Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Your naivete about the surroundings is evident.

You have no idea about the futbal base in Medford, Malden, Cambridge, Everett, Revere and the international students (at least while they can still come to this country). The kids in this area also grow up with futbal. MLS will change, the Boston Revolution will be supported by the area fans just like Boston Bruins are. It's what people do.

and Celtics are NOT international. There is nothing international about the Red Sox. Why do people insist on this nonsense?
    Who is proposing a ban on international students?

Comment

Revs may succed some day, but you have to realize they are decades behind. Generations have watched games together in the other sports.

What would be great is an ownership pushing the game vs collecting the cash. If he did the former more, he’d be able to do plenty of the latter.

Comment

Revs may succed some day, but you have to realize they are decades behind. Generations have watched games together in the other sports.

What would be great is an ownership pushing the game vs collecting the cash. If he did the former more, he’d be able to do plenty of the latter.
        Brady's kids play soccer at our club. Things are shiftin.

Comment

You have no idea about the futbal base in Medford, Malden, Cambridge, Everett, Revere and the international students (at least while they can still come to this country). The kids in this area also grow up with futbal. MLS will change, the Boston Revolution will be supported by the area fans just like Boston Bruins are. It's what people do.

and Celtics are NOT international. There is nothing international about the Red Sox. Why do people insist on this nonsense?
          You need a broad devoted fanbase, not just recent immigrants/first generation. The market is BOSTON. No one said anything about international.

Comment

Brady's kids play soccer at our club. Things are shiftin.

They are....but still have several decades to catch up

Comment

There was an article posted elsewhere showing youth soccer participation has dropped 12% in just the last three years, as parents are frustrated with costs, travel, poor coaching etc. That won't help build a soccer culture. Besides the obvious lack of support from Kraft, I think Boston is a tough market for a new sport to become popular - fans have the Pats, Sox, Bruins and Celts. Locals fans have grown up with their teams. Many never played soccer. Not only do they need a new location that's a better size (it's depressing to see so many empty seats at Foxboro), easier access, but also a stronger team and a lot of creative marketing. It needs a multi year, multi pronged plan, something not in the interests of current ownership.
              What is the non-soccer culture definition of poor coaching?
              How do you even know?
              I’d be more concerned with poor math teaching?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2310542]Your naivete about the surroundings is evident.

Those towns you mention may have passionate, knowledgeable fans; but you need corporate sponsors and TV money to make it competitive with the other four pro sports teams I this town. World Cup 94 was supposed to make soccer relevant in the US. Still a long way to go

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2310758]

Those towns you mention may have passionate, knowledgeable fans; but you need corporate sponsors and TV money to make it competitive with the other four pro sports teams I this town. World Cup 94 was supposed to make soccer relevant in the US. Still a long way to go
                  It's also about season ticket holders and regular attendees. You have to get butts in the seats on a regular basis. How many people from Revere will go regularly or buy season tickets? Compare that to the wait list to get Pats season tickets?

Comment

I heard from a friend that works at Gillette that the NFL wants soccer out at shared stadiums and it is true they are moving to Boston.

Comment

I heard from a friend that works at Gillette that the NFL wants soccer out at shared stadiums and it is true they are moving to Boston.

Why does the NFL care?

Comment

I didn't ask.

Comment

I didn't ask.
                          So we are relying on some stiff pouring watered down draft beer for the movement of the Revs?

Comment

So we are relying on some stiff pouring watered down draft beer for the movement of the Revs?
                            Seems legit. Honestly, I'd start putting shovels in the ground based on this information.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2310844]

It's also about season ticket holders and regular attendees. You have to get butts in the seats on a regular basis. How many people from Revere will go regularly or buy season tickets? Compare that to the wait list to get Pats season tickets?
                              You are right, you have to get butts in the seats on a regular basis, and that is the whole point. They DON'T get enough butts in the seats at Gillette on a regular basis. Even if they averaged 20,000 fans a game, Gillette would feel empty far too often. They'd really need to average 30,000 or more at Gillette, filling the entire lower ball at almost all times, to make Gillette an appropriate home, but that wouldn't solve the turf problem.

Would they be able to do that, if they had a true star player on the roster all the time, and/or if they ran the train direct to Gillette for all Revs games? I don't know, they've never tried to do either, so no one can say for sure. But as someone who has been a season ticket holder since 1996, I would gladly pay more for my tickets and pay to park in the city or take public transportation if they had a stadium in Boston. I have told the club that at every opportunity.

The Patriots are not an appropriate comparison, because the NFL is the most popular team sports league in the country, there are only 8 regular season home games, they run the train to the games, and the league has decades more history. And if you know anything about that history, you know that until the era of Parcells and Bledsoe, Kraft buying the team to ensure it wouldn't move, and then the era of Belicheck and Brady, the Patriots were a laughingstock and tickets were easy to come by. I remember not being able to watch home games on TV under the old blackout rule because there were not enough home tickets sold.

It is not unreasonable at all to believe Revs would be far better off in their own smaller stadium, located on public transportation, in the Boston urban core, with a grass field. At this point, however, I have no faith that the Krafts can pull it off. After all their years of saying they want to do it and nothing getting done, I won't believe it until I'm staring at a completed project.

Comment

Seems legit. Honestly, I'd start putting shovels in the ground based on this information.
                                I don't care what you think and I also don't care where the Revs play. I mentioned to my friend that works at the stadium that I was reading that the Revs are moving to a Boston location. Response was - that is true. I then said that would probably a loser for Kraft considering the draw they have. Response was - the NFL wants them out. That was enough for me and I moved on to the next topic.

I t doesn't sound like it is happening all that soon - so you can put your shovel away for a bit.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X