Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISL players who managed to keep playing club?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISL players who managed to keep playing club?

Anyone have a player at an ISL school who manages to keep playing club soccer all the way through school despite the 3 sport demand and the academic intensity? I’d love to hear stories about how this worked for your family or if you ultimately gave one (either school or club) up.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anyone have a player at an ISL school who manages to keep playing club soccer all the way through school despite the 3 sport demand and the academic intensity? I’d love to hear stories about how this worked for your family or if you ultimately gave one (either school or club) up.
    And by "academic intensity" you really mean hefty donation, right?

Comment

And by "academic intensity" you really mean hefty donation, right?
      no idea what you mean.

by academic intensity I mean stretching oneself to get better at something, not just taking lower level, easy classes. I mean some level of academic challenge.

Comment

ISL kids have plenty of time to get work done and have lots of support. If you're that worried about academics then you know what should get dropped.

Comment

Not an answer for you, but prep schools have Black Rock, a club that fits with their schedule, helps with transportation etc. Lots of prep school kids combine 3 school sports with club soccer this way.

Comment

several ISL schools waive the requirement if you meet certain criteria- have your kid ask around. Playing club soccer qualifies at most schools (waives needing to pay a sport that specific season).

Comment

several ISL schools waive the requirement if you meet certain criteria- have your kid ask around. Playing club soccer qualifies at most schools (waives needing to pay a sport that specific season).
              This is super easy to do. Lots of kids are in Ballet, or train for individual sports (e.g. Tennis). Specify what (s)he is going to play and school will count that toward requirement

Comment

The best kids on ISL teams have to play school soccer because they’re being compensated for it.

Comment

Yes, you don't need to play a varsity sport all 3 seasons. There isn't enough positions for all the students.

Comment

Ya'll must be talking about different ISL schools than the ones I looked into. The ones we toured had NO exemption until junior/senior year. That is the reason we choose not to apply. We had a really good public highschool (yes the soccer is terrible) and it didn't seem worth the money + driving + hassle with sports + dubiously better education.

Comment

Ya'll must be talking about different ISL schools than the ones I looked into. The ones we toured had NO exemption until junior/senior year. That is the reason we choose not to apply. We had a really good public highschool (yes the soccer is terrible) and it didn't seem worth the money + driving + hassle with sports + dubiously better education.
                      Sounds like you made a wise choice. Waivers is definitely not a consistent thing so anyone looking into better ask very specific questions.

Comment

Don't know why you're assuming ISL schools have three-sport requirements. My son's school had a two-sport requirement for freshmen and sophomores, and no specific sports requirement at all for juniors or seniors. Things got a little bit congested in the winter the first two years, but other than that, no problem.

Comment

The best kids on ISL teams have to play school soccer because they’re being compensated for it.
                          Well, that sounds like an "athletic scholarship," and we all know that NEPSAC prohibits that. However, the term "merit based aid" has a certain aesthetic ring to it, which seems as vague as it is intriguing.

Comment

Why not have him start as a junior then ?

Comment

Why not have him start as a junior then ?
                              Not the poster but it isn't so easy to 1) get into a top school later on (you may be behind academically) 2) walk away from your current HS and start all over again. Realistically you're also talking about tuition for two years that equals that at many colleges. If he's at a good public HS then excel there, maybe supplement with some college courses, do all the EC's etc and all will be well.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X