X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What is ouch about it?

It appears that the level of competition between the GPS memorial day tournament and the Needham memorial day tournament is rather similar. Needham has more Stars and FC Boston teams. GPS has more NEFC and GPS (duh!) teams. Neither has alot of the top teams in those clubs, because many of them skip memorial day tournaments these days because of their State Cup runs.
    No Academy teams and the best of the rest skip for State Cup. It's a GPS scrimmage-fest with some middling clubs added for variety. At least Needham has Valeo.

Comment

No Academy teams and the best of the rest skip for State Cup. It's a GPS scrimmage-fest with some middling clubs added for variety. At least Needham has Valeo.
      are there ever academy teams?

Comment

No thanks. Needham is just fine in May.

Needham would be fine, however the Needham tournament has expanded so much that only a small part was actually played in Needham. It had already expanded from Lancaster to Boston. Needham trusted GPS to be a partner and got the Bradley stick up the arse.

Both directing bodies are losing out by having split one of the largest tournaments in the country. It remains to be seen what will come of it. So far GPS has successfully run some very mediocre tournaments. The GPS fields ware also spread out far and wide.....but they don't seem to have the Gan Academy.

My concern with using UMASS Amherst as the college showcase is that they might not have enough quality fields; either great grass fields or turf fields. This is a downfall for the Needham soccer club to hold the showcase 90 minutes away from the central site. Would have preferred the Gan Academy.

That said, neither tournament seems set on having the best local area teams attending except that the Bolts now have an opportunity to hold a DAP showcase event in Mass. that will attract the college coaches.

Comment

What if next year DAP and GDAP both decide to go to needham? Would that make NEFC have to think about going to GPS?
          The over/under 6 GPS teams in each age group at their tournament what would you take over or under?

Comment

What if next year DAP and GDAP both decide to go to needham? Would that make NEFC have to think about going to GPS?
            The over/under 6 GPS teams in each age group at their tournament what would you take over or under?
            All the NEFC teams at the GPS tournament are C and D teams. Who cares.

Comment

At least we can all take some comfort in knowing GPS will still stack its brackets so they get the most GotSoccer points. I love them for it. It always benefits my kids team.

Comment

They would never do that, so stop dreaming. They have too much to lose by playing against the peasants

Comment

They would never do that, so stop dreaming. They have too much to lose by playing against the peasants
                  No silly. DA only plays DA. Those hackers in NEP might hurt someone with actual talent. It would be a DA only bracket.

Comment

More clubs will support GPS. GPS teams heading to some of the clubs smaller events has a huge impact for them. These numbers next year will only go more in favor of the GPS event. With pretty much every club running tournaments having gps attend does a lot for the numbers, it's a numbers business right??!!

Comment

More clubs will support GPS. GPS teams heading to some of the clubs smaller events has a huge impact for them. These numbers next year will only go more in favor of the GPS event. With pretty much every club running tournaments having gps attend does a lot for the numbers, it's a numbers business right??!!
                      Really? If Needham ever put an Academy division in you would see other non-DA clubs go to Needham as well just because college coaches would flock to the tournament. As it stands I thing the Needham Showcase being hosted in a small area in Western MA will really hurt coach attendance this year at GPS. The clubs will follow the coaches. No club likes GPS. No club likes playing 3 GPS teams in their bracket at a tournament. Your statement is comical.

Comment

Really? If Needham ever put an Academy division in you would see other non-DA clubs go to Needham as well just because college coaches would flock to the tournament. As it stands I thing the Needham Showcase being hosted in a small area in Western MA will really hurt coach attendance this year at GPS. The clubs will follow the coaches. No club likes GPS. No club likes playing 3 GPS teams in their bracket at a tournament. Your statement is comical.
                        Your statements on GPS are circular.
                        If GPS teams are as bad as you say, and they falsely manufacture GPS points, then wouldn't an outside team welcome the opportunity to play 3 GPS teams in a points rich bracket?

positioning of "a small area in western ma" as an advantage for Needham is what is comical.

Comment

Your statements on GPS are circular.
                          If GPS teams are as bad as you say, and they falsely manufacture GPS points, then wouldn't an outside team welcome the opportunity to play 3 GPS teams in a points rich bracket?

positioning of "a small area in western ma" as an advantage for Needham is what is comical.
                          I didn't say anything about points. Teams don't need to play 3 different GPS teams at every GPS tournament. They can do that during one of the GPS tournaments that don't coincide with other large local tournaments. Why not play other competition? Any competition other than a 3 GPS teams over 2 days would be welcome to most. Only certain teams care about points anyway and most are GPS.

Western MA is better for several reasons. Hotel rooms are cheaper. Traffic is better. There is next to no travel to catch different teams and players so time management is easier. Everything about it lends itself to less effort. Work smarter not harder. GPS will have coaches scrambling from the North Shore to RI. It's a logistical disaster.

Good luck at GPS.

Comment

This always puzzles me...if you are playing GPS Maine, GPS Rhode Island, GPS Central Mass, GPS NH, etc. ....who the heck cares what is says in the jersey? They have no affiliation with each other.

It's the same with Stars, NEFC, and any other club with multiple geographic teams.

I could care what the jersey says, as long as the games are competitive.

Comment

This always puzzles me...if you are playing GPS Maine, GPS Rhode Island, GPS Central Mass, GPS NH, etc. ....who the heck cares what is says in the jersey? They have no affiliation with each other.

It's the same with Stars, NEFC, and any other club with multiple geographic teams.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Comment

Here is the breakdown for you:

Boys U11: 14 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/2 GPS NY/2 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U12: 20 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS NY/2 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U13: 14 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/3 GPS RI/3 GPS NH

Boys U14: 16 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/3 GPS RI/3 GPS NH

Boys U15: 13 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/2 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/4 GPS NH/1 GPS NJ

Boys U16: 12 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U17: 13 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/1 GPS NH/1 GPS PR

Boys U18: 4 GPS MA teams/1 GPS NH

Boys U19: 4 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS RI

I don't have the time or energy to break the girl's bracket down. I'm sure you get the idea.

There are 110 GPS boys teams in MA? For the love of God, that's ridiculous.

There are 48 GPS boys teams from locations outside of MA involved.

Luckily for all involved there are 105 GPS "Elite" boys teams playing that weekend.

How does any other club in New England manage to field a decent team when GPS has more than 2,000 "elite" players under contract?

NEFC has less than half that number of boys teams in their whole club. Stars? They have 24 boys teams. Your argument about playing in NEFC or Stars tournaments and playing several of the host's teams doesn't seem to hold much water.

The smart clubs will eventually realize there are several other GPS tournaments during the year where they can play 3 GPS MA teams in a weekend. Doesn't it make sense to play Needham over Memorial Day to get a little variety for once?

Needham has 35 Bolts boys teams participating from U11 to U18. Your chances of playing several different teams are significantly better at Needham.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X