Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The Buffalo Bills of girls soccer. Nice job Marv Levy you outsmarted everyone again. Friggin dope
    Went back and checked. Since the start of current division system Londonderry has been to final 4 times. Lost 4 times. Given up 9 goals and scored none. Bills and Levy is an accurate comparison. I would say this year was the year to break the string though. They did have most pure talent on paper.

Comment

Went back and checked. Since the start of current division system Londonderry has been to final 4 times. Lost 4 times. Given up 9 goals and scored none. Bills and Levy is an accurate comparison. I would say this year was the year to break the string though. They did have most pure talent on paper.
      They lost to Exeter 2 times... So it seems to me that Exeter may have been a stronger team (go figure...). On paper, I'm a 22 year old male model... in case you weren't aware.

Exeter had one standout player who beat the defense on more than one occasion in the final. That's not to say that the rest of their team wasn't good or didn't contribute or she was their only player... that's not what I am saying. I'm simply pointing out that it was an evenly matched game other than that one player who was a difference maker that game and of course that's what it's all about... so, not hating on anyone.

Comment

They lost to Exeter 2 times... So it seems to me that Exeter may have been a stronger team (go figure...). On paper, I'm a 22 year old male model... in case you weren't aware.

Exeter had one standout player who beat the defense on more than one occasion in the final. That's not to say that the rest of their team wasn't good or didn't contribute or she was their only player... that's not what I am saying. I'm simply pointing out that it was an evenly matched game other than that one player who was a difference maker that game and of course that's what it's all about... so, not hating on anyone.
        Don't disagree, but Londonderry has like 3 difference makers so one of them should've been able to step up, no? (I didn't see the game)

Comment

Don't disagree, but Londonderry has like 3 difference makers so one of them should've been able to step up, no? (I didn't see the game)
          Teams win state titles. Not individuals no matter the skill level.

Comment

Don't disagree...but the post two above yours indicated there was one player from Exeter who was the difference maker which seems to go against your theory

Comment

Teams don't win at the high school level. For the most part high school teams are interchangeable except for 2 or three players. If those players are not playing well or you take those players out of a line up and the game changes immediately.

...feel free to think for yourself rather than speaking in cliches.

Comment

Teams don't win at the high school level. For the most part high school teams are interchangeable except for 2 or three players. If those players are not playing well or you take those players out of a line up and the game changes immediately.

...feel free to think for yourself rather than speaking in cliches.
                But I thought it was all about the coaches. Players are irrelevant. It's all about the coaching at the HS level. They are the ones that create these teams, the players, their program. Right? HS coaches are the true difference makers. Not interchangeable players. We are going to have to start a go fund me page for HS coaches and refs if the community does not appreciate then more.

Comment

But I thought it was all about the coaches. Players are irrelevant. It's all about the coaching at the HS level. They are the ones that create these teams, the players, their program. Right? HS coaches are the true difference makers. Not interchangeable players. We are going to have to start a go fund me page for HS coaches and refs if the community does not appreciate then more.
                  Fwiw, sounds like you are replying based on an earlier feud with another poster. My comment that you replied to was my first in this discussion.

Comment

Fwiw, sounds like you are replying based on an earlier feud with another poster. My comment that you replied to was my first in this discussion.
                    It appears they may have been sarcastically agreeing with you by dragging in some previous comments about the impact of high school coaching. And apparently officiating.

Comment

Boys D1 - do not underestimate Bedford, they will be in the top 4 come playoff time. Last years Bedford team was a team of the decade 76 GF / 7 GA (Central 3 Hanover 2) in 19 games. This year they are not nearly as deep but their starting 11 are VERY solid, including two GPS NPL stars in the front - Zack Verow and Vitor Rodrigues. Like Central, Bedford will score a lot of goals this year but their defense will need to improve throughout the season around a very good center back Drew Middleton - if they want to compete in November.

One weakness Bedford shares with Central and Hanover - playing on grass is a challenge, they never train on it, they are used to lightning fast turf. Bedford does not have size this year (like last), they do have speed and quickness that is well suited for turf, on grass that speed and quickness is muted significantly.

Much more parity in boys D1 this year vs last - in my view, Central, Bedford and Hanover are still the top three teams (Hanover clearly the deepest bench of the 3). Pinkerton and South will be very tough, North is no pushover, Concord is always a quality team, I believe Windham is a sleeper. Parity - it will be fun to watch!!

You nailed it with your Pinkerton prediction.

Comment

When it comes to success at the high school level it is a combination of multiple factors but coaching seems to make the most impact.
                        School size clearly has almost no bearing - otherwise Pinkerton should win every sport, every year - with a size of 2 to 3 times that of most of it's opposition. School administration support matters too.
                        Consistent, quality coaching can clearly keep a program successful even as different players pass through their programs. Exeter girls soccer is a great example: 7 titles over 9 years from 2006 to 2014 and then again this year. Hanover boys soccer won 6 titles from 2005 to 2010 in Div 2 and then remarkably won it again this year in Div 1 as the smallest school in Div 1, more than 1/5 the size of Pinkerton. Bow girls soccer was in the Div 3 title game every year from 2010 to 2015 (winning 4) - and then twice again in Div 2 (winning 1). In Div 4, Sunapee has been in 6 title games over 10 years (winning 5). Winnacunnet Girls basketball won 5 Div 1 state titles in a row from 2007 - 2011 - the coach retired and they dropped off substantially.
                        There are examples of player impact too: Central wins 2 years in a row, graduates an all-american striker and loses this year in the 1/4 finals. Epping girls soccer won the D4 title last year and this year didn't even make it into the post-season - same coach both years.

Comment

When it comes to success at the high school level it is a combination of multiple factors but coaching seems to make the most impact.
                          School size clearly has almost no bearing - otherwise Pinkerton should win every sport, every year - with a size of 2 to 3 times that of most of it's opposition. School administration support matters too.
                          Consistent, quality coaching can clearly keep a program successful even as different players pass through their programs. Exeter girls soccer is a great example: 7 titles over 9 years from 2006 to 2014 and then again this year. Hanover boys soccer won 6 titles from 2005 to 2010 in Div 2 and then remarkably won it again this year in Div 1 as the smallest school in Div 1, more than 1/5 the size of Pinkerton. Bow girls soccer was in the Div 3 title game every year from 2010 to 2015 (winning 4) - and then twice again in Div 2 (winning 1). In Div 4, Sunapee has been in 6 title games over 10 years (winning 5). Winnacunnet Girls basketball won 5 Div 1 state titles in a row from 2007 - 2011 - the coach retired and they dropped off substantially.
                          There are examples of player impact too: Central wins 2 years in a row, graduates an all-american striker and loses this year in the 1/4 finals. Epping girls soccer won the D4 title last year and this year didn't even make it into the post-season - same coach both years.
                          So, lots of factors then? Thank you for that hard-hitting analysis. Hope that research didn't take you too long.

Comment

What a truly useless post.
                            The previous poster actually did do what appears to be quite a bit of research in response to earlier questions about how much impact a coach has.
                            Although I'd be interested in any more examples of programs where players, and not coaches, truly made a difference in their team's successes.

Comment

The previous poster actually did do what appears to be quite a bit of research in response to earlier questions about how much impact a coach has.
                              Although I'd be interested in any more examples of programs where players, and not coaches, truly made a difference in their team's successes.
                              Well, it was chalked up to the coach having the greatest impact...then the whole argument was shot that it was the player.

Tell me this....the most successful girls soccer program in NH History is likely Manchester West in the 80's and 90's. One coach for most of it, who nobody in their right mind would tell you was anywhere near good. So, it wasn't the coach, the players rolled over every 4 years. What was it? The school size and where they players came from.

Comment

You are more likely to see that in small schools where a single, great player can dominate a game. Look through the history of NHIAA soccer and you can see players in Hillsborough, Calvary Christian, Woodsville, Pittsfield putting up obnoxiously large numbers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X