Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are going to join one, most likely. Based on facility and location, not on the name. Asked both about joining and they both stated 1st team had openings and provided info as to when and where to be assessed. When the date/time for one was not convenient they asked me to pick a date/time and a trainer/coach would be available to asses. I'm sure the other club would have been accommodating as well. They didn't seem begging for tryouts they seemed interested and accommodating.

We are an '02 and come from an NPL team in Arizona, before that a USSDA in SoCal. No offense to Long Island where I grew up, but really, the fields and facilities sucks big time compared to the rest of the country.
    LOL, any chance you came from Surf San Diego?

Comment

I am also another parent that is choosing Valencia. I attended both Barça and Valencia tryouts and was more impressed with the communication and organization of Valencia. Yeah Barça is a bigger name but what does that really mean 4000 miles away in Long Island.

Valencia has had Spanish coaches from the parent club for both tryouts and for the summer camp my son attended. During the summer camp, I was impressed with how they kept the kids focused and limited the amount of nonsense to create a competitive learning environment.

Lastly, I happen to be partial to natural grass, If my understanding is correct Barça is looking to play on synthetic surfaces, LIU Post has extremely nice fields that are properly maintained.

Comment

we had to offers - left valencia for Barca.

Comment

we had to offers - left valencia for Barca.
          (*two).......

Comment

Where on Li are you from?
            Laurel Hollow. Kinda of half way between the two, but leaning towards Valencia, just a little easier to get there and I know when their training sessions are.

And to answer the other question, not from Surf SD. They are easily the place you want to play for if you live there and can make it, even for their non-DA teams. I didn't even look at Surf NY as there are no Boys Long Island teams.

Comment

I am also another parent that is choosing Valencia. I attended both Barça and Valencia tryouts and was more impressed with the communication and organization of Valencia. Yeah Barça is a bigger name but what does that really mean 4000 miles away in Long Island.

Valencia has had Spanish coaches from the parent club for both tryouts and for the summer camp my son attended. During the summer camp, I was impressed with how they kept the kids focused and limited the amount of nonsense to create a competitive learning environment.

Lastly, I happen to be partial to natural grass, If my understanding is correct Barça is looking to play on synthetic surfaces, LIU Post has extremely nice fields that are properly maintained.
              FYI- Just so you have all the info- Barcelona will have Grass fields and turf.

Comment

FYI- Just so you have all the info- Barcelona will have Grass fields and turf.
                I took that into consideration. Valencia's facilities are ready to go next month, I wasn't able to confirm the same for Barcelona.

Comment

Barca had no field right now and the season starts in a month

Comment

Barca had no field right now and the season starts in a month
                    Better than Susa illegally using town fields for US Club games they have no right to use. If that wasn't enough they shuffle Smithtown and Huntington kids down to Islip fields that require 50% local town of Islip players to even get a permit.

Comment

Better than Susa illegally using town fields for US Club games they have no right to use. If that wasn't enough they shuffle Smithtown and Huntington kids down to Islip fields that require 50% local town of Islip players to even get a permit.
                      Illegal how? Like the soccer police are going to come arrest my kid for kicking a ball?

Comment

Illegal how? Like the soccer police are going to come arrest my kid for kicking a ball?
                        Didn't say arrests, it's a civil issue. Why have rules with your logic? Maybe you can pay higher taxes for a village field where most of the kids come from outside of your village? Thanks!

Comment

Didn't say arrests, it's a civil issue. Why have rules with your logic? Maybe you can pay higher taxes for a village field where most of the kids come from outside of your village? Thanks!
                          yup and Lipps does the same in Smithtown. If enough people complain to the town they will investigate. These towns have nothing else going on so why not try to drum up some fines.

Comment

yup and Lipps does the same in Smithtown. If enough people complain to the town they will investigate. These towns have nothing else going on so why not try to drum up some fines.
                            Maybe the (on going) permit fees are greater than the (one off) fine. The only way outsiders would lose their permit (or get fined) is if a local group wanted the fields instead.

Comment

Maybe the (on going) permit fees are greater than the (one off) fine. The only way outsiders would lose their permit (or get fined) is if a local group wanted the fields instead.
                              I'm in Nassau, I have seen fields empty because the local town team doesn't want to compete with anyone.

Comment

I'm confused...A club pays to rent fields and works around the schedule of the town in which those fields are based, and that's illegal? I'm not very well versed in law, how is a civil issue illegal?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X