town, and indoor soccer. They are getting plenty of touches and solving problems on their own.

Unfortunately, right when other countries are ramping up, scheduling their best to train more, the U.S. does the opposite. Our kids barely have their ball on their feet enough to retain skills, let alone improve them and learn team play. As defenders get faster, stronger and more organized, the skills, creativity and team play required to continue to best them isn't acquired. The play devolves, coaches try to win by doubling down on physical, athletic play that was successful at the youth ages and the team concepts are never imparted.

Skilled, intelligent players can't improve, or even obtain playing time, in the brute force style of play most clubs and 95% of colleges utilize. National team play reflects our nations youth system.

It is a vicious cycle. Which came first: crap play or unskilled players? Chicken meet egg. Egg meet chicken. Both realize you're about to be eaten alive by overseas competition. What a fuster cluck.
                            At least they broadcast the tournament for young players to watch and learn what is possible.

It means there is a viewing audience for it so many with time. Lot and lots of time.

Comment

Playing comfortably under pressure is a coaching job, but at much younger ages than on display here. This is a failure of the youth system to recognize that pressure training at young ages is crucial to the game. Years of long ball and results driven coaching at youth has doomed our nat'l program and there is no end in sight.
                              It matters not what level your kid plays at if the training does not include excessive playing under pressure technical coaching. Ecnl, dap, gdap blah, blah are too focused on results and college recruitment.
                              Our first touch is embarrassing, on mens natl, womens natl and mls.

Comment

At least they broadcast the tournament for young players to watch and learn what is possible.
                                what is possible? i hope our kids were watching france!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X