Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is always a great tournament. It is baffling to me why thorns wouldn't do it, but would choose Beaverton instead. Unless they are trying to stay away from ECNL and out of state teams. I'm not trying to be snarky - at all. But if you call yourself elite and the fledgling development academy takes you as one of their first 25 teams, it is confusing and not a good look to choose Beaverton when Crossfire is less than three hours away by car. The Vancouver result last night might explain it though.
    The GDA Portland Thorns will not form their (3) teams for almost a year from now.

It's really laughable that you associate the happenings of local girls in a local tournament with a GDA program that hasn't even hired coaches, picked players or have a match schedule from US Soccer to date.

Once the GDA Portland Thorns have a product for the GDA fire away. You're wasting quite a bit of attention on local girls that may not even be the type of players suited for the GDA platform. How come, what's bugging you so badly that these kids are the target of your hostility?

I'm sure that once the GDA Portland Thorns are established in the areast clubs like CU and FC PDX will benefit from friendly matches, scrimmages that will happen between the sides, as they do now between the DA Portland Timbers and many of our local clubs who aren't in the DA.

US Soccer doesn't have a year-long match schedule that is overwhelming in quantity for the DA program, this same outline is being used for the GDA in the future, so these type of friendly matches will be a great challenge and opportunity for the local club teams/girls to get exposure to the Development Academy level of play.

Win/Win.

Comment

I dint see FCP ECNL or crossfire ECNL in either of the Crossfire divisions. Gu16 super group is indeed a super group of teams that have been playing and practicing together for a while now. Gold division looks about the sAmerican as Beaverton cup. Why not throw in a local tournament for practice. Just like scrimmaging your B team....

Also if more of our local talent would enter into the local oregon tournaments we wouldn't have to pay so much to travel...
      I can't speak to why CU and FCP didn't do the crossfire challenge, although the CU teams are signed up for Surf Cup in a few weeks. Maybe it was too much travel in one summer month.

Regarding thorns doing the local tournament and it being like scrimmaging B teams, I respectfully disagree. The local tournaments are a big deal for B teams. They are their only opportunity to play out of area teams (even the local tournaments always manage to attract a team or two per age group from Washington or Cali), and B teams know they can show up and be competitive and maybe win. The players on these teams aren't going to win state cups or go to regionals or Surf. These local tournaments are it. So imagine how they feel when Thorns academy pops up in their bracket and they realize everyone is playing for second.

My last comment would be to use your imagination and think about what the response would be if CU or FCP put an ECNL team, on age, in Beaverton cup. If you don't think that's ok, then you cannot be ok with Thorns doing the same thing. Because according to everything we are hearing and what the Thorns parents are saying, their teams are just as good as the ECNL teams. So either you admit that Beaverton was a disgrace and a huge error in judgment by the Thorns powers that be...or you admit that the Thorns teams are playing at a level far below our in state ECNL teams. You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Take a look at the teams registered in Beaverton. There are many B and C teams in gold, which is typical in a bronze level tournament. The only surprise here is the knowledge that apparently thorns belong at that level. After all the hoo-ha about best team ever all they could manage was a 1-0 squeaker against a Vancouver team that went winless at their own tournament. So yeah, sounds like Beaverton was the perfect tournament for thorns after all.
        Level of play determined by the you? Who are you to determine bronze level?

If you want to go by GotSoccer, this tournament is "Silver" and some years it's "Gold".
        Ditto for Portland Cup and some of the other area tournaments. The Crossfire tournaments have varied as well. It depends on what teams enter, where they come from, and if lower-ranked teams beat higher-ranked teams, then your tournament's ranking goes up.

Quit being so petty. No one said that the Thorns were the best team ever.

The GDA has not happened yet. People keep trying to compare histories of ECNL and Thorns Academy teams, which BTW, didn't play each other, so no comparisons can be made for what will occur in the 2017/2018 seasons.

The 2016/2017 Thorns Academy is not the same entity as the GDA Thorns Program. Learn to read.

Comment

It is always a great tournament. It is baffling to me why thorns wouldn't do it, but would choose Beaverton instead. Unless they are trying to stay away from ECNL and out of state teams. I'm not trying to be snarky - at all. But if you call yourself elite and the fledgling development academy takes you as one of their first 25 teams, it is confusing and not a good look to choose Beaverton when Crossfire is less than three hours away by car. The Vancouver result last night might explain it though.
          I'm just speculating. The few that I know on the U16 Thorns team were at the ODP regional camp at the same time as Crossfire. I might be wrong.

I try to not put too much weight on which summer tournaments teams sign up for. There's a lot going on for players and coaches for that matter. Family reunions, weddings, vacations that were a long time in planning, etc.

Comment

I can't speak to why CU and FCP didn't do the crossfire challenge, although the CU teams are signed up for Surf Cup in a few weeks. Maybe it was too much travel in one summer month.

Regarding thorns doing the local tournament and it being like scrimmaging B teams, I respectfully disagree. The local tournaments are a big deal for B teams. They are their only opportunity to play out of area teams (even the local tournaments always manage to attract a team or two per age group from Washington or Cali), and B teams know they can show up and be competitive and maybe win. The players on these teams aren't going to win state cups or go to regionals or Surf. These local tournaments are it. So imagine how they feel when Thorns academy pops up in their bracket and they realize everyone is playing for second.

My last comment would be to use your imagination and think about what the response would be if CU or FCP put an ECNL team, on age, in Beaverton cup. If you don't think that's ok, then you cannot be ok with Thorns doing the same thing. Because according to everything we are hearing and what the Thorns parents are saying, their teams are just as good as the ECNL teams. So either you admit that Beaverton was a disgrace and a huge error in judgment by the Thorns powers that be...or you admit that the Thorns teams are playing at a level far below our in state ECNL teams. You can't have it both ways.
            What are the U16 ECNL teams doing this summer?

Comment

The GDA Portland Thorns will not form their (3) teams for almost a year from now.

It's really laughable that you associate the happenings of local girls in a local tournament with a GDA program that hasn't even hired coaches, picked players or have a match schedule from US Soccer to date.

Once the GDA Portland Thorns have a product for the GDA fire away. You're wasting quite a bit of attention on local girls that may not even be the type of players suited for the GDA platform. How come, what's bugging you so badly that these kids are the target of your hostility?

I'm sure that once the GDA Portland Thorns are established in the areast clubs like CU and FC PDX will benefit from friendly matches, scrimmages that will happen between the sides, as they do now between the DA Portland Timbers and many of our local clubs who aren't in the DA.

US Soccer doesn't have a year-long match schedule that is overwhelming in quantity for the DA program, this same outline is being used for the GDA in the future, so these type of friendly matches will be a great challenge and opportunity for the local club teams/girls to get exposure to the Development Academy level of play.

Win/Win.
              The GDA Portland Thorns Academy teams will be WEAKER than this year's teams. Live it up while you can. Win that Beaverton Cup! Might be your last chance at glory.

Comment

Win/Win.
                Everyone with half a brain knew that the Thorns would get into the DA, politics being what they are. The kids all knew it. And what you got was what you got. Not much better than a random Alliance club team. Might even be worse next year when the girls decide they like HS soccer better than the Thorns sham.

Comment

Everyone with half a brain knew that the Thorns would get into the DA, politics being what they are. The kids all knew it. And what you got was what you got. Not much better than a random Alliance club team. Might even be worse next year when the girls decide they like HS soccer better than the Thorns sham.
                  Your kid should play high school. Highlight of their career.

Comment

Your kid should play high school. Highlight of their career.
                    Higher highlight than playing for Thorns Academy in Beaverton Cup. No doubt about it! Unless your kid goes to Gresham HS or some other caveman center of excellence.

Comment

Higher highlight than playing for Thorns Academy in Beaverton Cup. No doubt about it! Unless your kid goes to Gresham HS or some other caveman center of excellence.
                      At last. We now know what personal agenda is at play. Forum therapy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X