Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G05 Washington Timbers

The G05 Washington Timbers won the super division of the Nike Crossfire Challenge, beating Washington Premier and Crossfire Premier in the process. Of note Oregon Crossfire also reached the semifinals. So things are looking up for Oregon and SWW girls soccer. Noone could remember a SWW team winning this tournament in the top division.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The G05 Washington Timbers won the super division of the Nike Crossfire Challenge, beating Washington Premier and Crossfire Premier in the process. Of note Oregon Crossfire also reached the semifinals. So things are looking up for Oregon and SWW girls soccer. Noone could remember a SWW team winning this tournament in the top division.
    My god you are talking about 10 & 11 year olds. What is wrong with you? Stop please. Please.

Comment

My god you are talking about 10 & 11 year olds. What is wrong with you? Stop please. Please.
      The 2008 team that won the kiddie cup at balloon fest is looking fierce.

Comment

Half of those girls will move to clubs across the river within 2 years. Always happens.

Comment

The 2008 team that won the kiddie cup at balloon fest is looking fierce.
          College scouts are focusing most of their energy on the 6-7 year old elite talent in hopes of locking them up before third grade. I've never seen anything like this.

Comment

Talking soccer

In fairness to the op, we normally have a lot more discussion with these younger teams than we have had with the 04 and 05 groups, maybe a side benefit of the age groups shifting.

Anyway op, there are at best two girls on that team that really matter and could be playing at a truly competitive level down the road, don't get caught up in meaningless team based metrics at this point.

Comment

College scouts are focusing most of their energy on the 6-7 year old elite talent in hopes of locking them up before third grade. I've never seen anything like this.
              There are some serious prospects on the 2010 girls squad. Not sure if they have national championship in them, but spectacular none the less.

Comment

In fairness to the op, we normally have a lot more discussion with these younger teams than we have had with the 04 and 05 groups, maybe a side benefit of the age groups shifting.

Anyway op, there are at best two girls on that team that really matter and could be playing at a truly competitive level down the road, don't get caught up in meaningless team based metrics at this point.
                Three of them are '06's

Comment

That is a great result!

I think the 04s struggled in OYSA last year, but had seen their 05s play and really liked what they were doing. Have no idea where their players ended up with calendar year, but liked the base they were establishing. If the got some of the 04 Pacific girls they will be quite some strong.

Comment

Truth. By age 10 they have verbal college agreements.

Comment

Three of them are '06's
                      That's nice, there is still going to be just a couple girls at best from that team that are going to be playing high caliber ball down the road and will ever have a shot at an elite program, or college or anything else at a high level.

All that matters is the individual development at this age and getting caught up in your team results and playing to win at 10-11 years old is a hindrance in the long run, rather than a help.

It is still a great result and I don't want to rain on the parade, those results are indicative of having some talented kids on the team. I just personally, after years of youth soccer, get a lot more excited about individual performances, like a 9 or 10 year old girl on some random team last year; who kept a ball from going out, juggled it at least 4-5 touches and sombreroed a defender, than I do about championships and trophies for teams.

There are probably a couple kids on this Timbers team that have that extra bit of magic, that can make the ball dance to their tune, parents and coaches probably tell them to quit showing off and pass the ball more or whatever, those are the kids that could play later on, those are the kids that matter, not the team.

Just one dudes opinion.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1867258]The G05 Washington Timbers won the super division of the Nike Crossfire Challenge, beating Washington Premier and Crossfire Premier in the process. Of note Oregon Crossfire also reached the semifinals. So things are looking up for Oregon and SWW girls soccer. Noone could remember a SWW team winning this tournament in the top division.[/QUO

Cool that they won but know one cares. In another 4-years you might be lucky if you still have player's from this team still playing togeather.

Comment

It's smart business. You don't want to go any lower in age. Any younger than 6 years old and you can't see the potential for collegiate success.

Comment

It's smart business. You don't want to go any lower in age. Any younger than 6 years old and you can't see the potential for collegiate success.
                            If a scout hasn't bagged his/her limit by 8 years old they aren't doing their job. Get a verbal commit. Give the parents $5k cash and tell them there's more where that came from. Introduce kid & parent to wealthy boosters. Offer the dad a lucrative job on the coaching staff, and bam! You're done.

Sit back, spend the rest of your scouting travel budget and falsified travel docs on trips to Vegas and your good as gold.

Comment

That's nice, there is still going to be just a couple girls at best from that team that are going to be playing high caliber ball down the road and will ever have a shot at an elite program, or college or anything else at a high level.

All that matters is the individual development at this age and getting caught up in your team results and playing to win at 10-11 years old is a hindrance in the long run, rather than a help.

It is still a great result and I don't want to rain on the parade, those results are indicative of having some talented kids on the team. I just personally, after years of youth soccer, get a lot more excited about individual performances, like a 9 or 10 year old girl on some random team last year; who kept a ball from going out, juggled it at least 4-5 touches and sombreroed a defender, than I do about championships and trophies for teams.

There are probably a couple kids on this Timbers team that have that extra bit of magic, that can make the ball dance to their tune, parents and coaches probably tell them to quit showing off and pass the ball more or whatever, those are the kids that could play later on, those are the kids that matter, not the team.

Just one dudes opinion.
                              Not only do I agree, I will take it one step farther. These are future Thorns academy kids on this team. Kids who are taught at such a young age to obsess on results oriented soccer at the expense of development, whose parents start an entire thread on a chat board over what is one winning weekend (albeit in a strong tournament against very good teams) will fit right in on teams that call themselves elite and then enter rec tournaments on age and play in OYSA as an all star team against their former clubs. This is the future of girls soccer, brought to you by Thorns academy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X