Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Was the pcu team that won state cup a Spartans team?
    Yup.

http://501c3lookup.org/portland_spartans_fc/

http://www.pcusc.org/contact_us

Comment

You lost me at PCU ...
      EXACTLY. but one or two more people might stick around if they have one team that ISN"T terrible. (biggest underachievers in the state)

Comment

Good for Jeff, shows he's a smart guy. Invite em' in, make em' do all the work, then watch them slowly die off, then absorbing what's left.

I love remembering the idiots when this first started, saying how great this would be. After all that time, no league etc.. parents figured it out and have only successfully trashed years of their kids soccer.

Comment

Good for Jeff, shows he's a smart guy. Invite em' in, make em' do all the work, then watch them slowly die off, then absorbing what's left.

I love remembering the idiots when this first started, saying how great this would be. After all that time, no league etc.. parents figured it out and have only successfully trashed years of their kids soccer.
          Jeff's a good guy and a smart businessman. He's played here professionally and has been involved with Portland youth soccer well before most clubs existed in the area. He's always been honest about the clientele that PCU serves. With that said, PCU has had state cup champs and finalists.

I can see him being able to work with investors to offer up another option such as the Portland Spartans. Jeff always finds investors.He was able to get the Delta Park fields for PCU and then somehow, I'm sure he was able to get investors to help out with the Buckman Field Project.

As far as the choices of families involved, I only know of a two who didn't like their kids's playing time at their former clubs. They actually were doing private training with Spartans coaches after being contacted by one of the coaches. Those parents chose not to come back to last year's tryouts. Guess what? They came back this year. Not sure if they also tried out at Spartans. One made our team, the other made the Timbers DA wait list and didn't make his old club's team.

Comment

Spartans Buying French Club?

Looks like they might be doing better than the thread thinks

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...al-french-team

http://www.estac.fr/newsite/news/152...re-l-Estac.htm

Be interesting to see where this takes them

Comment

What's most impressive

Many articles state he owns the Portland Division 2 team, Didn't know we had an NASL (american d2) team in town. As the Timbers 2 teams is in the 3rd divsion USL.

Also interested to know about his local club that is 2000 youth members strong.

For a team that had a horrific season in League I in France a bit more due diligence about his background and claims in the press would of helped paint an accurate picture.

Comment

Looks like they might be doing better than the thread thinks

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...al-french-team

http://www.estac.fr/newsite/news/152...re-l-Estac.htm

Be interesting to see where this takes them
                It takes them no where. Unfortunately unless you have French citizenship the connection means nothing. You can say that they will get cirriculum but you have to have staff that can implement. Implementation is key and the Spartans do not have that.

Comment

Wish the best for Gary. He is a good dude, hope he can make it all happen and good on him for trying.

Comment

Wish the best for Gary. He is a good dude, hope he can make it all happen and good on him for trying.
                    Is he leaving behind 2000 strong youth players in the Spartans FC program as the articles all state?

In terms timing, of this investor group that is buying ESTAC Troyes (Allen is the new CEO) it's perfect, they can get the club on the cheap, they just finished bottom of the table in ligue I and can now concentrate on being relevant in ligue II. It sounds as if they have run out of operating capital and in dire need of a capital infusion, which from all reports this investor group has 'deep pockets' and is ready to spend.

Allen is an american businessman who has assembled from all indications a wealthy investor group to back the purchase.

It will be fun to keep an eye on this enterprise as it has a Portland area connection at the helm.

Comment

French Div 2 or MLS

Not sure how things will pan out but to the poster that said well its only French Div2 and the team got bashed in Div1. I still think that the soccer is better then anything the MLS has to offer.

Either way you cut it it has to be good for the youth program that the Spartans have and that got to be good for the area as a whole. Not sure how peole can put a negative spin on this but as always some one has and will continue too.

I think we should be looking at this as a great opportunity and another option to the TA and MLS way.

Looking forward to see what happens

Comment

Not sure how things will pan out but to the poster that said well its only French Div2 and the team got bashed in Div1. I still think that the soccer is better then anything the MLS has to offer.

Either way you cut it it has to be good for the youth program that the Spartans have and that got to be good for the area as a whole. Not sure how peole can put a negative spin on this but as always some one has and will continue too.

I think we should be looking at this as a great opportunity and another option to the TA and MLS way.

Looking forward to see what happens
                        I agree. I actually think that the 27 players that the Spartans have will benefit from this.

Comment

Has to be more then 27

I agree. I actually think that the 27 players that the Spartans have will benefit from this.
                          27 you say, well just to carry on your sarcastic theme they do say smaller classes are better to educate.

But back to reality I dont know how many kids they have but either way you look at it its a move in the right direction.

Anything that offers diversity away from the TA cookie cutter pattern has to be welcomed. All clubs are in it to brainwash parents about their kids. All the TA clubs do it the Spartans do it everyone one does so thats not a reason to put clubs down its just how the soccer picture is.

Im looking to see how another method of coaching works and if there will be opportunities for the better players? Or if its just fluff to bring in a crowd. Time will tell.

Comment

27 you say, well just to carry on your sarcastic theme they do say smaller classes are better to educate.

But back to reality I dont know how many kids they have but either way you look at it its a move in the right direction.

Anything that offers diversity away from the TA cookie cutter pattern has to be welcomed. All clubs are in it to brainwash parents about their kids. All the TA clubs do it the Spartans do it everyone one does so thats not a reason to put clubs down its just how the soccer picture is.

I'm looking to see how another method of coaching works and if there will be opportunities for the better players? Or if its just fluff to bring in a crowd. Time will tell.
                            Gleaning ideas from across the world in a global sport is really not that impressive, it's a requisite for participation. Sadly, unlike the rest of the globe our culture does not adore this sport and as such we have not formed our own identity in how we go about playing and teaching the game as Americans.

Until then we can only hope we create a distinctive brand of American Soccer with American players.

Meanwhile, outliers and salesman in our tiny pond of PDX promote fantastic stylistic play of Africans, South Americans and now the French? In an effort to edge into the american youth soccer classic club tapestry. These imitation methods have yet to resonate and are highly unlikely to manifest with the suburban anglo kids of the PDX area, imagine that.
                            It's like asking Larry Bird to play like Micheal Jordan. Good luck with that.

We have to create a method, system and style that resembles our culture and our unique and varied athletes, look at the Dutch, Germans and even Italians as countries that love the sport and have established their unique winning methodology and system of play that reflects their culture's values by highlighting their type of player's physical and intellectual strengths on the pitch.

Elements of all cultures should be considered and integrated into the emerging American style of play. Preaching and teaching the ideology of West African or Brazilian soccer is fine if you have players with the similar skill sets as Africans and South Americans. This elements should provide a little spice to the american game, nothing more nothing less.

Comment

America is too large to have just one style of play. The effort to have a style of play dictated from the top down and taught to all will surely fail and fail miserably. Necessity is the mother of invention: It's very necessary for the US to up it's game if we want to compete internationally therefore we need as many people as possible trying as many different things as possible to find what combinations work best for the types of players that play soccer here. Top down never works.

Comment

America is too large to have just one style of play. The effort to have a style of play dictated from the top down and taught to all will surely fail and fail miserably. Necessity is the mother of invention: It's very necessary for the US to up it's game if we want to compete internationally therefore we need as many people as possible trying as many different things as possible to find what combinations work best for the types of players that play soccer here. Top down never works.
                                Yet in this country - at least with respect to soccer - we continuously go back to the top down approach every time the federation pays a few million to this years' flavor of the month consultant.

At the state level, we have a number of folks who seem to be willing to give up there club identity and put full faith in the Timbers (and a state organization that has done the same) . . .

We need a system that allows a variety of styles and approaches to compete.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X