Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British/English soccer coaches ?

So what is with the English coach thing, last spring we had Some company come in to town and boast great coaching from professionals who came over from the U.K. And then again in the fall from a different company but again with English coaches and I have found out we are having the same n the spring. But I don't get it it, for the most part it's a group of spotty teenagers picking up cones with one older guy who has a little knowledge of what he is doing. How long has this been going on for ?

U 10 Rec parent

It's been going on for as long as town teams have been impressed by nothing more than an English accent, which is to say for the better part of 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So what is with the English coach thing, last spring we had Some company come in to town and boast great coaching from professionals who came over from the U.K. And then again in the fall from a different company but again with English coaches and I have found out we are having the same n the spring. But I don't get it it, for the most part it's a group of spotty teenagers picking up cones with one older guy who has a little knowledge of what he is doing. How long has this been going on for ?

U 10 Rec parent
      The older guy.....was he wearing a track suit by chance?

Comment

Haha yes he typically wears a tracksuit, with very skinny pants

Comment

U 10 Rec parent
          He apparently has more knowledge than you. He is coaching and you are here bitching about it.

Comment

U 10 Rec parent
            There are multiple companies well entrenched in the business of bringing over coaches, usually on short term visas, that help run local rec and some travel programs. Lower level programs often times can't find enough volunteer coaches or have made the decision to not rely on volunteer coaches for multiple reasons. Some of these coaches can be quite good, others not so much. But that can be said of volunteer coaches also.

Comment

U 10 Rec parent
              your kid is still playing Rec at U10??? the british guys dog could coach that

Comment

your kid is still playing Rec at U10??? the british guys dog could coach that
                How obnoxious.

-- not the OP (parent of an older premier player)

Comment

How obnoxious.

Shhhhhh, you'll disturb him. He's currently sitting in a course getting his B license. Yea, suuuuuuure, when he can do keyboard coaching. Let him be, this is his only outlet before homeroom starts.

Comment

How obnoxious.

There's a lot of di*ks on this board who demean anyone who ins't a club stud by U11. Who cares as long as kids are playing, having fun, loving the game. We'll never build a soccer culture if only club players are allowed to play the game

Comment

There's a lot of di*ks on this board who demean anyone who ins't a club stud by U11. Who cares as long as kids are playing, having fun, loving the game. We'll never build a soccer culture if only club players are allowed to play the game
                      this is so spot-on.

Comment

Kids in their early 20s take a temp job to come here and "coach" over the summer. It's like a vacation for them, their company moves them around the area, they try to get local families to host so there's no hotel costs, and these "coaches" have a competition amongst themselves to see who can sleep with the most soccer moms. Along the way some rec and town travel kids do some running around cones and after a soccer ball. At the end of the summer these "coaches" go back home.

Comment

Kids in their early 20s take a temp job to come here and "coach" over the summer. It's like a vacation for them, their company moves them around the area, they try to get local families to host so there's no hotel costs, and these "coaches" have a competition amongst themselves to see who can sleep with the most soccer moms. Along the way some rec and town travel kids do some running around cones and after a soccer ball. At the end of the summer these "coaches" go back home.
                          plus they get some dental care for the first time in their young lives.

Comment

There are multiple companies well entrenched in the business of bringing over coaches, usually on short term visas, that help run local rec and some travel programs. Lower level programs often times can't find enough volunteer coaches or have made the decision to not rely on volunteer coaches for multiple reasons. Some of these coaches can be quite good, others not so much. But that can be said of volunteer coaches also.
                            I'd agree with this 100%. It's hit or miss. But they do fill a void where coaches are missing or need help. A good club will monitor the progress and talk to the company if they see shortcomings. We did that in the past when my son was in town soccer.

Comment

plus they get some dental care for the first time in their young lives.
                              Ha! Socialized medicine in Britain means they have access to more dental care than underinsured Americans.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X