Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That's what I thought. Although PDA has a DAP program so this isn't the highest level for them
    Yes it will be their B program; but PDA is highly respected so they're it does lend some credibility as they launch this thing.

Comment

Yes it will be their B program; but PDA is highly respected so they're it does lend some credibility as they launch this thing.
      Several B teams in this ECNL for Boys league.

Comment

Several B teams in this ECNL for Boys league.
        But B teams hold appeal to many players - in this case you probably get more PT and get to play HS sports. The caveat being it will mostly appeal to non mls players. Most players on mls teams will stay put.

Comment

I am now convinced boys ECNL will fail. First East Meadow and Paul Riley do NOT have strong teams. If they are indicative of the teams that will play, college coaches will NOT be attending many games.

What I saw recently is clubs that signed up for this are losing players because parents figure at that commitment level, why not just play USSDA? It's a reasonable question to ask.

Once dominant clubs from MD and PA are struggling in Region 1 sometimes in the second tier. How did this happen? What does it say that top teams there will continue to play in US Youth leagues and EDP?

Honestly it won't take long for college coaches to realize boys ECNL is an inferior pay to play league and is not keeping with the tradition established on the girls side. I honestly think ECNL in general will go the way of Super Y, a great idea at the time it was created, but no longer useful.

To me it's clear who the winner is locally. EDP. Sometimes 14-15 divisions in some age groups. They have critical mass needed to give teams competitive games with reasonable travel.

Region 1 may have saved itself with its showcase format mirroring National League. Basically 2 weekends and you're done. Their hold on strong clubs from the VA/MD/DE/PA soccer corridor will keep them relevant.

So what does the community think? Is this overkill in light of the current landscape? Or am I missing something and this is the next chapter?

Comment

I am now convinced boys ECNL will fail. First East Meadow and Paul Riley do NOT have strong teams. If they are indicative of the teams that will play, college coaches will NOT be attending many games.

What I saw recently is clubs that signed up for this are losing players because parents figure at that commitment level, why not just play USSDA? It's a reasonable question to ask.

Once dominant clubs from MD and PA are struggling in Region 1 sometimes in the second tier. How did this happen? What does it say that top teams there will continue to play in US Youth leagues and EDP?

Honestly it won't take long for college coaches to realize boys ECNL is an inferior pay to play league and is not keeping with the tradition established on the girls side. I honestly think ECNL in general will go the way of Super Y, a great idea at the time it was created, but no longer useful.

To me it's clear who the winner is locally. EDP. Sometimes 14-15 divisions in some age groups. They have critical mass needed to give teams competitive games with reasonable travel.

Region 1 may have saved itself with its showcase format mirroring National League. Basically 2 weekends and you're done. Their hold on strong clubs from the VA/MD/DE/PA soccer corridor will keep them relevant.

So what does the community think? Is this overkill in light of the current landscape? Or am I missing something and this is the next chapter?

I agree around here EDP will continue to be a strong league but in other parts of the country NPL competition is pretty weak so ECNL boys will settle in nicely. But I'll tell you a big reason boys ECNL will be just fine - high school sports. There's plenty of DA players, especially at pay-to-play clubs who are realizing BDA isn't all it's cracked up to be and isn't worth giving up HS sports for (soccer and/or other). They just didn't have a lot of options before. Many of the clubs that are joining already have pretty competitive teams that travel a decent amount now anyway. So between those teams and some players moving out of BDA the league will be fine - not great, but fine. Just like on the girls side the battle between DA and ECNL will just water down the talent more than it already is. Players win by having more choices but soccer wont' improve.

Comment

In NY, NJ, MA and CT, EDP is a shadow of what it once was. The NYCSL group of leagues is thriving. I guess every region has its own dynamics.

Comment

In NY, NJ, MA and CT, EDP is a shadow of what it once was. The NYCSL group of leagues is thriving. I guess every region has its own dynamics.
                EDP isn't thriving?

Comment

EDP top brackets are still very good; lower brackets are practically travel.

Comment

EDP top brackets are still very good; lower brackets are practically travel.
                    First and second division EDP are as good if not better than NYCSL NPL in my opinion. The top three teams in NYCSL NPL are always strong but the bottom three are bad due to the rule that all clubs must field all age groups

Comment

First and second division EDP are as good if not better than NYCSL NPL in my opinion. The top three teams in NYCSL NPL are always strong but the bottom three are bad due to the rule that all clubs must field all age groups
                      A lot of competing leagues water a lot down. DA, ECNL, NPL, EDP, LIJSL, etc.

Comment

Sorry but I have teams in EDP D1 and this is insane. We play the "top" NPL teams all the time in multiple age groups and there is no way they would be anything more than mid table in EDP D1 or sometimes D2.

Comment

Sorry but I have teams in EDP D1 and this is insane. We play the "top" NPL teams all the time in multiple age groups and there is no way they would be anything more than mid table in EDP D1 or sometimes D2.
                          Agree D1 and part of D2 are better than NYSC NPL

Comment

Here's some info on regional leagues

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs...theast-region/

Comment

Interesting update to Boys ECNL

http://www.soccerwire.com/notes/west...ter-boys-ecnl/

Comment

They never had boys DA status. It's just everyone has Academy in the clubs names now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X