Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honestly, i didn't realize I needed to spell it out.
    Clubs do reach out to college coaches and nurture Impact Players. It is not just blind promotion. They know what kind of player that coach likes. importance of grades, and potential fit for families. Its a brokering role and credibility is important. Which is why..
    Club Coaches remind most of us that it is our responsibility to connect with schools, send email, etc. They simply can't do much to promote a player targeting too high.

As another poster just pointed out, beyond the top 10% what recruiting is going on? Yes there are coaches encouraging girls to come to their school, but they aren't offering anything - maybe an early read.

The short answer: You shouldn't expect a club coach to do much wore then forward emails and offer guidance on leads that you generate
    Wow are you off in left field. There is way more to this than just an early read. That’s what D3 coaches have to offer. It’s a much different game wit D1 & D2. You should be able to expect your club coach to help you accurately target the proper level and make an initial contact. For the tens of thousands that families are now investing in club soccer that is the minimum they should expect. It is a two way street though. The families then need to be realistic and follow the path that is laid out if they want the coaches help.

Comment

Given the number of players in MA, only the top 1% each year get recruited and for D1 with serious $ it is the top 0.1%
      On the girls side. There are about 50-75 girls getting serious (50%+) D1/D2 money. That number is significantly lower on the boys side because of the lower scholarship numbers and lower funding levels.

Comment

All depends on who you're including in the recruiting circle - ECNL and DA 90-100%. NPL 50--70%. Other competitive league <20%. All else: nearly 0. If the person asking about club assistance is with a club that doles out lots of recruiting tips and seems to be helping at least some of its players then chances are he's at least with a NPL club, maybe even higher. If they're offering recruiting information then they are creating a reasonable expectation of assistance with recruiting. Players not being helped might not be top caliber and on a later time table then the top players - in other words the club may have been helping them first then will move to help the rest. Just because those players aren't top players doesn't mean they can't be recruited. Like someone said it's about appropriate targeting. That means a club should do more than just hand out a pamphlet called "How to get recruited." They need to talk with each family about what types of program to target.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          All depends on who you're including in the recruiting circle - ECNL and DA 90-100%. NPL 50--70%. Other competitive league <20%. All else: nearly 0. If the person asking about club assistance is with a club that doles out lots of recruiting tips and seems to be helping at least some of its players then chances are he's at least with a NPL club, maybe even higher. If they're offering recruiting information then they are creating a reasonable expectation of assistance with recruiting. Players not being helped might not be top caliber and on a later time table then the top players - in other words the club may have been helping them first then will move to help the rest. Just because those players aren't top players doesn't mean they can't be recruited. Like someone said it's about appropriate targeting. That means a club should do more than just hand out a pamphlet called "How to get recruited." They need to talk with each family about what types of program to target.
          Dead on. And the clubs that know what they are doing do exactly this. They look at a kid's extensive list and point out what is realistic, what is a stretch, what is below their ability.

Comment

Do most of these discussions happen sophomore year? My daughter is a young 03, class of 2022. Do coaches have these discussions with players who are primarily sophmores?

Comment

Do most of these discussions happen sophomore year? My daughter is a young 03, class of 2022. Do coaches have these discussions with players who are primarily sophmores?
              Not any more. The rules changed, and coaches cannot have recruiting conversations before September 1 junior year. Some kids committed before the rule change, and those kids are often freshmen or, more often, sophomores.

Comment

Not any more. The rules changed, and coaches cannot have recruiting conversations before September 1 junior year. Some kids committed before the rule change, and those kids are often freshmen or, more often, sophomores.
                Sure they can. They just cannot initiate the discussions. But a kid can still reach out to the coach first, and a coach can come watch them play, and they can still have a verbal commitment in place long before the new junior year deadline.

Comment

The new rule applies to during ID events only and only start this summer. Other conversations can take place at any time, as long as the player initiates the conversation. In other words, nothing has changed noir will it as long as there are loopholes

Comment

Sure they can. They just cannot initiate the discussions. But a kid can still reach out to the coach first, and a coach can come watch them play, and they can still have a verbal commitment in place long before the new junior year deadline.
                    Interesting. I didn't realize that. I am not sure how you can make a verbal commitment without a recruiting conversation, but, as another poster said, the new rules are pretty loose.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I am not sure how you can make a verbal commitment without a recruiting conversation, but, as another poster said, the new rules are pretty loose.
                      Its the same old rules and they're still loose as a goose. The only thing different is 1) no recruiting talk during ID events until Sept 1 junior year. But the player could literally call the coach 5 minutes after and discuss recruiting. The coach cannot call a player until Sept 1 junior year. 2) Official visits can now happen junior year instead of senior year, which goes against the effort to curb early recruiting.

Comment

My view of the basic framework of getting an offer prior to Sept 1, junior year:
                        1. do some homework about where your D might stack up within her recruiting class (e.g., top 50 player in the region? top 20 player locally at her position? top 5 player on a good NPL team, etc.). Realism helps.
                        2. do some homework on where this level of player ends up in college (e.g., contributor on a Big East, America East or AAC team? Reserve player on a Patriot League team? Starter in NE conf.?, etc.). Recommend looking at the roster bios of teams at the top middle and bottom of the conferences and matching them up with your daughter's resume.
                        3. construct target list that matches soccer level with academic interests and level
                        4. share target list with club coach and get confirmation that playing level assessment is accurate.
                        5. have D write to coaches and recruiting coordinators at target schools. Make sure that the communication includes soccer resume, schedule, and club coach's contact info. For us, it worked best a few weeks before large tournaments or showcases where the schools might be attending. Make sure your club coach is copied on the communication, so that he/she is not blindsided by a phone call from a recruiter.
                        6. interested coaches will contact the club coach to signal interest and invite a phone call. In one instance, we got a text from the club coach with the college coach's cell phone # and a request to call him 15 minutes after the email went out.
                        7. player calls coach(es) and dialogue begins. Calls from player can happen routinely until an offer is made, interest wanes, etc.

Obviously, there are other ways to start or shorten this process. If your club coach happens to be best buddies with one of your target schools, or there's a kid from your club currently starring for that team, etc. the process could be much shorter.

My point is - if you do your homework and are realistic - your D can get the right offer well before Junior year without breaking any rules.

Comment

My daughter is playing in college now. High school class of 2016. When she was in club soccer these discussions happened during the 8th grade year. I would imagine now that the timeline has advanced even earlier than when she was doing this that they now start in the 7th grade year and get revisited annually. At least that is what I would hope and expect.

Comment

I think your daughter’s situation is rare.

Comment

I think your daughter’s situation is rare.
                              The whole team started the process together

Comment

The whole team started the process together
                                Right... the whole team together? The seniors, juniors, sophomores, etc. together, all at the same club ... right ...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X