Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College ID Clinics

I hesitate asking for advice on this site since those that due tend to get slammed. I can guarantee that I am not BTDT (whoever that is) so please don't think I am posting this to make any point - just looking for info.

Do the College ID clinics make any sense? I am not talking about the ID camps, but the clinics a College Coach will conduct for a few hours on a Saturday. In the back of my mind I think they are nothing but a way for the coach and assistant coach(s) to make a few bucks. On the other hand a clinic may be a way for a prospective student to judge the school and the program and to see if the coach is someone the player would be comfortable with.

My son will be a HS Senior this year and needs to start his college search. He is certainly not a D1 soccer player and D2 may be a stretch, but I think he could play for many D3 schools. Assume all the standard stuff - strong player on his club soccer team, strong player on his school team - but not the star on either team.

He would like to play in college, but that will not be the deciding factor. He is not going to attend a school just so he can play soccer and I am not looking for any money considerations outside what is available to any non-athlete applicants at a prospective school. The programs offered, the environment of the school, and the academics will be the deciding factors. If soccer gives him some preference in getting admitted to his school of choice, then that may be enough.

I think relying on a coach coming to watch him play at some Tournament is not likely and this may be a way for him to be noticed that would probably not happen under normal circumstances.

Does showing up at these clinics help a kid get recruited especially if the kid shows an interest in the school or are they nothing more than a money grab?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I hesitate asking for advice on this site since those that due tend to get slammed. I can guarantee that I am not BTDT (whoever that is) so please don't think I am posting this to make any point - just looking for info.

Do the College ID clinics make any sense? I am not talking about the ID camps, but the clinics a College Coach will conduct for a few hours on a Saturday. In the back of my mind I think they are nothing but a way for the coach and assistant coach(s) to make a few bucks. On the other hand a clinic may be a way for a prospective student to judge the school and the program and to see if the coach is someone the player would be comfortable with.

My son will be a HS Senior this year and needs to start his college search. He is certainly not a D1 soccer player and D2 may be a stretch, but I think he could play for many D3 schools. Assume all the standard stuff - strong player on his club soccer team, strong player on his school team - but not the star on either team.

He would like to play in college, but that will not be the deciding factor. He is not going to attend a school just so he can play soccer and I am not looking for any money considerations outside what is available to any non-athlete applicants at a prospective school. The programs offered, the environment of the school, and the academics will be the deciding factors. If soccer gives him some preference in getting admitted to his school of choice, then that may be enough.

I think relying on a coach coming to watch him play at some Tournament is not likely and this may be a way for him to be noticed that would probably not happen under normal circumstances.

Does showing up at these clinics help a kid get recruited especially if the kid shows an interest in the school or are they nothing more than a money grab?
    Here we go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Here we go again.
      Fuk You!

Comment

From what we've seen and discussions with others it's the big camps, usually with overnights, that are the real money makers. They get 150 kids, feed them pizza for 3 days, have low costs because they use empty dorms. The small ones with under 50 players give a coach a better look at players they're interested in. If the school is one your son is really interested in there's no harm in trying. Make sure he reaches out beforehand to express interest. But I'd take a look at their current roster and see where players come from. If they're not from the same level as your son then save your money.

Comment

I have been through the recruitment process with multiple kids.

>Do the College ID clinics make any sense? I am not talking about the ID camps, but the >clinics a College Coach will conduct for a few hours on a Saturday. In the back of my mind >I think they are nothing but a way for the coach and assistant coach(s) to make a few >bucks. On the other hand a clinic may be a way for a prospective student to judge the >school and the program and to see if the coach is someone the player would be >comfortable with.

If your son is interested in the schools, they absolutely make sense. He will get a chance to see the coaches (and, often, players on the team) in their natural habitat.

>I think relying on a coach coming to watch him play at some Tournament is not likely and >this may be a way for him to be noticed that would probably not happen under normal >circumstances.

That is exactly why the small clinics make so much sense.

>Does showing up at these clinics help a kid get recruited especially if the kid shows an >interest in the school or are they nothing more than a money grab?

Just coming to the clinic shows the coach that your son is interested and gives him a leg up on those who don't attend.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X