Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    To the sick people on this board who actually think 2009 wins matter. Get a life you morons and stop trying to live through your kids .
    “To be great you need to learn to win at every level” Tiger Woods .
    Show me a great player a legend a phenom who says winning doesn’t matter .. Sounds like some double talking coach speak to me . Why keep score ? Win /Lose/Draw are the only categories in the record books. Where is (Doesn’t Matter) in the box score? When I check the telly for overnight game scores where do I find the Winning Doesn’t Matter stat line?

Comment

Show me a great player a legend a phenom who says winning doesn’t matter .. Sounds like some double talking coach speak to me . Why keep score ? Win /Lose/Draw are the only categories in the record books. Where is (Doesn’t Matter) in the box score? When I check the telly for overnight game scores where do I find the Winning Doesn’t Matter stat line?
      The point is really that winning only matters at this age if they are actually playing (and being taught) good soccer and not winning a kick and run type game because you maybe have some big for their age players who can out run/push past the other teams ….

But truth is that is how most teams play here in NE area even at ECNL level...

Comment

Of course it matters. Kids should be traying to win.
        But, it matters that much that someone who didn't even play at that game should be bragging about several months after the game was played?

Comment

Of course it matters, but quoting pros and comparing youth to the level they play is a bad argument. The key is to teach good fundamentals and a style of play that will translate when they are older. It’s hard to play from the back in tight spaces, but it’s important, and you will probably give up some goals and lose some games if you do it, but it’s the right thing to do. If you just bomb it up the field to the fast kid and win every game at U10, that’s not doing much for the kids.

Now I think people take it way to far. It’s been my experience the teams that are taught properly and have talent figure it out and win a lot of games, just need to make sure you don’t skip steps.

Comment

Of course it matters, but quoting pros and comparing youth to the level they play is a bad argument. The key is to teach good fundamentals and a style of play that will translate when they are older. It’s hard to play from the back in tight spaces, but it’s important, and you will probably give up some goals and lose some games if you do it, but it’s the right thing to do. If you just bomb it up the field to the fast kid and win every game at U10, that’s not doing much for the kids.

Now I think people take it way to far. It’s been my experience the teams that are taught properly and have talent figure it out and win a lot of games, just need to make sure you don’t skip steps.
            I agree 100%...team with most talent does not always win the game at the younger ages..my older D scored at will at U10 but as she went up the levels (EDP, NPL, ECNL) it becomes harder and harder to dribble thru or outrun bigger and faster defenders so you need that build up from the back line with the passing and spacing etc....

With that said ...they are calling less and less of the holding and pushing so there is still a lot of the kick and run out there with the big physical strikers out muscling people …

Comment

To the sick people on this board who actually think 2009 wins matter. Get a life you morons and stop trying to live through your kids .
              Absolutely on point. Even in the pro leagues you can see great coaches use certain games for "development" or "reinforcement" of a certain strategy, especially when you're mid-table team. Parents who want to thump their chests to claim a win can frequently contradict coach's development plan.

Comment

I agree 100%...team with most talent does not always win the game at the younger ages..my older D scored at will at U10 but as she went up the levels (EDP, NPL, ECNL) it becomes harder and harder to dribble thru or outrun bigger and faster defenders so you need that build up from the back line with the passing and spacing etc....

With that said ...they are calling less and less of the holding and pushing so there is still a lot of the kick and run out there with the big physical strikers out muscling people …
                Of course, but playing direct to a big physical striker is a thing at every level of soccer. There is a difference in deciding to play direct to a player you feel has an advantage and have a plan, versus backs just mindlessly kicking it every time they touch it. People claim anything that isn’t a 15 pass build up is “kick and run” and that’s silly as well.

Comment

Of course, but playing direct to a big physical striker is a thing at every level of soccer. There is a difference in deciding to play direct to a player you feel has an advantage and have a plan, versus backs just mindlessly kicking it every time they touch it. People claim anything that isn’t a 15 pass build up is “kick and run” and that’s silly as well.
                  Agreed...in any sport you need to vary your play otherwise your too predictable...but at the younger ages they should be playing from the back and teaching them the proper pass to the correct foot...even in most ECNL or NL games most players don't know how to pass or cross a ball in a way to give their teammate a chance to make a play...to many balls right at feet or bouncing etc....some of this can be taught but kids also need to have some natural feel and touch. I believe it just not taught by most coaches..

Comment

You're right, on the professional level the gk will play direct if they see an opening off of a counter, save, etc. The difference between that and what is being decribed above is taking advantage of a tactical situation vs. doing that each and every play and game and not direct to a specific player. If you go out there and instruct your keeper to punt every time she touches the ball, that's kick and run. I don't think you should play out of the back to a fault as giving up needless goals to prove a developmental point over and over again is dumb, but claiming punt and hope is a real game strategy is laughable.

Comment

You're right, on the professional level the gk will play direct if they see an opening off of a counter, save, etc. The difference between that and what is being decribed above is taking advantage of a tactical situation vs. doing that each and every play and game and not direct to a specific player. If you go out there and instruct your keeper to punt every time she touches the ball, that's kick and run. I don't think you should play out of the back to a fault as giving up needless goals to prove a developmental point over and over again is dumb, but claiming punt and hope is a real game strategy is laughable.
                      We are talking about 09G here right ??

Anything under 14 yrs old should be 1st about teaching proper play and if you win that's great...but too many teams play only to win and never learn to play well..which will only hurt 90% of them when older....

Too many crazy parents looking for glory and bragging rights..and too many clubs more than willing to take the $3K +++ and give them what they want...much easier to recruit the big more athletic kids to play high pressure and physically dominate a game and it now follows that each year the refs are allowing more and more physical play with very very few yellow cards....its like basketball how the game has changed over the last 20 years and is now full contact ball palming not walking calls ect...

Comment

I agree, but the argument that every coach is awful and just plays kick and run is really over done. It’s youth soccer, kids have a hard time executing no matter how good the coach is. There is a reason only 5% play in college and a tiny fraction of them in the pros, it’s really hard to do.

Comment

We are talking about 09G here right ??

Anything under 14 yrs old should be 1st about teaching proper play and if you win that's great...but too many teams play only to win and never learn to play well..which will only hurt 90% of them when older....

Too many crazy parents looking for glory and bragging rights..and too many clubs more than willing to take the $3K +++ and give them what they want...much easier to recruit the big more athletic kids to play high pressure and physically dominate a game and it now follows that each year the refs are allowing more and more physical play with very very few yellow cards....its like basketball how the game has changed over the last 20 years and is now full contact ball palming not walking calls ect...
                          What is amazing about these morons that say "these are u11s? these are u12s? LOL. SMH. You parents have so much to learn it's sad."

Well somehow...someway...the same teams that were ranked at the top when they were u11 or u12... whether we are talking nationally or region 1...whatever floats your boat....those are the same teams at the top of the list for u14 and u15? so all of this "everything changes at u14....everything changes at u15...." well I guess the statement "the more things change, the more they stay the same" is what they really mean. LOL.

it must be one giant statistical anomaly I guess. must be the luckiest teams/clubs on earth to not have the dreaded fall off.

actually the truth of the matter is that only bullsh*t artists rely on qualitative inputs...quantitative data doesn't allow for the art of coach bullsh*t. just go look at the top ranked teams in region 1 for u14 and u15 and see where they were ranked 3 years ago. the data is out there for you. it's liberating when you embrace the truth. it shall set you free.

Comment

The point is really that winning only matters at this age if they are actually playing (and being taught) good soccer and not winning a kick and run type game because you maybe have some big for their age players who can out run/push past the other teams ….

But truth is that is how most teams play here in NE area even at ECNL level...
                            ECNL is built with winning and ranking in mind because parents think that their kid is the star only when the team is winning. GDA was meant to fix this problem by focusing on standard development, but largely failed.

Here are few ways where "developing" may be better than "winning" for those who tend to quote "tiger woods":
                            - play with both feet as opposed to favoring your strong foot to win
                            - avoid "cheap" plays that simply don't work when kids get older (e.g. punting the ball)
                            - focus on right plays rather than rely on mistakes by opposing team
                            - rotate players through different positions rather than rely on their current strengths

Comment

What is amazing about these morons that say "these are u11s? these are u12s? LOL. SMH. You parents have so much to learn it's sad."

Well somehow...someway...the same teams that were ranked at the top when they were u11 or u12... whether we are talking nationally or region 1...whatever floats your boat....those are the same teams at the top of the list for u14 and u15? so all of this "everything changes at u14....everything changes at u15...." well I guess the statement "the more things change, the more they stay the same" is what they really mean. LOL.

it must be one giant statistical anomaly I guess. must be the luckiest teams/clubs on earth to not have the dreaded fall off.

actually the truth of the matter is that only bullsh*t artists rely on qualitative inputs...quantitative data doesn't allow for the art of coach bullsh*t. just go look at the top ranked teams in region 1 for u14 and u15 and see where they were ranked 3 years ago. the data is out there for you. it's liberating when you embrace the truth. it shall set you free.
                              Its very rare that all the players on a u10 team stay together thru u14/15 so most of the times the team name may be the same but really a diff team...plus most ranking for U10-14/15 are BS and based on points or how many tournaments you play....it really only means something for the parents and club recruiting

Comment

Its very rare that all the players on a u10 team stay together thru u14/15 so most of the times the team name may be the same but really a diff team...plus most ranking for U10-14/15 are BS and based on points or how many tournaments you play....it really only means something for the parents and club recruiting
                                I have no idea how to respond.

1) Somehow you went to U10 when I said U11/U12. How does one read an entry and then backtrack 1-2 years? Is it a mental block? I never wrote that U10 was relevant and here you go with U10 doesn't mean anything and the team doesn't stay together...THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS SAID. U11/U12 the data shows CLEARLY that teams ranked in the top 5, 10, 20, 25....are still ranked that high 2 years later. Read what I wrote.

2) Are you really telling me that U14/U15 national rankings are BS? Wow you just have no idea what you are talking about.

3) Get a clue, bro

U14 Top 25...lots of clubs here focused on random tournaments to rack up points
                                1. PDA
                                2. Slammers
                                3. Legends
                                4. San Diego Surf
                                5. FC Dallas
                                6. Solar
                                7. Colorado Rapids
                                8. Virginia Development Academy
                                9. Internationals
                                10. San Juan SC
                                11. Concorde Fire
                                12. World Class FC
                                13. OP
                                14. Charlotte Soccer Academy
                                15. Tophat
                                16. MVLA
                                17. South Carolina United
                                18. San Jose Earthquakes
                                19. Dallas Sting
                                20. FC Stars
                                21. GSA
                                22. Tampa Bay United
                                23. Crossfire Premier
                                24. So Cal Blues
                                25. SC del Sol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X