Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Like it was stated earlier in this thread, every European league have the cash clubs (maybe 3 or 4) and the rest are full of average players who are at par with MLS player skills. Cristiano Ronaldo has absolutely no success with his National team, in fact, he is virtually invisible.
    He plays a completely different position on his NT compared to Madrid.
    On Madrid he's more of a primary goal scorer who has the green light to push forward. On Portgual he's playing more of an inverted winger role and has to track back a lot more because his wing backs don't play in synch with the CBs and wingers. Watch some international football, it's a lot more complicated than just, "oh he scores a lot of goals for his country but he scores nothing for his club so he much suck" or "he scores so much for his club side but barely any for his country so he must suck."

Also I suggest you look up his goal records for Portgual. It's a lot better than most intentional players. For being primarily an inverted winger, he assists and scores a lot more than your average winger internationally.

Comment

"Ronaldo made his international debut for Portugal in August 2003, at the age of 18. He has since been capped over 100 times and has participated in 6 major tournaments: three UEFA European Championships (2004, 2008 and 2012) and three FIFA World Cups (2006, 2010 and 2014). Ronaldo is the first Portuguese player to reach 50 international goals, making him Portugal's top goalscorer of all time as well as the country's top scorer in the European Championship with 6 goals. He scored his first international goal in the opening game of Euro 2004 against Greece, and helped Portugal reach the final. He took over captaincy in July 2008, and he led Portugal to the semi-finals at Euro 2012, finishing the competition as joint-top scorer in the process. In November 2014, Ronaldo became the all-time top scorer in the UEFA European Championship (including qualifying) with 23 goals."

Goal ratio comparison to Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey:

Landon Donovan:
      57 International goals in 157 International appearances

Clint Dempsey:
      40 International goals in 112 International appearances
      *Plays against considerably weaker teams in the CONCACAF

Cristiano Ronaldo:

52 International Goals in 119 International appearances
      *Plays against Germany, Italy, Spain, England, France, Netherlands much more frequently than either Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan

Comment

He plays a completely different position on his NT compared to Madrid.
        On Madrid he's more of a primary goal scorer who has the green light to push forward. On Portgual he's playing more of an inverted winger role and has to track back a lot more because his wing backs don't play in synch with the CBs and wingers. Watch some international football, it's a lot more complicated than just, "oh he scores a lot of goals for his country but he scores nothing for his club so he much suck" or "he scores so much for his club side but barely any for his country so he must suck."

Also I suggest you look up his goal records for Portgual. It's a lot better than most intentional players. For being primarily an inverted winger, he assists and scores a lot more than your average winger internationally.
        If you have to make excuses for him not playing his natural position with Portugal, then he's not the legend you think he is. Good players are good players period. You are just making excuses. In la Liga, 3/4 of the season he's playing against crappy players on a purchased good team in Real. No different than Barcelona, Juve, Bayern,Benfica etc..etc..

Comment

If you have to make excuses for him not playing his natural position with Portugal, then he's not the legend you think he is. Good players are good players period. You are just making excuses. In la Liga, 3/4 of the season he's playing against crappy players on a purchased good team in Real. No different than Barcelona, Juve, Bayern,Benfica etc..etc..
          He's the record goal scorer for Portugal...

Comment

He's the record goal scorer for Portugal...
            Not impressive. sorry

Comment

Not impressive. sorry
              What's impressive to you then?

Comment

Try to keep up with the debate. European players are not what you think they are. Italian kids do not play soccer anymore, neither do French or Spanish kids. Top 3 teams in every European league buy foreign players to stay relevant and the rest of the pack ( and there are thousands of players) pretty much suck. Ronaldo and Messi and Ibra etc... play against crap.
                I hope that the Cristiano Ronaldo loving individual comes out of the woodwork here. Absolutely invisible against world class defenders. Against low level Spanish clubs, different story. I rest my case.

Comment

I hope that the Cristiano Ronaldo loving individual comes out of the woodwork here. Absolutely invisible against world class defenders. Against low level Spanish clubs, different story. I rest my case.
                  You know nothing about football mate if you don't recognize how great of a player C.Ronaldo is. I'm not even a Ronaldo fan but you're just ignorant if you don't put him up with some of the greats.

Giggs is probably one of the greatest pure wingers in the history of the game and he says Ronaldo is going to end up as one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game.

Comment

You know nothing about football mate if you don't recognize how great of a player C.Ronaldo is. I'm not even a Ronaldo fan but you're just ignorant if you don't put him up with some of the greats.

Giggs is probably one of the greatest pure wingers in the history of the game and he says Ronaldo is going to end up as one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game.
                    If Ryan Giggs said that about Ronaldo than it must be true,please!! He played like a donkey in the two legs against Juve. Against good opponents, he sucks. With Portugal, he sucks. Great players play great consistently.

Comment

If Ryan Giggs said that about Ronaldo than it must be true,please!! He played like a donkey in the two legs against Juve. Against good opponents, he sucks. With Portugal, he sucks. Great players play great consistently.
                      Then name some players you think are better than Ronaldo in the modern era with the exception of Messi.

I'd love to hear this.

Comment

Then name some players you think are better than Ronaldo in the modern era with the exception of Messi.

I'd love to hear this.
                        My point is the criteria in which you base Ronaldo's performance is flawed. He doesn't contribute against top level competition. It's a known fact. I know everyone likes to name the "top" player in their respective era, like in all sports,but it's not fair to do that. But if one player comes to mind, it's Diego Maradona. He was outstanding for his Napoli club and against International competition as well. Consistently, all the time, every time, always!!!

Comment

My point is the criteria in which you base Ronaldo's performance is flawed. He doesn't contribute against top level competition. It's a known fact. I know everyone likes to name the "top" player in their respective era, like in all sports,but it's not fair to do that. But if one player comes to mind, it's Diego Maradona. He was outstanding for his Napoli club and against International competition as well. Consistently, all the time, every time, always!!!
                          Your lack of football knowledge is making me cringe.

You think Thierry Henry was a legend? C.Ronaldo shatters all his records by a country mile.

Comment

Your lack of football knowledge is making me cringe.

You think Thierry Henry was a legend? C.Ronaldo shatters all his records by a country mile.
                            Once again with the records. Come out of the closet and admit you crush on Ronaldo to your family. Whatever "mate", he's a legend. Your soccer knowledge aligns itself with everyone else's. I'm finished with a very limited soccer fan like yourself. Keep posting, I'm done "mate". Thierry Henri? Was he mentioned here? Bye.

Comment

Once again with the records. Come out of the closet and admit you crush on Ronaldo to your family. Whatever "mate", he's a legend. Your soccer knowledge aligns itself with everyone else's. I'm finished with a very limited soccer fan like yourself. Keep posting, I'm done "mate". Thierry Henri? Was he mentioned here? Bye.
                              Who do you think are the top footballers in this era then? Surely if Ronaldo isn't in your top 3, I don't know kind of sport you've been watching the past 10 years.

Comment

You have no idea what you're talking about man.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X