ECNL Girls Showcase South Carolina

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you would get out there and speak to your customers - you would not find many that are happy about the school issue. These players play lots and lots and lots and lots of soccer without missing school. There is no need to impose this conflict multiple times during an academic a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      How do families handle the school absences required for these showcases? We have a game scheduled on a school day so my player had to inform her teachers she would be out and why. Was fine with some and did not go over very well with others.

Do most players just claim "illness" or just suffer the consequences of missing school for sports?
      Your club should have a form for you to turn into school, however the ECNL has a letter you can use. Ask your club coach to send that letter out to your team.

Comment

But i really resent the conflict it sets up for the kids. I am telling my student that academics are absolutely the first priority and then these soccer programs come along and blow that up even though they claim to be supportive of academics.

Do not appreciate it at all and my player is very capable and absolutely belongs at this level of play. Sure we could just refuse to miss the school and show up late to the showcase but that does not work on a team sport. I also want to sent the message of being a team player.

I am fine with missing school for illness, or personal family needs, or visiting colleges at the direction of the students parents. n if it is at the Don't like it being imposed by sports activities. Just get rid of this unnecessary conflict.
        Again, your club should have a form for you to turn into your school. The ECNL also offers a letter you can use for an excused absence. Ask your club coach to send that letter out to your team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2618911]Yes - that is why ecnl was better then gda. But I can still choose ecnla and be critical of this problem. We are not doormats that just accept solvable problems with no effort to fix

What are you hoping to change? You are probably at least 3-4 years into the ecnl program. 15 to 20 thousand invested. You already know whats going to happen. Your complaining here is not going to change it. I will let you in on a little secret. Next year, your child will miss school again. I am sure you know the ecnl director. Talk to him/her.

Comment

This is a non issue. My ECNL daughter will miss 4 Fridays through the course of the year and the GPAs of her team range from 3.4 to 4.6. It is common to see them doing their homework on the plane or as a team in the hotel lobby. I believe this is good prep for the manner it's handled in college.

Comment

I agree and think that for the most part the events are scheduled to minimize absences from school. A few absences are unavoidable. As a previous poster mentioned, if a kid wants to play in college there will be some instances of missing classes. Learning how to manage that and making good use of time is a valuable skill for student-athletes.

My oldest is now a junior in college. She played ECNL and did need to miss some school but the total amount missed was not a lot - perhaps 3-4 days per year. There were kids that missed more but she would do things like fly out later when playing in the West. Missing only half of the day instead of the full day on the days of bus trips for regular conference games, etc. There are things that the kid can do to minimize the absences.
              Our club has a form for our players, but we also get a letter from the DA we can use.

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/kwdwh...e/499400311084

https://bsbproduction.s3.amazonaws.c...014-oct-16.pdf

Comment

This is a non issue. My ECNL daughter will miss 4 Fridays through the course of the year and the GPAs of her team range from 3.4 to 4.6. It is common to see them doing their homework on the plane or as a team in the hotel lobby. I believe this is good prep for the manner it's handled in college.
                Posted gets it.

Self reliance. Learn the lesson on your own. Be able to adapt and overcome. What are they really missing? A couple hours of lecture at most? In the average school day only about half the time is actually valuable. The rest is garbage babysitting.

Stop always being a mindless drone plodding along the well worn path.

Comment

If you want to minimize absents, Showcase can be schedule during the many break in the school year. Example spring break, thankgiving, labor day, chirstmas break, etc... All the mention breaks allow for three day weekend.

Comment

If you want to minimize absents, Showcase can be schedule during the many break in the school year. Example spring break, thankgiving, labor day, chirstmas break, etc... All the mention breaks allow for three day weekend.
                    Agree. At many HSs missing a full day is significant. Not all HS are wasting half the instructional time available or even close to it. Find a better high school.

Comment

Posted gets it.

Self reliance. Learn the lesson on your own. Be able to adapt and overcome. What are they really missing? A couple hours of lecture at most? In the average school day only about half the time is actually valuable. The rest is garbage babysitting.

Stop always being a mindless drone plodding along the well worn path.
                      You have not met good teachers then. My kid's math teacher is a machine. She comes in ready to go from minute one and expects the same of her students.

No different from a good coach.

Comment

DA Cup next week is Monday through Saturday. That is dumb dumb.

Comment

Ecnl is a scam. Player have to reach out to coaches. Paying anywhere between 5 to 10 thousand a year for the past 7 year. You may get a partial scholarship.
                          A partial scholarship for my kid works out to roughly 100k. Paying 30% instead of 100% is a pretty nice scam.

Comment

DA Cup next week is Monday through Saturday. That is dumb dumb.
                            lol. I guess it s worthwhile sacrifice for all those future pros.

Comment

You miss a couple of days , so wat - you do t get the perfect attendance ribbon at the end of the year- ain’t going to prevent you from getting into any of the ivy leagues -

Your kid will be fine

Complain on

Comment

lol. I guess it s worthwhile sacrifice for all those future pros.
                                DA is for for NTs - dumarse

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X