Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do college coaches pay much attention to U19?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Be honest. Did your child have a chance to commit early? Mine didn't, but if she had the opportunity to commit to a top school, however defined, I don't see how it would not be beneficial to the player.
    op here I was very thankful mine wasn't under that kind of pressure to commit super early. As it was I thought it was too early (sophomore year vs junior year for my older son) but she's very mature with good grades too. Some of her teammates (and their parents) were clueless and didn't always make good choices.

I don't understand why anyone thinks pressuring kids to decide literally years ahead of the normal college decision timeline is a good idea. It's gotten that way only because it's a continual arms race with parents, clubs and coaches to keep moving up the timetable

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      op here I was very thankful mine wasn't under that kind of pressure to commit super early. As it was I thought it was too early (sophomore year vs junior year for my older son) but she's very mature with good grades too. Some of her teammates (and their parents) were clueless and didn't always make good choices.

I don't understand why anyone thinks pressuring kids to decide literally years ahead of the normal college decision timeline is a good idea. It's gotten that way only because it's a continual arms race with parents, clubs and coaches to keep moving up the timetable
      A 9th grader from BBA committed recently to BC, and I am sure her parents were all over it. If it doesn't look like it is going to work out by junior year, then the kid can reevaluate.

Comment

A 9th grader from BBA committed recently to BC, and I am sure her parents were all over it. If it doesn't look like it is going to work out by junior year, then the kid can reevaluate.
        8th graders are committing. File that under "definition of insanity"

Comment

8th graders are committing. File that under "definition of insanity"
          Or the definition of reality

Comment

It is, but it's bad reality. Asinine really. 15 year olds have little sense of what they really want, no matter how mature they appear.

We went through this charade as a Freshman/Sophomore, it didn't work out for a few different reasons. Had she stuck with that early one, which seemed great at the time, the coach that recruited her wouldn't have been there as he was gone by the time she graduated HS. Committed late summer/early Junior to a much better situation. Both were top 50 RPI but very different schools. And not for nothing, the bench at her school is littered with top early recruits who just didn't have it. It's tough.

My son is going through it now but with a much better time line (different sport but much more reasonable). Schools seem much more cautious/organized on the boys side of sports. JMHO.

Comment

It is, but it's bad reality. Asinine really. 15 year olds have little sense of what they really want, no matter how mature they appear.

We went through this charade as a Freshman/Sophomore, it didn't work out for a few different reasons. Had she stuck with that early one, which seemed great at the time, the coach that recruited her wouldn't have been there as he was gone by the time she graduated HS. Committed late summer/early Junior to a much better situation. Both were top 50 RPI but very different schools. And not for nothing, the bench at her school is littered with top early recruits who just didn't have it. It's tough.

My son is going through it now but with a much better time line (different sport but much more reasonable). Schools seem much more cautious/organized on the boys side of sports. JMHO.
              Even other girls sports have a much more reasonable time line. I’m surprised the NCAA hasn’t cracked down. 8th grade commitments are just plain stupid on many levels.

Comment

Even other girls sports have a much more reasonable time line. I’m surprised the NCAA hasn’t cracked down. 8th grade commitments are just plain stupid on many levels.
                Who actually gives a crap what you think is stupid? Really is your kid even in a position to be thinking about commitment or are you just one of the dinosaurs living in the past and not accepting the realities of today. In either event your little crusade is misplaced because the fact is that college recruiting on the girls side does start in the 7th/8th grade now and there are actually some young girls out there who are faced with making a very tough decision at a very early age. All you do is make that decision harder for them gather information about.

Comment

Lmfao. It's amazing how failure turns into noble sour grapes.

Comment

College coaches on the girls side actually are interested in U18/19. The players they're most interested in are those players that committed to their program. They like to get to know their recruits better. Unfortunately what they sometimes realize is that they made a mistake in recruiting particular players.

Comment

Have you read this?
                      https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.leagu...L_20171013.pdf

Comment

Who actually gives a crap what you think is stupid? Really is your kid even in a position to be thinking about commitment or are you just one of the dinosaurs living in the past and not accepting the realities of today. In either event your little crusade is misplaced because the fact is that college recruiting on the girls side does start in the 7th/8th grade now and there are actually some young girls out there who are faced with making a very tough decision at a very early age. All you do is make that decision harder for them gather information about.
                        Actually mine has already gone through it. Best of luck. If you think it’s prudent, you are a terrible parent.

Comment

Lmfao. It's amazing how failure turns into noble sour grapes.
                          Fail to understand a parable? You probably believe in GDA as well.

Comment

Actually mine has already gone through it. Best of luck. If you think it’s prudent, you are a terrible parent.
                            So has mine. My guess is you are a pedophile, so who is the worse parent.

Comment

Not entirely. D's good friend was recruited for softball in 8th grade. 8th fuking grade. Dad is a nutjob so I'm not surprised. LAX is experimenting with absolutely zero recruiting work until junior year, I believe including ID events. Soccer made a minor change by having no "recruiting" discussion at ID events prior to junior year but really that's a joke. There's enough loopholes in recruiting to drive a Mac truck through. You know who dislikes it the most? College coaches! But they're stuck in a cold war arms race to get talent before someone else does. Without system wide reform that can't be abused (by coaches or parents) it won't change.

Comment

Here's the thing - parents can say NO. Your job is to protect your child and guide them through a complicated process when they are ready to do so. If your player isn't ready to make such a decision then say NO. Will opportunities be missed? Yes, but mostly in terms of $. Coaches will make room on the roster for a baller (and the coach at 8th grade very well might not be there junior year). If they prove themselves freshman year they might be able to get $ later. Stop chasing the $ and do what's best for your kid. The earlier it happens the more likely it will fall apart later on, either before senior year or in college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X