Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast shoud a good youth soccer player run?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    parents with fast kids will say speed is the most important thing to have, parents with slow kids will say speed doesn't matter, parents with small kids will cite Messi and his 5.5 stature, parents with tall kids will say.... bla bla bla

watch an english premier game , I don't see anyone slow , except for center backs and goalie
    your kid cannot be slow and play at a high level. but they don't need to be bolt either.

what matters is speed with the ball at your feet. how fast can a player go while controlling their dribble.

Comment

your kid cannot be slow and play at a high level. but they don't need to be bolt either.

what matters is speed with the ball at your feet. how fast can a player go while controlling their dribble.
      Yes. Any more four legged friend soccer pictures?

Comment

parents with fast kids will say speed is the most important thing to have, parents with slow kids will say speed doesn't matter, parents with small kids will cite Messi and his 5.5 stature, parents with tall kids will say.... bla bla bla

watch an english premier game , I don't see anyone slow , except for center backs and goalie
        English premier League? Give me a break. The only thing tat makes it worth watching is all the south american players they buy. When is the last time that England won anything?

Comment

Exactly

Comment

you took the troll bait - not only the mile but the world record for the 100 was 9.8 seconds by Usain Bolt. But Bolt wouldn't be able to juggle the ball in the process
            9.58 into a 1 mph wind. Even more amazing is he ran the 1st 40 "meters" not yards in 3.6 seconds.

For the most part speed in a necessity in soccer, but more importantly it's what done with the speed that's most important. A player will cover anywhere from 3-6 miles per game, depending on position. Most of this will be at a jogging pace with a little walking here and there. The part that is most difficult to maintain is the 20 to 50 yard sprints, and at times 70-80 yards if you have fullbacks inserted into the attacks. IMO, there is not enough time spent building this kind of endurance.

Comment

4.8 forty yard dash is expected, anything better is gravy!!

Comment

It is amazing to hear most of you 'experts' in TS (except a few posters) just troll, denigrate and second-guess a simple reasonable question. You can not be 'fast with the ball' if you are not fast enough to begin with. I have a team where I would like to help kids improve with objective speed targets. If I am 11 yeard old and want to be D1 or DA material someday, how fast should I run without the ball? How fast shoul I run on a straight line with the ball withou loosing control? Does anyone have a table for target speed according to kids age? I guess a track team would have one. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

just fast enough to run away from (insert name)

Comment

It is amazing to hear most of you 'experts' in TS (except a few posters) just troll, denigrate and second-guess a simple reasonable question. You can not be 'fast with the ball' if you are not fast enough to begin with. I have a team where I would like to help kids improve with objective speed targets. If I am 11 yeard old and want to be D1 or DA material someday, how fast should I run without the ball? How fast shoul I run on a straight line with the ball withou loosing control? Does anyone have a table for target speed according to kids age? I guess a track team would have one. Any help would be appreciated.
                    The track team is tearing my kid's legs up, and there is a big difference in running the mile endurance and sprinting .

Comment

they should run at max 42mph

4 minute mile

10 second 100
                      If your son is Roger Bannister or Usain Bolt.

Comment

Any smart parent would run far, far away from this forum!!!

Comment

I'll try to help you out the best I can. Your son is only going to be as fast as his natural ability will allow. This may also change as he moves toward puberty as well, but rarely do we see a slower kid get faster after puberty. However, I have seen many times where they become slower, especially with females. So let me ask you; If and when the team does sprints 1/2 or full field, doesn't matter, is he staying with the front, middle or bringing up the rear? If he is staying with the front, or even the middle, he'll be fine. The best thing you can do for him is correcting his 1st step, and how he moves left and right while running in a straight line. If he is a defender, that 1st step becomes even more critical.

My son, who was 15 at the time has above average speed and was timed at 4.81 in the 40 at a college camp. I was surprised they even did that kind of thing there, but he was in the top 1/4 of all the 15/16's. He had another camp coming up a few months later, and he wanted to have a better time, because we're all enamored with the "40" times these days right? So being that I am a licensed USATF track coach I told him I would help him. I corrected his form, and focused mainly on the first 5-6 steps, and of course his start. I found you could shave of 1 1/4 sec just coming out of a three point stance. So he ran 4.69, at the next camp which put him in the top 3. This was great and all, but at the end of the day the form he used to run a fast straight line will make him a worse player on the field. So don't hire a track coach to get speed out of you kid..lol

This is how I feel about this sport in particular. I'd take a 4.8 player with intelligence, can read the game, and has quick 1st step over a 4.6 player any day.

Comment

I'll try to help you out the best I can. Your son is only going to be as fast as his natural ability will allow. This may also change as he moves toward puberty as well, but rarely do we see a slower kid get faster after puberty. However, I have seen many times where they become slower, especially with females. So let me ask you; If and when the team does sprints 1/2 or full field, doesn't matter, is he staying with the front, middle or bringing up the rear? If he is staying with the front, or even the middle, he'll be fine. The best thing you can do for him is correcting his 1st step, and how he moves left and right while running in a straight line. If he is a defender, that 1st step becomes even more critical.

My son, who was 15 at the time has above average speed and was timed at 4.81 in the 40 at a college camp. I was surprised they even did that kind of thing there, but he was in the top 1/4 of all the 15/16's. He had another camp coming up a few months later, and he wanted to have a better time, because we're all enamored with the "40" times these days right? So being that I am a licensed USATF track coach I told him I would help him. I corrected his form, and focused mainly on the first 5-6 steps, and of course his start. I found you could shave of 1 1/4 sec just coming out of a three point stance. So he ran 4.69, at the next camp which put him in the top 3. This was great and all, but at the end of the day the form he used to run a fast straight line will make him a worse player on the field. So don't hire a track coach to get speed out of you kid..lol

This is how I feel about this sport in particular. I'd take a 4.8 player with intelligence, can read the game, and has quick 1st step over a 4.6 player any day.
                            "shave off 1/4 sec"

Comment

I always tell my girls team that we need to move the ball because the ball will travel faster than the defenders chasing it. Now that it has been revealed that there are kids faster than a ball, I need a new strategy.

Comment

Actually I have seen several times where a slower kid when young, after hitting puberty will increase in speed where they are not in top group, but more than adequate.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X