Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wow, just wow. Trusting unconditionally is how we ended up with things like the clergy scandal. Go back to the dark ages, your dinosaur is calling.
    It takes a village...idiot
    Do u send ur kid to school?

Not sure I read unconditionally anywhere...

Comment

As the parent of a YNT prospect I can safely say that there isn't a single coach out there anywhere in the world that I would give this much control to. There is no economic incentive for them to take on that responsibility and so you are asking for a lot blood, sweat and tears for very little in return. It's just not how the system is built in this country. Best case you can find a few random benevolent coaches who unfortunately are usually flawed in some way either because of a lack of true high level coaching experience or an over reliance on one dogma or another. Ultimately they just won't be able to bring your kid to where they need to go despite all of their promises. That said there are some very good coaches around here that I would have no problem giving slices of the pie to but would never even consider giving them complete control of my kid's destiny like you are suggesting. Just expect that you will have to pay them through the nose for their expertise and then take their feedback with a very jaundiced eye because blowing sunshine up your pantleg is how they ensure repeat customers. The bottom line is you as the parent can never step back and just entrust someone else to develop your kid. They are a big part of the reason there is no objectivity in club soccer.
      OP here... thank you for the constructive feedback and good luck to your prospect. What you are saying make sense. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Seek different inputs and influences. Is that what you do? Do you attend privates with multiple coaches to do that? Do you rely on various coaches within your club?

My goal was not to give complete control but rather find a program/coach with a solid foundation built on the principles I mentioned. I have found what I have been paying for is smoke and mirrors. The coaching has been subpar in even in self proclaimed pathway programs. If you question it, you will be pushed out and discarded. This would never fly in a work situation. If an employee (coach) doesn't cut it, and doesn't deliver, the employer (parent) moves on and finds the next qualified candidate. As a parent we can't control what coaches a club has or what their philosophy is, but we can choose where to spend our money and what situation to put our kids in. And while I understand some of the sarcasm and ridicule (I even get a good chuckle), I still believe in holding people accountable, especially when they are being paid to do a job. If they don't deliver, I'll move on.

I also hear you about a coach blowing smoke up the pant leg. I've experienced or witnessed that for years too. I don't want to count on the coach to tell me that they are great. I'm coming to the soccer community, parents in particular, to tell me WHO IS GREAT? Heck, I'll take above average at this point. And don't just drop a name or a club, tell me why? Help inform me and others like me.

And for those of you that want to ridicule, etc, have at it. I have thick skin but I know how to laugh too.

Comment

Never Entrust someone else to develop your kid...huh
        Hope you’re not involved in education.
        What a stupid narcissistic post-your kid been out of the house yet?
        I don't think that's what the poster meant. I read it as they trust to a degree and they take feedback from multiple sources.

Comment

OP here... thank you for the constructive feedback and good luck to your prospect. What you are saying make sense. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Seek different inputs and influences. Is that what you do? Do you attend privates with multiple coaches to do that? Do you rely on various coaches within your club?

My goal was not to give complete control but rather find a program/coach with a solid foundation built on the principles I mentioned. I have found what I have been paying for is smoke and mirrors. The coaching has been subpar in even in self proclaimed pathway programs. If you question it, you will be pushed out and discarded. This would never fly in a work situation. If an employee (coach) doesn't cut it, and doesn't deliver, the employer (parent) moves on and finds the next qualified candidate. As a parent we can't control what coaches a club has or what their philosophy is, but we can choose where to spend our money and what situation to put our kids in. And while I understand some of the sarcasm and ridicule (I even get a good chuckle), I still believe in holding people accountable, especially when they are being paid to do a job. If they don't deliver, I'll move on.

I also hear you about a coach blowing smoke up the pant leg. I've experienced or witnessed that for years too. I don't want to count on the coach to tell me that they are great. I'm coming to the soccer community, parents in particular, to tell me WHO IS GREAT? Heck, I'll take above average at this point. And don't just drop a name or a club, tell me why? Help inform me and others like me.

And for those of you that want to ridicule, etc, have at it. I have thick skin but I know how to laugh too.
          Can I ask why the YNT prospect part is remotely relevant? does it make his commentary more valuable? A coaches job is to get the best out of varying levels of talent? you need to define what is great to you, randoms on a soccer forum cannot do that for you. great at improving top level talent does not mean great at developing all talent. great with defenders does not necessarily meant great with attackers.

You get the picture

Comment

Can I ask why the YNT prospect part is remotely relevant? does it make his commentary more valuable? A coaches job is to get the best out of varying levels of talent? you need to define what is great to you, randoms on a soccer forum cannot do that for you. great at improving top level talent does not mean great at developing all talent. great with defenders does not necessarily meant great with attackers.

You get the picture
            I agree with a previous poster who mentioned the prospect has more at stake and yet this is their approach. Similar to their advice, it's one piece to consider. Information is good. It doesn't mean you need to do what they are doing because they are a higher level. I don't see it as bragging or not applicable because most are not in the same shoes. I see it as information. We split hairs too much. That said, I agree, their coach may be perfect for their situation and not someone else's.

Comment

I agree with a previous poster who mentioned the prospect has more at stake and yet this is their approach. Similar to their advice, it's one piece to consider. Information is good. It doesn't mean you need to do what they are doing because they are a higher level. I don't see it as bragging or not applicable because most are not in the same shoes. I see it as information. We split hairs too much. That said, I agree, their coach may be perfect for their situation and not someone else's.
              Why do they have more at stake? i would say the opposite.

Comment

You’re like every other self-proselytizing know-it-all.
                What do you know about coaching? Have you played or coached at any level? Or are you an expert based on your nyt caliber player (based on what, by the way? A coach’s recommendation?)
                Spend more time worrying about the smoke blowing of your teachers? Are they recommending Harvard?

Comment

You’re like every other self-proselytizing know-it-all.
                  What do you know about coaching? Have you played or coached at any level? Or are you an expert based on your nyt caliber player (based on what, by the way? A coach’s recommendation?)
                  Spend more time worrying about the smoke blowing of your teachers? Are they recommending Harvard?
                  I am the OP. I was think you have missed my point (at least I hope that is the case). I only want to help my daughter have a chance at playing in college. That's it. She is not considered a prospect. She is not college ready nor have I been given any advice on where to go. Not sure where you go that from this thread.

I'm not a know-it-all. That's why I am asking questions. I'm trying to educate myself and be resourceful.

I do think good coaches share similar qualities, such as ability to motivate, good communicator, knowledgeable, etc etc. I'm relating what I get in soccer to what I get elsewhere. When I buy another product or service or how things work in the work place. A certain deliverable or level of quality is expected back (assuming my daughter is capable to continue to grow). I can't do it myself, so I need help.

Comment

I am the OP. I was think you have missed my point (at least I hope that is the case). I only want to help my daughter have a chance at playing in college. That's it. She is not considered a prospect. She is not college ready nor have I been given any advice on where to go. Not sure where you go that from this thread.
                    I'm not a know-it-all. That's why I am asking questions. I'm trying to educate myself and be resourceful.
                    I agree with the Spirit of Liverpool and some of their older coaches. JR is great for middle school and HS aged kids. But they have others too. For middle school age, consider ODP for some pure training and then you get the feedback in the identification process. At high school ages, look for college coaches doing part time gigs at the club level in the spring. They know what it takes to play in college and can train your kid accordingly.

Comment

There is no magic unicorn of coaches that work for everyone. Getting opinions are good, but they are just that.

We've had 6 coaches over the last 5 years through different programs and extra trainings. Some, my daughter would literally run through a brick wall for; others she cannot stand. She's the same player, same energy, same attitude for all. Some like it, some don't. Some players loved the coaches she disliked, some hate the coaches she liked.

Comment

I have watched him develop and interact with countless players over the years. Hard to find a coach that gives more to a player than Ginger Baker of Stars. He is a dedicated coach.

Comment

Ya he's a knowledgeable coach and nice guy .Theres a lot of credible coaches just have to ask around depending on your location.

Comment

How do I paint my masterpiece?
                            I've got the paint, I see the canvas.
                            The inspiration is before us.
                            How can my symphony arrive?
                            I know the notes, I hear the chorus.
                            Master can you share your clues?
                            The wisdom of your hard earned views?
                            There must be something I can buy,
                            A magic notion I can try
                            to bring the flower to my vine.

Comment

Couple of suggestions. Coaches and clubs give the kids the tools but they need to go home and work on it. Practice, practice, practice. Watch YouTube video, watch games, and practice some more.

Second, if you need one-on-one time, ask for it. Your kid is old enough to ask the coach for some pointers after practice or during practice, if appropriate. Tell your kid to be proactive and advocate for themselves. Coaches love kids who ask questions. It will help them both in soccer and life.

Lastly, if your kid need lots of extra time. Hire a local college athlete. They need some extra money, and your kid would probably love working with a college kid.

Comment

Why do they have more at stake? i would say the opposite.
                                Seriously? This demonstrates why some on this site are absolutely insane. This is not about one persons goals being more important than another. If you think the stakes are equal or reversed between a ynt prospect and your average kid just trying to make their high school varsity you have absolutely no concept of what club soccer is about. One thing it most definitely not about is rec level players with modest goals.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X