Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going back to graduation year from birth year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think you mean 14 - 16 for freshman year. Still a much smaller number than trapped players and easier to deal with. People are hoping for grad year but realistically I think it will go to school year if anything does change.
    School year? What does that mean if not the same thing as graduation year?

Comment

They should not only use graduation year but also use gender identity to keep everyone happy.

Comment

Definition Grad Year vs old school “calendar year”

*Graduation year = grade based teams = the year a player graduates from high school. Like Lacrosse.

*”School calendar year” teams = the old way before the change to birth year, which was Aug.1st to July 31st, which roughly corresponded with most school calendar years but varied by state school cut off dates.

Some people have a hard time understanding the difference.

Graduation year or school grade age groups would be the logical switch. Eliminates variation across states and aligns perfectly with school and college recruiting, which will increase participation and eliminate teams being messed up at 8th & 9th grade and again at 11th & 12th.

Comment

*Graduation year = grade based teams = the year a player graduates from high school. Like Lacrosse.

*”School calendar year” teams = the old way before the change to birth year, which was Aug.1st to July 31st, which roughly corresponded with most school calendar years but varied by state school cut off dates.

Graduation year or school grade age groups would be the logical switch. Eliminates variation across states and aligns perfectly with school and college recruiting, which will increase participation and eliminate teams being messed up at 8th & 9th grade and again at 11th & 12th.
          School Year means players stay with chronological age, with Sep - Aug as grouping
          Graduation Year means players align by year of graduation regardless of birth date

Comment

Yawn........

Comment

I certainly don't have the answers but there is a difference. When a kid starts kindegarten, they are typically (varies a little by state) 5 years old before Sept 1. Fast forward to freshmen year. Under school year, with the old way of doing ages, a 9th grader would be born approximately between Sept 1, 2004 and Aug 31, 2005. Again under the old school year system, that player would be U15. (Under current birth year system, freshmen year would be part u15 with Jan to Aug birthdays and part U16 with Sept -Dec birthdays)

If that player repeated their freshmen year when they went to private school, they should not get to repeat a year as a u15 for club soccer purposes. Just my opinion.

Comment

People still wringing their hands over the loss of their once coveted September birth date. Get over it.
                Let me guess... your kid is born in January...

In the current system, kids born in the fall have no club team to play for in the fall of 8th grade. That's 1/3 of players in every birth year that are negatively affected. For what?

Comment

Let me guess... your kid is born in January...

In the current system, kids born in the fall have no club team to play for in the fall of 8th grade. That's 1/3 of players in every birth year that are negatively affected. For what?
                  Nope, but I just love how it has completely effed up the arrogant people who denied RAE and that their September born kids were just better.

It is rewarding to still see the agony of the change.

Comment

Nope, but I just love how it has completely effed up the arrogant people who denied RAE and that their September born kids were just better.

It is rewarding to still see the agony of the change.
                    My daughter's ECNL team has 5 players that were born in the fall. Those kids don't need any RAE advantage to play on their current team. Missing out on a fall season when the rest of their teammates are playing in HS is what most parents of these kids would like to see fixed.

Most of the parents railing against grad year are the ones who don't want to see those kids born in the fall come back to play with their classmates.

Comment

The good ones will play up anyway.

Comment

My daughter's ECNL team has 5 players that were born in the fall. Those kids don't need any RAE advantage to play on their current team. Missing out on a fall season when the rest of their teammates are playing in HS is what most parents of these kids would like to see fixed.

Most of the parents railing against grad year are the ones who don't want to see those kids born in the fall come back to play with their classmates.
                        Nope, it is still just funny to me that the parents are just still so upset about it. And that they still think their kids are special and got robbed. Sorry but the runts of the last 1/3 of the year are always over looked and ignored. Enjoy it

Comment

Nope, it is still just funny to me that the parents are just still so upset about it. And that they still think their kids are special and got robbed. Sorry but the runts of the last 1/3 of the year are always over looked and ignored. Enjoy it
                          My kid has had to play with kids a grad year older for the past three years. It's been great for her. Yes, 8th grade sucked. Not so worried about her senior year. She will just take a spot from a junior.

Comment

I certainly don't have the answers but there is a difference. When a kid starts kindegarten, they are typically (varies a little by state) 5 years old before Sept 1. Fast forward to freshmen year. Under school year, with the old way of doing ages, a 9th grader would be born approximately between Sept 1, 2004 and Aug 31, 2005. Again under the old school year system, that player would be U15. (Under current birth year system, freshmen year would be part u15 with Jan to Aug birthdays and part U16 with Sept -Dec birthdays)

If that player repeated their freshmen year when they went to private school, they should not get to repeat a year as a u15 for club soccer purposes. Just my opinion.
                            Ahhh. Ok I see. So graduation year would be new as well if before this is was “school year” meaning the private school repeats didn’t play with their grade mates but with their age mates.

Comment

Nobody knows what, if anything, is happening. Could easily be all rumor.

Comment

Again--my kid is doing well playing with and against kids that are older... It will be a rude awakening for some of the parents like you if those "runts" come back and play with their classmates....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X