Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You clowns and these donkey conversations you have are so entertaining. In 3-4 years the GDA will be the top league, period. All of those players will be highly recruited to college programs and a very small percentage will see some national team duty at the youth or full senior team level. Same thing as you have with ECNL right now. The power structure is just being shifted.
    OP here.
    I'm not saying the GDA won't be the top league. I'm merely questioning if it's going to be able to hold onto it's older players.
    The way it's set up it's ripe for a major decline in enrollment at U18 (& some at U17) as these players realize that they have their college commitments locked up and they don't need the GDA restrictions ruling their lives.
    They haven't made it onto any YNT/WNT squads and they might just want some of their teenage year(s) back.
    The younger age groups will be busy trying to make a name for themselves but the older group may just wise up to the reality of it all and focus on their last couple of years of HS and all that that entails.
    If the ECNL remains viable it may just be the platform that the "olders" flock to.

I'm not convinced that the GDA is a viable format for the majority of the older players.
    I think they've overestimated they're allure to this age group.

Comment

OP again:
      Not to mention that the parents who are footing the bill will wise up and realize they don't need to keep up that pace or dollar investment for their DD. They've gotten them as far as their going to go -- college --- and now focus on that. The GDA isn't necessary at this point and a more reasonable time commitment and expenditure might be just the ticket.

Comment

I can only comment on my perspective having older kids. One year apart.
        My DS would give up (and does) so much for his sport. Very focused and willing to sacrifice.
        My DD is a better athlete and better grades. Much more cerebral and analytical.
        Her focus is #1) College / Degree / Career and #2) playing soccer.
        There is no way she's giving up 4 days a week to practice and no way she's giving up her last year in HS sports.
        So only an "n" of one. But an emphatic no thank you. She would potentially be a GDA candidate but not at the "expense", both time and money.

Comment

My DS would give up (and does) so much for his sport. Very focused and willing to sacrifice.
          There is no way she's giving up 4 days a week to practice and no way she's giving up her last year in HS sports.
          So only an "n" of one. But an emphatic no thank you. She would potentially be a GDA candidate but not at the "expense", both time and money.
          The truly elite girls will have offers by the time they would be trying out for GDA. So for them the only appeal of GDA is if the competition level will get them ready for college. Time will tell in that regard.

The majority of 17's and 18's who do GDA, at least the first year, will be second tier. That is a really obvious fact. And I think it will happen nationwide.

If GDA survives its first two years that older pool will be just fine. Again, time will tell.

Comment

The truly elite girls will have offers by the time they would be trying out for GDA. So for them the only appeal of GDA is if the competition level will get them ready for college. Time will tell in that regard.

The majority of 17's and 18's who do GDA, at least the first year, will be second tier. That is a really obvious fact. And I think it will happen nationwide.

If GDA survives its first two years that older pool will be just fine. Again, time will tell.
            Agree 100% with this post.

Comment

If soccer isn't her first priority--probably GDA isn't the right place for her. And that's OK! This is not a criticism of either her or her choices on where to play. Many kids love the game, and want to play it at a high level, but don't want to dedicate their lives to it; such kids need a place where they fit.

The DAs, OTOH, are for those kids (like your son, perhaps), who are 100% committed to the sport; who love to train, and for whom soccer is their first priority in life.

One problem, though--generally, D1 soccer programs are looking for kids who are 100% dedicated. In D1, the "student athlete" tends to be a myth (this is true of any D1 scholarship sport), and the time required for participation tends to leave little time for academics. If her focus is on College/Degree/Career, I'm not sure playing NCAA soccer is the best choice for her. If she is interested in college soccer not because of soccer being her first priority, but instead because she wants to pay for college that way--she'd be better off getting a part-time job, and/or saving up money currently spent on club fees and travel for tuition. D1 sports is professional sports (without the money).

Comment

If soccer isn't her first priority--probably GDA isn't the right place for her. And that's OK! This is not a criticism of either her or her choices on where to play. Many kids love the game, and want to play it at a high level, but don't want to dedicate their lives to it; such kids need a place where they fit.

The DAs, OTOH, are for those kids (like your son, perhaps), who are 100% committed to the sport; who love to train, and for whom soccer is their first priority in life.

One problem, though--generally, D1 soccer programs are looking for kids who are 100% dedicated. In D1, the "student athlete" tends to be a myth (this is true of any D1 scholarship sport), and the time required for participation tends to leave little time for academics. If her focus is on College/Degree/Career, I'm not sure playing NCAA soccer is the best choice for her. If she is interested in college soccer not because of soccer being her first priority, but instead because she wants to pay for college that way--she'd be better off getting a part-time job, and/or saving up money currently spent on club fees and travel for tuition. D1 sports is professional sports (without the money).
                In Oregon, girls that are truly 100% committed to soccer represent about 1-2 kids per age group each year - maybe. Certainly not the 20-25 needed to staff a GDA team.

Comment

D1 schools only something like 14 total scholarships to give. So merit scholarships pay the way.

"CORVALLIS – Eight Oregon State women's soccer players have earned Pac-12 All-Academic honors, the conference office announced today.

The group is headlined by First Team All-Academic selection Bella Geist, who has recorded a 3.95 GPA as a Biology major, while also serving as the Beavers' starting goalie. Geist has already begun her ascent up the Oregon State record books, ending her sophomore campaign fourth in school history with 211 career saves. The sophomore made 18 starts on the season, and held five clean sheets.

Junior Annie Govig was named to the All-Academic Second Team, checking in with a 3.76 GPA as a Sports and Exercise Science major. Govig has been a fixture of the Beavers' lineup over the last three seasons, and started every match that she played this year. The Sherwood, Ore. native earned Academic Honorable Mention last season, before moving up to second-team honors this year.

Senior Gwen Bieck, junior Sabrina Santarossa, and sophomores Nikki Faris, Natalie Higgins, Kayla Latham and Emmy Rodriguez all earned Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention. This is the third such honor for Bieck, a Human Development major, who received the award each year she was eligible. The senior had a distinguished Oregon State career, making a total of 76 starts over the course of her four-year tenure.

Santarossa, a psychology major, has helped patrol the midfield for Oregon State over the last three seasons, and has notched one goal and one assist in her career. Faris (Exploratory Studeis) ended the 2015 season with six points on two goals and two assists. Higgins (Exploratory Studies) scored her first career goal this season, while also distributing two assists. Latham (Exercise and Sports Science) has recorded three goals in her career, while Rodriguez (Pre-Business) was a force for the Beaver back-line this season, playing both in a centerback and fullback role."

The scholar-athlete is alive and well.

Comment

Many kids love the game, and want to play it at a high level, but don't want to dedicate their lives to it; such kids need a place where they fit.
                    I believe there are many D1 programs that fit this narrative. To be honest you've just described the vast majority of college players, D1 included.

Comment

That's why GDA doesn't apply to the older kids. It's the 2003s and youngers they will focus on.

Comment

That's why GDA doesn't apply to the older kids. It's the 2003s and youngers they will focus on.
                        I think you're correct. However, The youngers will be 17/18 some day and hence the subject title:
                        GDA a tough sell for U17 / U18s.

Comment

Relax. Tryouts are next Spring. Kids will show or not show. Do it if your kid wants to tryout. Don't do it if they do not want to try out. Why worry about it for a whole year?

Comment

The question: Will the US Soccer Girls Development Academy even be relevant at the U17/U18 age level for the vast majority of the players?

If the target audience for the US Soccer GDA is the elite level player that they are identifying and developing for YNTs and WNT what's in it for the 17/18 year old player that hasn't been selected for national team duty?

-If so very few of the pool are selected for YNT/WNT duty - less than 1% - why would the other 99% stick around?
                            -If a players goal is to play in college and they're not YNT/WNT quality why would they stick around?
                            -If a player is committed to a college and they're not a YNT/WNT prospect why would they stick around?
                            -If a player is not YNT/WNT quality and they want to play for their HS and community why would they stick around?
                            -If a player is not YNT/WNT quality why would a parent continue to fund their DDs GDA expense?

There's a huge potential that the U17/18 GDA could see a mass exit (especially at U18) once players realize that they are not YNT/WNT quality and they have other priorities that they value more.
                            The ECNL has recognized some of these issues and has "lightened" the load for the older player. Less expense as they are only required to play in one national show case and league games. Roughly a 50% reduction in cost as compared to U16 and U17 age groups.
                            It will be interesting to see if the older age group, 99%+, sees the value of the GDA.
                            We'll have to wait a few years to find out ... but looking at how things have played out historically ... the GDA is going to have slim pickings at the older ages given their restrictive requirements.
                            By the time the GDA starts, the U17's will be 2001's. I agree with your rationale that girls in U17/18/19 have little reason to even consider the GDA. So that rules out the 2001-1999 group.

On top of that, anyone that isn't in HS this fall (2016) will not be allowed to play HS soccer at all if they are in the GDA. So that rules out the 2003 and younger crowd.

What you're left with is the 2002's who can do the GDA and still play HS soccer. But only if the Thorns allow them to. And they can't participate in any GDA training or games during the HS season, so they'll miss 30-40% of the GDA "year". That's enough to bump them out of the starting XI for sure and maybe even off the travel roster. Not to mention that the Thorns are obligated to field competitive teams (I know, that's a stretch) for all GDA games, even the one's played during the HS season. So the Thorns will be in no position to allow any of their top 18-20 players leave for the HS season.

At the end of the day, the only girls who can do GDA and play HS soccer are the 2002's that are outside the top 20 on the roster. Sounds like Thorns will have an extremely difficult time attracting any top players for their GDA teams. Might be so bad that they actually get kicked out of the GDA after a year or two...

Comment

By the time the GDA starts, the U17's will be 2001's. I agree with your rationale that girls in U17/18/19 have little reason to even consider the GDA. So that rules out the 2001-1999 group.

On top of that, anyone that isn't in HS this fall (2016) will not be allowed to play HS soccer at all if they are in the GDA. So that rules out the 2003 and younger crowd.

What you're left with is the 2002's who can do the GDA and still play HS soccer. But only if the Thorns allow them to. And they can't participate in any GDA training or games during the HS season, so they'll miss 30-40% of the GDA "year". That's enough to bump them out of the starting XI for sure and maybe even off the travel roster. Not to mention that the Thorns are obligated to field competitive teams (I know, that's a stretch) for all GDA games, even the one's played during the HS season. So the Thorns will be in no position to allow any of their top 18-20 players leave for the HS season.

At the end of the day, the only girls who can do GDA and play HS soccer are the 2002's that are outside the top 20 on the roster. Sounds like Thorns will have an extremely difficult time attracting any top players for their GDA teams. Might be so bad that they actually get kicked out of the GDA after a year or two...
                              Since this is the kind of post that can kill a thread. Can we get back to Talking-Soccer?

Comment

Since this is the kind of post that can kill a thread. Can we get back to Talking-Soccer?
                                No it's better this way.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X