Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls DA travel is free???!!

Timbers Academy covers all travel costs. This is exciting if they do the same for girls. Only reason to do the Girls DA.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Timbers Academy covers all travel costs. This is exciting if they do the same for girls. Only reason to do the Girls DA.
    Wow. That's amazing. Gamer changer for sure.

Comment

Too bad it's not the way the GDA works. Parents will pay full costs - about $20K per year all-in.

Comment

Too bad it's not the way the GDA works. Parents will pay full costs - about $20K per year all-in.
        That's not what I heard. i heard from someone it was going to be free.

Comment

Yes. It's going to be paid for out of the massive profits made by the women's league. Because as we all know, the league is swimming in cash. That's why women's salaries are so high.

You guys are beyond stupid.

Comment

Merritt is a millionaire. He can cover it no problem.

Comment

Merritt is a millionaire. He can cover it no problem.
              He has to if he pays for boys to travel. It's only fair!

Comment

Yes. It's going to be paid for out of the massive profits made by the women's league. Because as we all know, the league is swimming in cash. That's why women's salaries are so high.

You guys are beyond stupid.
                Common sense huuuuurts!

Comment

Girls soccer is bad. Really really bad. No revenue comes at a price. Nothing is free. The product has to be worth it. Supply and demand. Not hard stuff here peeps.

Comment

He has to if he pays for boys to travel. It's only fair!
                    "Fair?" You foolish little Timbers minion. You actually think this will be "fair?"

Fact: Most women's professional teams are struggling to barely pay their players. If not for welfare from the US, Mexican and Canadian national teams, the league would be insolvent. You think they will be able to afford to pay for a minimum of 75 teams (3 teams per club times 25 clubs so far) to travel?

Fact: Women's professional teams don't even pay travel for their own practice players - these are players who actually play in games at time. And have to pay their own travel expenses to get to a professional game.

Fact: Women's professional players (aside from the national team darlings who rake in some endorsements) are so underpaid that they often can't afford apartments in their team's cities. Google "Jeff Van Gundy hosts women's soccer players" - the broadcaster and former NBA coach has opened his home to host pro players who can't afford to live in Houston otherwise. But there will be money to pay for 14 year old girls to travel?

Fact: The boys side is vastly different because MLS is actually making some money and can subsidize the boys. However, they can't do it to the degree needed. So....

FACT: The girls DA will be pay to play just like ECNL. With an extra premium built in to subsidize the boys side.

I'm sorry the facts are so inconvenient.

Comment

Cost

It cost 15-18k per player on the boys academy side. I would guess it would cost that much on the girls side as well. The timbers better come up with more money to pay for both otherwise why would people leave CU/FCP

Comment

It cost 15-18k per player on the boys academy side. I would guess it would cost that much on the girls side as well. The timbers better come up with more money to pay for both otherwise why would people leave CU/FCP
                        Cause they suck? Just sayin

Comment

First, you're smoking crack with that number.

DA clubs are pressured to lower fees but are not required to make it free presently (MLS clubs on the boys side have to). So fees at worst would be similar to ECNL, maybe a bit lower. Parents are still on the hook for travel unless the club were to help there as well. If GDA isn't as big as ECNL then travel will be worse but not $20K worse. Boys DA teams organize travel for teams (either by coach bus or group rates for flights) and players share rooms. That helps reduce travel costs a great deal. Parents are not encouraged to drive/travel with their kids. There is some scholarship funding with GDA, but spread across the system only 1-2 players per club would get substantial assistance.

I have many issues with GDA (like why are we doing it at all) but you need to stop with the absurd cost figures. It just isn't true.

Comment

"Fair?" You foolish little Timbers minion. You actually think this will be "fair?"

Fact: Most women's professional teams are struggling to barely pay their players. If not for welfare from the US, Mexican and Canadian national teams, the league would be insolvent. You think they will be able to afford to pay for a minimum of 75 teams (3 teams per club times 25 clubs so far) to travel?

Fact: Women's professional teams don't even pay travel for their own practice players - these are players who actually play in games at time. And have to pay their own travel expenses to get to a professional game.

Fact: Women's professional players (aside from the national team darlings who rake in some endorsements) are so underpaid that they often can't afford apartments in their team's cities. Google "Jeff Van Gundy hosts women's soccer players" - the broadcaster and former NBA coach has opened his home to host pro players who can't afford to live in Houston otherwise. But there will be money to pay for 14 year old girls to travel?

Fact: The boys side is vastly different because MLS is actually making some money and can subsidize the boys. However, they can't do it to the degree needed. So....

FACT: The girls DA will be pay to play just like ECNL. With an extra premium built in to subsidize the boys side.

I'm sorry the facts are so inconvenient.
                            Facts are irrelevant to Timbers Alliance minions.

Comment

Cause they suck? Just sayin
                              And Thorns Academy is better? Can't even win in OYSA...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X