Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does playing Division 1 soccer limit you to certain majors in college?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    On the original topic about majors, I saw this quote yesterday in an article about the Varsity Blues scandal. Is from the Cal Poly tennis coach about recruits and majors (Wasn't the main focus of the story, just noticed it in passing. The whole article was depressing. Link below.)

"Carless also acknowledged that "hands-on" majors like chemistry pose a scheduling challenge. "If you're traveling as an athlete and you have a major that requires a lot of labs, you have to be there in person," he said. "Other majors have online work or video conferencing. Many of our athletes at Cal Poly tend to be business majors because of the flexibility.""

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...onaires-family
    I saw it too. Agreed, depressing. It also noted the schools that had fluff/fill in courses for athletes (UNC was specifically noted...and the gavel on this hasn't come down from NCAA...so unresolved). As a state school, that receives taxpayer dollars, I'm surprised this hasn't been investigated by the Dept of Education as well.

Comment

You have no idea about the basis of the accommodation. It isn't cheating. The athletic department has kids that are paid by them that are not athletes and attend classes as a observer, take copious notes , gather hand outs and share them with kids that are athletes that can't make the classes because they are away or out due to injury.

How is that cheating? No one is saying someone is taking their test or doing their work.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/0...dent-athletes/

"One of the approved proposals is to allow student-athletes to receive room and board expenses to participate in summer athletic activities while not enrolled in summer school."
      What you are talking about is quite different from saying a coach told their kid that they had someone writing papers for them like the other poster originally insinuated. What you are talking about is a normal accommodation that reflects the fact that athletes travel with their teams.

Comment

What you are talking about is quite different from saying a coach told their kid that they had someone writing papers for them like the other poster originally insinuated. What you are talking about is a normal accommodation that reflects the fact that athletes travel with their teams.
        This is the Post...
        "Please. My colleague's kid was told about this accommodation too when she was recruited by P5 schools and she is far from special needs (actually has a genius level iq). She is in the sciences majors so it was very inviting. It was an accommodation that is offered to all the P5 athletes if they choose to partake of it."

I posted it. And no where in it does it insinuate that anyone would write anyone's papers or do anyone's actual work.

A paid non-athlete taking notes attending classes and getting hand outs for the athletes. And news flash, not every school provides this for what you (and I) considered would be a normal accommodation as well.

Comment

Right, the schools whose whole identities are wrapped around great academics are terrible at providing academics and supporting their students. Makes so much sense. All of these schools have terrific supports, but if you want tutors who will write your papers for you while you're traveling with the team go for it.
          You are confusing football with footie ball. They only write the papers for the football (and probably b-ball teams). Soccer has to do their own work. They do have aids that take notes in classes, get the hand outs, etc. when away. That is huge btw if you have ever missed a lecture, etc.
          Actually it would happen if the student were actually that low a quality that they needed it. What really happens that is seldom brought out is those kids are generally special needs kids that need accommodations and you might start by asking why they are even admitted to college but that is a whole different discussion. Generally though you are talking about public universities that have different admissions mandates to accommodate disadvantaged populations. That is where a lot of those situations pop up and the assistance is not going to be confined to just the high revenue athletes or even just the athletes.
          Please. My colleague's kid was told about this accommodation too when she was recruited by P5 schools and she is far from special needs (actually has a genius level iq). She is in the sciences majors so it was very inviting. It was an accommodation that is offered to all the P5 athletes if they choose to partake of it.
          This was the specific thread. Sorry when you used the term accommodation I thought you were referencing having papers written. Hard to track who is writing what on this forum.

Comment

This was the specific thread. Sorry when you used the term accommodation I thought you were referencing having papers written. Hard to track who is writing what on this forum.
            Got it.
            I think the reference to football and basketball having paper written for them was a joke...at least it is in most schools. Not sure if it still happens at The "U". My friend went there for football and I don't think he wrote any papers. Back in the day...

Comment

Friend's son on a college hockey team was way smarter than the rest of his teammates. He made a tidy sum writing papers for them. Needless to say the parents weren't super happy with that when they found out. Supposedly it was a rampant thing at that school with athletes. I'm sure it isn't at others. But is also happens with non athletes too. You can also buy a paper or a writer on line easily.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X