Talking-Soccer.com  
Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm confused...A club pays to rent fields and works around the schedule of the town in which those fields are based, and that's illegal? I'm not very well versed in law, how is a civil issue illegal?
Innocent bystander here.

I would imagine that the town club has the field permits. One question would be if the town club has the authority to sublet that permit. This could be an instance where a civil suit could occur by the town recouping any monies the club collected by sub leasing.

Other issues ccould be be town charter and by-laws which may give first consideration to community based organizations.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Innocent bystander here.

I would imagine that the town club has the field permits. One question would be if the town club has the authority to sublet that permit. This could be an instance where a civil suit could occur by the town recouping any monies the club collected by sub leasing.

Other issues ccould be be town charter and by-laws which may give first consideration to community based organizations.
different towns handle it differently but yes many have to give preference to town organizations first, then whatever times are left can be rented to outsiders. It's usually handled by the town. I've never heard of a town program subletting but I suppose it's possible; weird, but possible.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Innocent bystander here.

Hmm, OK, thanks for the response. I was legitimately asking because my kid plays for Susa, played for ISA before and has always played at Baymen. I know we had trouble rescheduling a game once and the coach explained it was because Bayport had the fields and they got first priority. No biggie, I was just trying to figure out how it was illegal and how it would affect my kid since it hasn't thus far. I thought something had changed, but I guess it was just an attempt at deflection.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Hmm, OK, thanks for the response. I was legitimately asking because my kid plays for Susa, played for ISA before and has always played at Baymen. I know we had trouble rescheduling a game once and the coach explained it was because Bayport had the fields and they got first priority. No biggie, I was just trying to figure out how it was illegal and how it would affect my kid since it hasn't thus far. I thought something had changed, but I guess it was just an attempt at deflection.
The baymen are not following the terms of their lease on the Cherry Ave fields, but unless the local bureaucrats get involved, nothing is going to change.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
The baymen are not following the terms of their lease on the Cherry Ave fields, but unless the local bureaucrats get involved, nothing is going to change.
So how does it work? The town of Islip owns the fields and they supply the permits to clubs? And they Baymen sub-lease it to Susa? Honestly, just curious, interested in how it all works...
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Many towns give permits to town/village parks as well as schools on the restriction that at least 50% of the players on any team utilizing the fields be from the tax district that maintains the fields. The 50% is just an example number, and a number I know to be true for a couple village maintained parks on the south shore of Nassau.

Clubs get the permits with that clause in their "contract". Technically if they field teams with too few players from the area, they are in breach of contract, which would be civil law. Albeit, the town needs to prove financial loss to recover anything other than cancelling the "contract".

Do you see a town investigating the number of non-resident players and possibly forfeiting future fees? Don't ask, don't tell is pretty much the standard used. Unless, a local club wants the fields and decides to complain the town really doesn't care, unless the check doesn't clear.