Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryout indecision

What would you do in this scenario? We have a younger female player who plans to try out for a larger NEP club. My child attended a practice for the club and likes the coach a lot. This team is a hike but worth it for the training.

My child's friend is going to a satellite of the above club closer to home. I didn't get the same feel for the coach at the satellite but have heard good things and it is a much easier drive. The downside is the team was not as competitive last year but supposedly they have revamped and have many player commits already this year.

My daughter also wants to try out for her current club because who knows what will happen with the other clubs.

We can't attend 3 club tryouts the same night. We need to decide whether to go to the "reach" club where she loves the training and coach, the satellite club which seems like a very risky situation based on history, or the current club which is the safe bet but doesn't necessarily push my child.

If it matters, my child is the top player on her team according to her coach. Her club has a lot of success in a higher maple league.

It's time to leave sss

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What would you do in this scenario? We have a younger female player who plans to try out for a larger NEP club. My child attended a practice for the club and likes the coach a lot. This team is a hike but worth it for the training.

My child's friend is going to a satellite of the above club closer to home. I didn't get the same feel for the coach at the satellite but have heard good things and it is a much easier drive. The downside is the team was not as competitive last year but supposedly they have revamped and have many player commits already this year.

My daughter also wants to try out for her current club because who knows what will happen with the other clubs.

We can't attend 3 club tryouts the same night. We need to decide whether to go to the "reach" club where she loves the training and coach, the satellite club which seems like a very risky situation based on history, or the current club which is the safe bet but doesn't necessarily push my child.

If it matters, my child is the top player on her team according to her coach. Her club has a lot of success in a higher maple league.
      If she is the best player on her current club, she shouldn't have to go to that tryout. Go to the tryout for the stretch club. They will be able to evaluate her for that team, and also be able to provide feedback for the satellite club, if the stretch club doesn't work out for any reason.

Comment

Don't try out for the satellite. Regardless of the friend situation. If you are going for the training, go for the training. Satellites feed the top teams at a central location, which sounds like you already attended. So if your daughter has indeed been evaluated at the central location at the top team's practice, ask the coach for feedback on what he thinks her chances are for making his team. If he gives you the run around, then assume its at best a 50/50 shot, probably less. If he is willing to commit, attend his tryout.

Because your daughter is young, she needs the training more than she needs to be #1 anything. You never want your kid to be #1 at an early age because the majority of time the coach has to coach to the level of the team---not to the #1 player. If the new team has players that are more at or above your daughter's current skill level, and the coaching is good, you've got your answer---assuming she makes it.

Keep in mind though it's hard for a kid to go from being top dog to being one of the pack. She needs to be okay with that and so do you.

Comment

Since your daughter is younger go with the closer drive and with her friend. If the club is a satellite there will still be many opportunities for her down the road. And will get her out of the club that is not pushing her.

Comment

Don't try out for the satellite. Regardless of the friend situation. If you are going for the training, go for the training. Satellites feed the top teams at a central location, which sounds like you already attended. So if your daughter has indeed been evaluated at the central location at the top team's practice, ask the coach for feedback on what he thinks her chances are for making his team. If he gives you the run around, then assume its at best a 50/50 shot, probably less. If he is willing to commit, attend his tryout.

Because your daughter is young, she needs the training more than she needs to be #1 anything. You never want your kid to be #1 at an early age because the majority of time the coach has to coach to the level of the team---not to the #1 player. If the new team has players that are more at or above your daughter's current skill level, and the coaching is good, you've got your answer---assuming she makes it.

Keep in mind though it's hard for a kid to go from being top dog to being one of the pack. She needs to be okay with that and so do you.
            This seems like very good advice. My daughter likes the coach and training and has decided this is what she wants to try. We did get feedback but I'm not sure how to take it. He told us he strongly encouraged us to attend try outs and told us what he really likes about her, but that was after just one practice. Our current coach has drilled it into my head that bigger clubs will sell you the moon and then place your kid on the c team. My daughter is a good player but every club has a top player. If they all tried out for one club some would still need to be cut.

Anyway, thanks again!

Comment

This seems like very good advice. My daughter likes the coach and training and has decided this is what she wants to try. We did get feedback but I'm not sure how to take it. He told us he strongly encouraged us to attend try outs and told us what he really likes about her, but that was after just one practice. Our current coach has drilled it into my head that bigger clubs will sell you the moon and then place your kid on the c team. My daughter is a good player but every club has a top player. If they all tried out for one club some would still need to be cut.

Anyway, thanks again!

Good luck.

Comment

Good luck.
                Stay away from that mess of a club breakers. We're leaving that hell hole.

Comment

What would you do in this scenario? We have a younger female player...

My daughter also wants to try out for...
                  What's the objective (yours and your kid's)? Why do you care how competitive the team is?

Find a coach that develops players in terms of their ability and desire to play the game.

Parents should be having their kid tryout for a club now, not in June.

Comment

We care about how competitive because she is looking for faster decision making and a faster paced game. It seems like you must belong to a highly competitive team to get that style of play. She is a quick decision maker on her team but compared to elite probably a step behind. She would like to see if she can pick up her pace with higher competition and training.

Comment

We care about how competitive because she is looking for faster decision making and a faster paced game. It seems like you must belong to a highly competitive team to get that style of play. She is a quick decision maker on her team but compared to elite probably a step behind. She would like to see if she can pick up her pace with higher competition and training.
                      Reasonable enough. I think the difference you're talking about it in terms of pace and quality is going to be achieved ultimately as a function of the coach. In a given season the team could be placed too high, too low, a wide range of teams, etc., and especially at younger ages, you could have a team that is destroying competition, but from a player development standpoint, your kid is playing with one foot, one position, and direct. With all the experience I've had with my own kids and friends' kids, player improvement didn't seem to correlate with the competitiveness of the team nearly as much as when I had a coach that was challenging, energetic, and fun and the players around my kid were within a reasonable range of ability. When I had a coach that had too much irons in the fire, inconsistent with what he demanded of players, didn't keep it fun, managed time poorly and when the margin between the top and bottom players was stark, it was lost development time at best.

Long story short, it's ALL about the coach, a bit about the teammates, everything else is incidental and personal preference (one of my kids hated long car rides, another wanted to play any place any time).

Good luck.

Comment

I seen the term "younger player" but, unless I've missed it, what age is the "younger player"?

Comment

I seen the term "younger player" but, unless I've missed it, what age is the "younger player"?
                          I took it to mean U12 or younger.

Comment

U12 next year. Thanks to all for the advice. This has been one of the more reasonable threads I have seen on this site.

Comment

Because your daughter is young, she needs the training more than she needs to be #1 anything. You never want your kid to be #1 at an early age because the majority of time the coach has to coach to the level of the team---not to the #1 player
                              Thanks for that bit of wisdom. Unless your at the highest level, being the best player on the team means not only will you not be pushed, but often you'll be used to help train the others, which is a waste of your time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X