Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have been involved with club soccer for the past 12 years so very familiar with all those clubs. The funny thing is that everyone pushed for mergers saying it would help the advancement of the players. It would give us a chance to compete against the other states that didn't have a soccer club on every corner.That was the thought but I don't think things are really improved. RSL, Strictly Soccer, and Blackwatch all had some pretty good teams back in the days.

I think the argument of needing to merge to compete has gone out the window with the existence of the DA and ECNL now. The top players will typically gravitate towards those clubs. All the mergers have done is hurt the consumer as there are fewer options. In the old days you had 5 different clubs within driving distance. Now you only have one option or having to drive an hour. I think the smaller clubs work out better for 80 to 90% of the kids and then you have your academies for top 20%.
    I wish there were still other options. My son plays at a large club and the A team in his age group is top 10 in the state, but the B team is weak D2 at best. My son is a lower level D1 or top D2 player so neither team is a great fit. He can't make the A team but is the best player on the B team. Maybe it is just a freak circumstance that there is such disparity between the two teams. The problem is that there is not another option as the previous 5 local clubs have gone away/merged so he either has to play on a team that is a bad fit or encounter a long drive. I can see the point of driving for DA if you are a top player, but seems crazy to have to travel to play D2.

Comment

I wish there were still other options. My son plays at a large club and the A team in his age group is top 10 in the state, but the B team is weak D2 at best. My son is a lower level D1 or top D2 player so neither team is a great fit. He can't make the A team but is the best player on the B team. Maybe it is just a freak circumstance that there is such disparity between the two teams. The problem is that there is not another option as the previous 5 local clubs have gone away/merged so he either has to play on a team that is a bad fit or encounter a long drive. I can see the point of driving for DA if you are a top player, but seems crazy to have to travel to play D2.
      There are a few medium sized clubs still around which, depending on the age group, provide a competitive A team to the top clubs but which might have have kids coming from all over for the premier team such that you get that huge disparity. Of course they may not be close to you, but if they are you may want to use the April tryouts to check them out. I would put West Pasco, Wesley Chapel, Dunedin/GPS and Lutz in this category. It may be more hit and miss, particularly on the girls side, but it might be worth a look.

Comment

I added some others at the bottom that either merged or folded

Valrico Soccer Club
        South Hillsborough
        Florida Revolution
        Lakeland Lazers
        Manatee Magic
        OP here. You have a better memory than I. My oldest played against every one of those clubs except Revolution. I had completely forgotten about Valrico and the others

Comment

Cooper City wont fold as they are an Optimist that besides soccer, have football, softball, hockey, rec soccer program, etc.
          I meant their U10 Boy's team.

Comment

I meant their U10 Boy's team.
            They will have to fold. Those kids can't play for CCO once they've signed with Barca and Juve.

Comment

OP here. You have a better memory than I. My oldest played against every one of those clubs except Revolution. I had completely forgotten about Valrico and the others
              South Hillsborough became FL Revolution and then later became an affiliate of the Houston Dynamo. Valrico merged with FL Revolution and both went under the name Houston Dynamo Tampa. Then once Orlando City was awarded an MLS franchise then the Houston Dynamo were no longer allowed to sponsor a club in the area. They have since changed their name to just Tampa Dynamo.

Comment

Countryside Lightning

I added Countryside who merged with Clearwater

Lakeland Highlands
                Zephyrhills
                Central Pasco
                Hudson (?)
                New Tampa
                Fusion
                Blackwatch
                Player's Club
                Countryside
                Tampa Knights
                RSL
                East Lake
                Palm Harbor Nighthawks
                Pinellas Park
                Manasota

Valrico Soccer Club
                South Hillsborough
                Florida Revolution
                Lakeland Lazers
                Manatee Magic
                Countryside Lightning

Comment

I added Hillsborough County United and Largo United, both which merged into TBU

Lakeland Highlands
                  Zephyrhills
                  Central Pasco
                  Hudson (?)
                  New Tampa
                  Fusion
                  Blackwatch
                  Player's Club
                  Countryside
                  Tampa Knights
                  RSL
                  East Lake
                  Palm Harbor Nighthawks
                  Pinellas Park
                  Manasota

Valrico Soccer Club
                  South Hillsborough
                  Florida Revolution
                  Lakeland Lazers
                  Manatee Magic
                  Countryside Lightning
                  Hillsborough County United
                  Largo United
                  ^^^
                  ^^^

Comment

Northdale
                    Carrollwood
                    Greater North Tampa

All became HCU

Comment

Northdale
                      Carrollwood
                      Greater North Tampa

All became HCU
                      Then HCU merged with RSL and became TBU

Comment

Then HCU merged with RSL and became TBU
                        And then TBU was about to merge with WFF when ..... Drop the Mic

Comment

Northdale
                          Carrollwood
                          Greater North Tampa

All became HCU
                          That all pre-dates me. Ddd HCU come together when the Ed Radice complex opened?

Comment

Cooper City just folded.

Comment

Uh duh, not only does Player Club exist they have the U12 DA...
                              haha, a joke of da, one that gets beat 11-0 and 19-0 on regular basis, look it up

http://pctb.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams...p?team=1643568

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X