Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Girls' COACHING and Club

Anyone know of a club where the coaches actually care about helping your daughter develop? I'm not talking about running through drills for technical training. All clubs do that. I'm talking about taking personal interest in the development and having real feedback and real examples of what needs to be improved and then (I know this is crazy) giving the kids the tools to actually fix whatever is broke/not as strong.

This philosophy of plucking the best players to create strong teams is good for the club to boast how good they are when they had very little to do with the players' development. Very little coaching is needed to do that but they play it off like this is a result of their training program. This approach is more of an organized mafia strong arm tactic. Clubs pluck girls and then push aside kids on the bubble because they don't want to invest in the development despite the club's claims of providing that service and the outlay of cash from the parents. We allow ourselves to get suckered into it hoping that this club or coach will be different.

I'm seeking a club/coach that actually wants to focus on the development of each kid. I'm also not looking for candy land. Good straight up feedback and resolutions is all I ask. It seems to be a big ask these days. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Maybe it's a pipe dream. Maybe I'm alone thinking that if I pay the club they should actual provide professional development instead of lip service. I don't expect my daughter to reach the national level even with the best coaching, but she's capable of playing in college with the right help.

Any suggestions on clubs that take this responsibility seriously?

Oh boy. You must have a young one. Here's a tip. Managing your expectations is the key to happiness in youth soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Anyone know of a club where the coaches actually care about helping your daughter develop? I'm not talking about running through drills for technical training. All clubs do that. I'm talking about taking personal interest in the development and having real feedback and real examples of what needs to be improved and then (I know this is crazy) giving the kids the tools to actually fix whatever is broke/not as strong.

This philosophy of plucking the best players to create strong teams is good for the club to boast how good they are when they had very little to do with the players' development. Very little coaching is needed to do that but they play it off like this is a result of their training program. This approach is more of an organized mafia strong arm tactic. Clubs pluck girls and then push aside kids on the bubble because they don't want to invest in the development despite the club's claims of providing that service and the outlay of cash from the parents. We allow ourselves to get suckered into it hoping that this club or coach will be different.

I'm seeking a club/coach that actually wants to focus on the development of each kid. I'm also not looking for candy land. Good straight up feedback and resolutions is all I ask. It seems to be a big ask these days. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Maybe it's a pipe dream. Maybe I'm alone thinking that if I pay the club they should actual provide professional development instead of lip service. I don't expect my daughter to reach the national level even with the best coaching, but she's capable of playing in college with the right help.

I knew a few, but they all went belly up because, truly, nobody gives a rats ass about development.

And how old is your daughter as you seem to know she is capable of playing in college, which care
      less about technical skill than athleticism

Comment

Spirit of Liverpool in Oxford

Comment

I knew a few, but they all went belly up because, truly, nobody gives a rats ass about development.

And how old is your daughter as you seem to know she is capable of playing in college, which care
          less about technical skill than athleticism
          She's somewhere in U13-U15 range (intentionally vague). She already gets the repetitive training at her current club. She is athletic and has decent size and speed. Could play any sport but she loves soccer the most.

We have time to continue to get better and make college a reality but I've seen enough BS at the clubs. I don't want to waste any more time.

Comment

She's somewhere in U13-U15 range (intentionally vague). She already gets the repetitive training at her current club. She is athletic and has decent size and speed. Could play any sport but she loves soccer the most.

We have time to continue to get better and make college a reality but I've seen enough BS at the clubs. I don't want to waste any more time.
            You seem to know more than a lot. Teach her and she doesn't even need to play on a team. When college time comes just ask college coaches to go see her on your back yard. Stop...think...are you serious?

Comment

The problem here is that “love” doesn’t count for much.
              Are you saying she could play field hockey, softball, basketball, run track, lacrosse all in college because she is athletic with decent size and speed?
              That’s like saying she could be a doctor because she can read and write and doesn’t mind the sight of blood.

My friend, just enjoy the next few years and let the chips fall where they may...create a new fan that loves the game and passes it on to the next generation

Comment

Unfortunately, the sarcastic and condescending replies here are the exact reason clubs don't offer this kind of service. A parent interested in development is ridiculed. In the US, winning is the only thing that matters. Try to actually develop a kid, and this is the feedback you get.

Good luck, OP. I'd like to think maybe the smaller clubs might do a better job here but if she's already close to HS age and you're hoping for college, I wonder if you could an afford to trade the exposure that a higher level team would give for development.

Comment

As the parent of a YNT prospect I can safely say that there isn't a single coach out there anywhere in the world that I would give this much control to. There is no economic incentive for them to take on that responsibility and so you are asking for a lot blood, sweat and tears for very little in return. It's just not how the system is built in this country. Best case you can find a few random benevolent coaches who unfortunately are usually flawed in some way either because of a lack of true high level coaching experience or an over reliance on one dogma or another. Ultimately they just won't be able to bring your kid to where they need to go despite all of their promises. That said there are some very good coaches around here that I would have no problem giving slices of the pie to but would never even consider giving them complete control of my kid's destiny like you are suggesting. Just expect that you will have to pay them through the nose for their expertise and then take their feedback with a very jaundiced eye because blowing sunshine up your pantleg is how they ensure repeat customers. The bottom line is you as the parent can never step back and just entrust someone else to develop your kid. They are a big part of the reason there is no objectivity in club soccer.

Comment

Spirit of Liverpool in Oxford
                    Valeo in Newton

Comment

As the parent of a YNT prospect I can safely say that there isn't a single coach out there anywhere in the world that I would give this much control to. There is no economic incentive for them to take on that responsibility and so you are asking for a lot blood, sweat and tears for very little in return. It's just not how the system is built in this country. Best case you can find a few random benevolent coaches who unfortunately are usually flawed in some way either because of a lack of true high level coaching experience or an over reliance on one dogma or another. Ultimately they just won't be able to bring your kid to where they need to go despite all of their promises. That said there are some very good coaches around here that I would have no problem giving slices of the pie to but would never even consider giving them complete control of my kid's destiny like you are suggesting. Just expect that you will have to pay them through the nose for their expertise and then take their feedback with a very jaundiced eye because blowing sunshine up your pantleg is how they ensure repeat customers. The bottom line is you as the parent can never step back and just entrust someone else to develop your kid. They are a big part of the reason there is no objectivity in club soccer.
                      they do exist, but rare. Complete control; doe snot exist becasue parents will always play a huge role in shaping a player. Development is no just technical on the field stuff. Its a lot more. I trust my daughters coach 100 pct. part of that trust is him encouraging her to listen to many inputs and use them to grow.

The YNT thing is a bit irrelevant . I think many of the YNT coaches do more harm than good. Too rigid, too early. Very little real experience at the highest levels of the game.

Comment

Never Entrust someone else to develop your kid...huh
                        Hope you’re not involved in education.
                        What a stupid narcissistic post-your kid been out of the house yet?

Comment

Irrelevant to 99.9% of TS posters. They're looking for a club that will help teach their kids good fundamentals and encourage their love of the game. At most they're hoping for opportunities to play in college; some not even that high. Virtually none know anything about soccer. They have to try and find the best situations for their kids without knowing much about what makes a quality soccer coach. Top it off with a really f'd up landscape, a lot of mediocre coaches and clubs only concerned with making a buck. I have a kid of similar age and find the situation very frustrating.

Comment

Never Entrust someone else to develop your kid...huh
                            Hope you’re not involved in education.
                            What a stupid narcissistic post-your kid been out of the house yet?
                            Wow, just wow. Trusting unconditionally is how we ended up with things like the clergy scandal. Go back to the dark ages, your dinosaur is calling.

Comment

Irrelevant to 99.9% of TS posters. They're looking for a club that will help teach their kids good fundamentals and encourage their love of the game. At most they're hoping for opportunities to play in college; some not even that high. Virtually none know anything about soccer. They have to try and find the best situations for their kids without knowing much about what makes a quality soccer coach. Top it off with a really f'd up landscape, a lot of mediocre coaches and clubs only concerned with making a buck. I have a kid of similar age and find the situation very frustrating.
                              If it’s not good for a top level player where the stakes are higher why is it then good for the rest. Strikes as a bit lazy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X