Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girls DA = $10,000/yr & NO high school sports???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They caved on HS because they had no choice. But as discussed it's mostly in principal only. Clubs can say no as they desire, and many will say no. Those that do will likely only be for this first year to hook players in, then it will be gone. If you think your kid will be allowed to play this year or moving forward, I'd get it in writing with witness signatures. And when your kid comes back after Hs is over she better be ready to earn her PT - she'll have a great deal to prove.
    None of this matters - Thorns Academy GDA will never get off the ground.

Comment

I have seen her talk about it.

Reminds me of when my college crew called and invited me on a 30 yr reunion road trip to end all road trips, destination Tijuana. My wife gave me "the look" and said "Fine. You can go if you really want."

No guesswork involved. I didn't go. Our couch is great for watching tv but not for sleeping.
      Mark my words. The high school option is purely smoke and mirrors. If you are a top play do not expect to play high school sports.

Comment

Mark my words. The high school option is purely smoke and mirrors. If you are a top play do not expect to play high school sports.
        Top players do ECNL and HS anyway. It's only the JV pine riders that do Thorns Academy so they don't have to worry - the don't play much either way.

Comment

Just wait and try to play high school sports. Not going to happen.

Comment

Just wait and try to play high school sports. Not going to happen.
            DA's entire purpose is to find & develop national team players. National team players don't have time to play basketball.

Comment

DA's entire purpose is to find & develop national team players. National team players don't have time to play basketball.
              Didn't most of the current national team players play multiple sports in high school?

Comment

GDA is for the serious elite soccer-only athlete. Other countries have caught up. Time for the US to get serious about girls soccer. Only those willing & able to pledge 100% to soccer need apply.

Comment

Didn't most of the current national team players play multiple sports in high school?
                  Yes but that was then this is now. If you aren't willing to go all in you aren't welcome. Look at how unhappy the women's national team players are. That's probably because they played high school sports.

Comment

Yes but that was then this is now. If you aren't willing to go all in you aren't welcome. Look at how unhappy the women's national team players are. That's probably because they played high school sports.
                    How many of them have been arrested for boozing? They probably learned that in high school.

Maybe that's why they call it "high" school. If you prohibit high school maybe they won't drink alcohol.

Comment

GDA is for the serious elite soccer-only athlete. Other countries have caught up. Time for the US to get serious about girls soccer. Only those willing & able to pledge 100% to soccer need apply.
                      Bingo. Academy is about 100% about making better national teams. This isn't about your little Suzie getting to do social HS soccer & other activities. No secret about where the Academy train is headed. Don't get on board, if you don't like the destination. The serious elite soccer players understand & wont be deterred.

Comment

Bingo. Academy is about 100% about making better national teams. This isn't about your little Suzie getting to do social HS soccer & other activities. No secret about where the Academy train is headed. Don't get on board, if you don't like the destination. The serious elite soccer players understand & wont be deterred.
                        Too bad Thorns Academy has never been able to attract any elite players - and never will.

Comment

Too bad Thorns Academy has never been able to attract any elite players - and never will.
                          Because Oregon has only one or two truly elite soccer players per 20 or 30 years. Most of the rest of of top players are smart enough to put college over soccer. It is not really a bad reflection on Thorns Academy.

Comment

How many of them have been arrested for boozing? They probably learned that in high school.

Maybe that's why they call it "high" school. If you prohibit high school maybe they won't drink alcohol.
                            If you keep the kids doing intense sports 6 days a week and prohibit them from high school sports and dances then you can keep a better handle on their behaviors. Too much temptation at school dances and bus rides to away games to engage in morally questionable things.

Look at the bad actors on the women's nat team. If you kept them under tighter wraps the might not hit the bottle or I think wambach admitted to dabbling in drugs.

Comment

If you keep the kids doing intense sports 6 days a week and prohibit them from high school sports and dances then you can keep a better handle on their behaviors. Too much temptation at school dances and bus rides to away games to engage in morally questionable things.

Look at the bad actors on the women's nat team. If you kept them under tighter wraps the might not hit the bottle or I think wambach admitted to dabbling in drugs.
                              Oh brother. You think doing sports 6 days a week will keep kids from partying? They'll have less time perhaps, but where there's a will there's a way. At many schools the athletes are some of teh biggest partiers across the whole student body. Teach your kid good decision making skills because playing keep away won't work once they go to college. In fact there they're more likely to go nuts.

Comment

You do realize those are adult women right? No 15 year olds not living at home. And of course athletes in no other sports party either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X