Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not only do I agree, I will take it one step farther. These are future Thorns academy kids on this team. Kids who are taught at such a young age to obsess on results oriented soccer at the expense of development, whose parents start an entire thread on a chat board over what is one winning weekend (albeit in a strong tournament against very good teams) will fit right in on teams that call themselves elite and then enter rec tournaments on age and play in OYSA as an all star team against their former clubs. This is the future of girls soccer, brought to you by Thorns academy.
    First off.... We don't know who started the thread. Secondly, I do know this coach and trust me, the results are not more important than development. This team plays good soccer. They are small and technical. They do, like every top team, have bat sh!t crazy parents that the coach will have to deal with. i don't know who they played en route to winning this tourney but either way this is a very good accomplishment.
    W-T-F-C has made some unique changes with how they coach their kids. Practicing together in large pools following a weekly curriculum seems to be working. If say there is about 75% buy in on the changes that have been made.

Comment

That's nice, there is still going to be just a couple girls at best from that team that are going to be playing high caliber ball down the road and will ever have a shot at an elite program, or college or anything else at a high level.

All that matters is the individual development at this age and getting caught up in your team results and playing to win at 10-11 years old is a hindrance in the long run, rather than a help.

It is still a great result and I don't want to rain on the parade, those results are indicative of having some talented kids on the team. I just personally, after years of youth soccer, get a lot more excited about individual performances, like a 9 or 10 year old girl on some random team last year; who kept a ball from going out, juggled it at least 4-5 touches and sombreroed a defender, than I do about championships and trophies for teams.

There are probably a couple kids on this Timbers team that have that extra bit of magic, that can make the ball dance to their tune, parents and coaches probably tell them to quit showing off and pass the ball more or whatever, those are the kids that could play later on, those are the kids that matter, not the team.

Just one dudes opinion.
      After being involved in this sport for years as you have, I have a different opinion. It's the kids who can only dance with the ball that are the problems. They don't ever learn to actually play the game.

As to this 05 team, they are fun to watch!

Comment

After being involved in this sport for years as you have, I have a different opinion. It's the kids who can only dance with the ball that are the problems. They don't ever learn to actually play the game.

As to this 05 team, they are fun to watch!
        Watch while you can. Probably the last year for them before the 2 best players move across the river.

Comment

Watch while you can. Probably the last year for them before the 2 best players move across the river.
          And that's fine too. Can't keep the gang together forever. Or did you follow your friends to college too?

Comment

And that's fine too. Can't keep the gang together forever. Or did you follow your friends to college too?
            Lololololol

Comment

This post makes me sad.

I have an 02 daughter who at u9 her team played up and won everything (rec not club) most of the team moved on to club together the next year and added in a few other great athletes and again won everything at u10, moved to u11 and again pretty much won everything, the club and coach didn't want to travel out of state so we didn't but in state pretty much were top dog, u12 came and while we still were top 5 in the state other teams started catching up to our athletes. Our coach wasn't one to teach individual technical skills but stuck to team tactical stuff. U13 tryouts two of our players headed for greener more technical pastures and the rest fought their little hearts out to stay competitive while it became very obvious our girls were behind technically and while we won more than we lost still it was all by sheer heart and atletiscm and not by true soccer skills. Then came the birth year switch and now we have girls on 4 different teams and some that quit altogether.

All that to say, congrats on your big win, what a fun accomplishment, but don't ever lose sight of your individual kid should not be sacrficed for the good of the team and keep working in the technical. Team is great and there needs to be team but all of the team individuals need the same opportunities at that age.

Comment

This post makes me sad.

I have an 02 daughter who at u9 her team played up and won everything (rec not club) most of the team moved on to club together the next year and added in a few other great athletes and again won everything at u10, moved to u11 and again pretty much won everything, the club and coach didn't want to travel out of state so we didn't but in state pretty much were top dog, u12 came and while we still were top 5 in the state other teams started catching up to our athletes. Our coach wasn't one to teach individual technical skills but stuck to team tactical stuff. U13 tryouts two of our players headed for greener more technical pastures and the rest fought their little hearts out to stay competitive while it became very obvious our girls were behind technically and while we won more than we lost still it was all by sheer heart and atletiscm and not by true soccer skills. Then came the birth year switch and now we have girls on 4 different teams and some that quit altogether.

All that to say, congrats on your big win, what a fun accomplishment, but don't ever lose sight of your individual kid should not be sacrficed for the good of the team and keep working in the technical. Team is great and there needs to be team but all of the team individuals need the same opportunities at that age.
                Part of the individual skills is learning how to play the game with teammates. I think coaches often underplay the importance of teaching tactics. Tactics to me is decision making and communicating with your teammates. All the fancy moves are cool and important, but it's the quickness and accuracy of decisions that's going to separate you from all the other kids who play dribbling, not soccer.

Comment

This post makes me sad.

Been there with my daughter. She is u16 now and all I can say is being so results oriented at such a young age really skews their sense of the big picture. I think she is technically and tactically very balanced but she tends to see things very black or white. Wins are successes and losses are failures. And sometimes a loss is a great learning opportunity. If I could go back in time I would have yanked her off the win-obsessed team at a much earlier age. And for what it's worth this is why I am not a thorns academy supporter. They remind me of her old rec team - entering events they are clearly too good for, beating up on substandard opponents, and then proclaiming themselves the "best" because they beat teams who are nowhere near their skill level.

Not trying to pee on your Cheerios about winning crossfire. It's a good tournament and those are good wins. But it's one weekend and for what little worth anonymous chat room advice has, I strongly encourage you to always make her personal development, happiness and success your only priority.

Comment

My god you are talking about 10 & 11 year olds. What is wrong with you? Stop please. Please.
                    Yes, you guys need to walk away. Come back in high school.

Comment

The G05 Washington Timbers won the super division of the Nike Crossfire Challenge, beating Washington Premier and Crossfire Premier in the process. Of note Oregon Crossfire also reached the semifinals. So things are looking up for Oregon and SWW girls soccer. Noone could remember a SWW team winning this tournament in the top division.
                      Kind of refreshing to see the excitement.
                      I have older DDs and everything is so critical and negative.
                      Congrats to the girls!

Comment

My god you are talking about 10 & 11 year olds. What is wrong with you? Stop please. Please.
                        Dad! Please just stop. Don't start talking about your girls on here. It is ugly and nasty. Go away.

Comment

Well done to this group of kids. Its important to keep a level head and prespective.These are 10-11 year old girls. Enjoy the victory keep training hard and developing but dont get wrapped up in the results. Word of advice, stay off this forum it will destroy your team.

Comment

By G2005 it's all over. College coaches are looking 5 and 6 year olds. WNT scouts spend most of their time at with the 6 and 7 years olds.

Comment

It's so incredibly sad to see people bragging on here about 10 year olds. Please stop. Just stop. It's sad.

Comment

The G05 Washington Timbers won the super division of the Nike Crossfire Challenge, beating Washington Premier and Crossfire Premier in the process. Of note Oregon Crossfire also reached the semifinals. So things are looking up for Oregon and SWW girls soccer. Noone could remember a SWW team winning this tournament in the top division.
                                Remember that thunder? Girls did very well and it was very close. 2-2 won in PK.
                                But I have to echo lots of folks here. They are 10-11 year old little girls and keep things
                                in perspective. Lots of really sick minded parents here with their mean comments.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X