Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ny surf

Any good facts or opinions on SURF . Got an email that they are starting a team in Stonybrook where we live close to. Looking to step up from the town team as daughter is showing some talent and want to get some real training

NY Surf has been a rudderless ship. It is not a cohesive club. If you are lucky enough to get on one of the teams with a good coach, you are fine. But if not you are going to spend a lot of money being frustrated with the lack of focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Any good facts or opinions on SURF . Got an email that they are starting a team in Stonybrook where we live close to. Looking to step up from the town team as daughter is showing some talent and want to get some real training
      what yr is your daughter born?

Comment

what yr is your daughter born?
        2007, any advice... Live near Stonybrook.

Comment

Right now the only good Surf teams are the ones they brought in from other places as pre-existing teams. They have failed miserably in creating teams from scratch. I wouldn't let my kid near them until they show they can recruit a volume of quality players to a new team.

Depending on where you live in Stony Brook I would check out the 07 girls teams in Smithtown, Lake Grove, Sound Beach and Terryville first. Maybe even Mount Sinai though they have slid from where they were 4 or 5 years ago.

Comment

Srtony Brook itself has a great 07 team. Surrounding towns are decent as well. I would try Stony Brook.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, where does your daughter play?

Also, I believe Stony Brook and Surf have some sort of partnership.

Comment

Stony Brook G07 are very good option so i'd check them out if i were you.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, where does your daughter play?

Also, I believe Stony Brook and Surf have some sort of partnership.
                  Yes, but it's a tenuous one. The partnership was made so that the former Mt Sinai Bronco's (that had just become the Stony Brook Broncos) could use the Surf name to get into some high level tournaments that they were previously blocked from getting into. The rest of the Surf/Stony Brook partnership has been a poor one at best as it's going through a number of starts and stops.

Comment

Yes, but it's a tenuous one. The partnership was made so that the former Mt Sinai Bronco's (that had just become the Stony Brook Broncos) could use the Surf name to get into some high level tournaments that they were previously blocked from getting into. The rest of the Surf/Stony Brook partnership has been a poor one at best as it's going through a number of starts and stops.
                    I don't think there's actually any partnership going on right now. They basically share/ compete for Stony Brook University facilities.

The best G2007 club team in this area seems to be Smithtown Fury. Stony Brook lost top players, mostly to SUSA, last year.

Surf has typically good coaching so check out what kind of player talent they can bring to Suffolk tryouts. A decent Suffolk team may serve as a feeder to their Farmingdale-based academy team which is quite good.

Comment

SBU Coaches

Saw on Instagram that NY Surf announced new coaching staff for their older aged girls teams...

Head Coach & Assistant from SBU will be coaching the U17 & U18

Comment

Saw on Instagram that NY Surf announced new coaching staff for their older aged girls teams...

Head Coach & Assistant from SBU will be coaching the U17 & U18
                        IMO Surf just has the name . I’d check out Smithtown

Comment

Seems like you don't know much about the program. Smithtown coaches are not even close to the quality that Surf has. College coaches with players at this age is extremely beneficial for them if they want to play at college.

Comment

Seems like you don't know much about the program. Smithtown coaches are not even close to the quality that Surf has. College coaches with players at this age is extremely beneficial for them if they want to play at college.
                            College coaches are rarely around in the fall because they are dealing with their college teams.

Comment

College coaches are rarely around in the fall because they are dealing with their college teams.
                              True. And most club teams at HS age don't do much training in the fall either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X