when does college recruiting start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the question, recruiting generally happens freshmen and sophomore years with a lot of girls committed by sophomore year. The poster is right. College coaches talk to club coaches all the time, players can call coaches, and players may be invited for an unofficial visit, all prior to September 1 junior year. There are, of course, exceptions. I know of girls who committed earlier and later. I know of a lot more boys who committed later, including spring of senior year if you can believe it. The commitments are verbal, even with schools offering full packages. The verbal is meaningful, but if your kid screws up, it is worth nothing. They have to keep up with the academic pace of whatever school they are looking at and can’t get in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      To answer the question, recruiting generally happens freshmen and sophomore years with a lot of girls committed by sophomore year. The poster is right. College coaches talk to club coaches all the time, players can call coaches, and players may be invited for an unofficial visit, all prior to September 1 junior year. There are, of course, exceptions. I know of girls who committed earlier and later. I know of a lot more boys who committed later, including spring of senior year if you can believe it. The commitments are verbal, even with schools offering full packages. The verbal is meaningful, but if your kid screws up, it is worth nothing. They have to keep up with the academic pace of whatever school they are looking at and can’t get in trouble.
      How many girls in the state does this apply to, the top 30? If so the top 150 players looking to play in college would commit junior year, right?

Comment

As a parent of two boys can I say how grateful I am that the boys side is different than girls?. It is a much more rational process a full year or more after girls, yes even well into senior year (studs earlier of course ). It is much more in line with the regular college process and student maturity. I can't imagine my boys as 8th or 9th graders evaluating what they want in a college. You would think with fewer spots and less money boys would be like the girls. Instead with more spots and more money you girls' parents act like your kid will never stand a chance and it gets pushed earlier and earlier. You are a part the problem - look at the posts inciting fear

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          How many girls in the state does this apply to, the top 30? If so the top 150 players looking to play in college would commit junior year, right?
          More than 30 I would guess. The hard part is matching soccer interest with what your daughter wants for college.

Comment

More than 30 I would guess. The hard part is matching soccer interest with what your daughter wants for college.
            Correction. A lot commit junior year, too. The top players tend to commit verbally earlier, but junior year is definitely not too late.

Comment

Correction. A lot commit junior year, too. The top players tend to commit verbally earlier, but junior year is definitely not too late.
              Yet there are posters on this site that will tell you if it's not done by beginning of sophomore year it's too late. Have your kid recruit when he or she is ready

Comment

Well, it is and it isn’t too late. I agree that committting junior year is theoretically a better year to commit because the girl is older and might have a better understanding of what she wants in college.

But the reality is that if a player passes up an opportunity to commit to a D1 program the college coaches simply move on to a different girl. Lots of roster spots get locked up during sophomore year, like it or not. By the time spring of junior year rolls around, most D1 recruiting classes are filled out and there is no money left. It’s just what happens. Not saying it’s right.

Comment

Yet there are posters on this site that will tell you if it's not done by beginning of sophomore year it's too late. Have your kid recruit when he or she is ready
                  It isn’t although it gets harder to play D1. On the boys side, kids put a lot of time in looking at D1 programs and when those didn’t work out, D3 opportunities emerged. And that happens the summer before senior year.

Comment

Well, it is and it isn’t too late. I agree that committting junior year is theoretically a better year to commit because the girl is older and might have a better understanding of what she wants in college.

But the reality is that if a player passes up an opportunity to commit to a D1 program the college coaches simply move on to a different girl. Lots of roster spots get locked up during sophomore year, like it or not. By the time spring of junior year rolls around, most D1 recruiting classes are filled out and there is no money left. It’s just what happens. Not saying it’s right.
                    Some families can afford full boat and care less about athletic $ but rather academic choices. If their kid gets the last spot on a roster but it's a great school, they don't care if it came in 8th grade or junior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistere
                      Some families can afford full boat and care less about athletic $ but rather academic choices. If their kid gets the last spot on a roster but it's a great school, they don't care if it came in 8th grade or junior year.
                      That could be true, but I assume your daughter wants to play. The last spot on a roster isn’t going to make that very likely. They might be more interested in your wallet.

Comment

It isn’t although it gets harder to play D1. On the boys side, kids put a lot of time in looking at D1 programs and when those didn’t work out, D3 opportunities emerged. And that happens the summer before senior year.
                        Many kids of both genders also legit change their mind about doing D1. Many are ill informed when they start the process about what the commitment means (even D3 is a commitment, just less so). Once they start talking with coaches and college players the luster of D1 can lose its shine for some. They decide they don't want the grind, the limited social life, difficulty doing certain majors or study abroad. Some very talented athletes are putting academic fit over athletics. I'd posit that a mid-term junior has a better chance of figuring that out than a freshman 2 months into high school.

Comment

That could be true, but I assume your daughter wants to play. The last spot on a roster isn’t going to make that very likely. They might be more interested in your wallet.
                          I was thinking something different. Are you sure the coach wants her? Some have an inflated view of what their kids can do on a college team.

Comment

Many kids of both genders also legit change their mind about doing D1. Many are ill informed when they start the process about what the commitment means (even D3 is a commitment, just less so). Once they start talking with coaches and college players the luster of D1 can lose its shine for some. They decide they don't want the grind, the limited social life, difficulty doing certain majors or study abroad. Some very talented athletes are putting academic fit over athletics. I'd posit that a mid-term junior has a better chance of figuring that out than a freshman 2 months into high school.
                            If you are thinking about a top academic D3, this I’d untrue. If Princeton had been interested in him, he wouldn’t be going to Williams, Amherst, or even Colby or Bowdoin.

Comment

Another thing to consider is that coaches give much longer looks and consideration to those freshmen that are getting the bulk of their scholarship budget. Last kids on the roster with a small investment of soccer money tend to be practice players with little or no chance of playing.

Comment

Another thing to consider is that coaches give much longer looks and consideration to those freshmen that are getting the bulk of their scholarship budget. Last kids on the roster with a small investment of soccer money tend to be practice players with little or no chance of playing.
                                some kids and families are ok with that because it's more about the school, not the soccer

Kids get injured too at really bad times. Doesn't mean they aren't talented but a serious injury takes them out of the circuit for a long time and they can miss key windows. Happened to my D's best friend. She did get recruited to a solid program but with very little money initially, then the coach gave her more once she proved herself. Some college programs are doing that with men's recruiting - basically nothing as a frosh, then if you prove yourself you'll get $. Very smart by the coaches because they'll get players who really want the program and school and aren't just taking it because of money. They also get to see who is left standing after year 1 (some will quit, some won't cut it). Transfer players can also get decent packages IF they've been successful as freshman players (if you don't get much PT then you will not). Easier to get admitted too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X