Clear All

non DA teams funding DA teams

Costs:
    Head Coaching ($20k)
    Asst Coaching (9k)
    Field use ($10,000) yes even when you OWN you owe a piece to the note
    Admin ($1,500)
    Equipment ($1,000)
    USDA payment for league management ($2,500)
    Winter programming ($5,000, leagues, tournaments, futsal, indoor space)
    Insurance/US Club Cards ($100)

Cost per team about $49,100

cost per player = $3,600
    18 rostered players
    less 4-5 scholarships per team (could be 1/2, could be full)
    = 13.5 paying rostered players
    =$48,600

Just math.

Its all break even at best. And none of the younger teams pay for DA teams, they operate exactly the SAME. They require coaching, fields, everything stated above. Replace USDA fee with respective league fees. Younger teams play more tournaments also.

But what you get at NYSC, is an extra day of practice each week than their competitors, better coaching (granted that is a 'view') a home field/campus, an INDOOR facility with professional futsal courts AND turf field, all in a very nice campus at Manhattanville College which is meticulously maintained. You're not driving into some sketch back alley in some crappy neighborhood to find a hidden structure with an aged turf field and hockey walls.

Comment

NYSC Scholarships

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Wow seriously? NYSC doesn’t give scholarships to players who can’t afford to play if they are not on the DA team? I’ve never heard of a club that would do that. Our town travel club even offers scholarships to kids who can’t afford it. If this is true, NYSC should be ashamed.
      OF COURSE NYSC gives scholarships to all ages, DA or not. Its just silly to think otherwise. I got a 1/2 scholarship last year for 1 boy and 1 girl, both on non DA teams.

Comment

OF COURSE NYSC gives scholarships to all ages, DA or not. Its just silly to think otherwise. I got a 1/2 scholarship last year for 1 boy and 1 girl, both on non DA teams.
        Where do the funds come from for the scholarships? Is it fundraising, sponsors, other families in the club, or something else?

Comment

I have heard secondhand that NYSC is seeking to eliminate all DA fees over the next 5-10 years - do not know it to be true but if so would support the argument that all other components of their program subsidize DA. They obviously have good patronage (see new year-round field installation) but no way that sort of $$ could come out of an endowment versus operating funds.

Comment

Scholarship

I have heard secondhand that NYSC is seeking to eliminate all DA fees over the next 5-10 years - do not know it to be true but if so would support the argument that all other components of their program subsidize DA. They obviously have good patronage (see new year-round field installation) but no way that sort of $$ could come out of an endowment versus operating funds.
            Creating an endowment, which is a perpetual scholarship. Yes that is is true, and in 10 years there will be no pay to play.

Comment

NYSC Scholarships

Where do the funds come from for the scholarships? Is it fundraising, sponsors, other families in the club, or something else?
              Fundraising
              Sponsors
              Board of Directors
              Field rentals (benefit of a 90,000 square foot indoor facility Dec-March)

Comment

Creating an endowment, which is a perpetual scholarship. Yes that is is true, and in 10 years there will be no pay to play.
                Those will be some good teams if that is true.

Comment

That is absolutely 100% not true.

I know because I got my bill for a BDA U-13 player last week. Your information is wrong, you are spreading false numbers.
                  Which part was wrong? The DA cost, the premier cost or both? Have a friend with a kid there on premier, and that number seems about right...

Comment

Which part was wrong? The DA cost, the premier cost or both? Have a friend with a kid there on premier, and that number seems about right...
                    "Seems about right" when you're not even a first hand person. You're what's wrong with TS - all gossip and second-hand knowledge rather than actual facts.

Comment

Those will be some good teams if that is true.
                      It can be done but won't be easy. Very few non MLS DA clubs are free to play but many have achieved fees that are very reasonable, as well as having a good number of scholarships. MLS clubs help subsidize their expenses with camps, RDS, running town programs etc. Also you can only get so much in donations for what really is an activity. If you have a limited et of dollars to donate each year, will you donate to a club vs a local charity that actually helps people? Free to play for all would be ideal but it simply isn't possible at most clubs, not without jacking up the prices on the non DA teams to an unreasonable level.

Comment

It can be done but won't be easy. Very few non MLS DA clubs are free to play but many have achieved fees that are very reasonable, as well as having a good number of scholarships. MLS clubs help subsidize their expenses with camps, RDS, running town programs etc. Also you can only get so much in donations for what really is an activity. If you have a limited et of dollars to donate each year, will you donate to a club vs a local charity that actually helps people? Free to play for all would be ideal but it simply isn't possible at most clubs, not without jacking up the prices on the non DA teams to an unreasonable level.
                        I just said those would be good teams if they could pull off an endowment to pay for them. If they cant, high level soccer will continue to be an activity mainly for well off kids. Both are fine. Playing high level club soccer is not a necessity of life.

Comment

"Seems about right" when you're not even a first hand person. You're what's wrong with TS - all gossip and second-hand knowledge rather than actual facts.
                          ???

I asked a follow-up to a comment that the other post was wrong. Saying it's wrong without explanation is exactly what you're accusing original guy of doing.

If I see an email with the cost of a program that makes it first-hand knowledge. The price is not exactly $3600, so $3600 is "about right."

Comment

???

I asked a follow-up to a comment that the other post was wrong. Saying it's wrong without explanation is exactly what you're accusing original guy of doing.

If I see an email with the cost of a program that makes it first-hand knowledge. The price is not exactly $3600, so $3600 is "about right."
                            What information do you want?

Comment

What information do you want?
                              Which statement was wrong - the premier teams are $3600, the Academy teams are ~$500 less or both?

Comment

Nysc

Which statement was wrong - the premier teams are $3600, the Academy teams are ~$500 less or both?
                                I can only tell you what I know for certain. And I know for certain that my DA child is paying $3,600 for B05DA

I can't say/speak for any other age group or team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X