Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our BC is for both the boys and girls programs and heavily favors the boys side. They seem to get great gear with brand names and the girls side gets no-name garbage. The boys have new kits just about every year and the girls sometimes get their previous kits every few years. They make a decent amount from concessions as well and demand that parents volunteer to work them. Crowds are the same for girls and boys night games but concessions are rarely opened by the BC for the girls games. They try to coerce parents into it under the guise that if you don't you will have to pay for the end of year banquet out of pocket which they cover for members ..... We just pay the $25 for our kids awful meal (worth $6-7 in truth). I am also not sure where all of the money goes as they do not publish the books. And they keep wondering why the parents of the girls teams grumble at participating and often talk about either dropping out entirely or starting our own BC.
    Ours are run separately. The girls don't cost as much and they do more fund raising like car washes. Both are good about laying out where the funds go, although they don't give specific dollar amounts

Comment

Our BC is for both the boys and girls programs and heavily favors the boys side. They seem to get great gear with brand names and the girls side gets no-name garbage. The boys have new kits just about every year and the girls sometimes get their previous kits every few years. They make a decent amount from concessions as well and demand that parents volunteer to work them. Crowds are the same for girls and boys night games but concessions are rarely opened by the BC for the girls games. They try to coerce parents into it under the guise that if you don't you will have to pay for the end of year banquet out of pocket which they cover for members ..... We just pay the $25 for our kids awful meal (worth $6-7 in truth). I am also not sure where all of the money goes as they do not publish the books. And they keep wondering why the parents of the girls teams grumble at participating and often talk about either dropping out entirely or starting our own BC.
      Hate to tell you football eats up the lion share of BC dollars
      We just have our parents donate to our own account and use for us

Comment

Hate to tell you football eats up the lion share of BC dollars
        We just have our parents donate to our own account and use for us
        I was on the booster club for our high school and we have it set up to keep separate accounts for each sport. All dollars raised by soccer are used by soccer. We also run the concessions stand at events and have membership fees. The money we raise from this goes into a general fund to pay for things like player plaques for state championships, new sound system for workout room, couple treadmills, etc. We do not harass parents, at the start of the season they get a membership form and join or don't join. We never go to coaches and give them a list of who is a member. I do have to say, our AD loves that we are able to be one Booster Club versus 20 smaller groups. Having 20 smaller groups offers legal issues for the school, team and coach. Recently, a single sport group in a local town, which was not set up as a non-profit, was found to have a "group" skimming the fundraiser cash. The "group" was charged with theft and the school board/school meet many unhappy parents wondering why there was no oversight!

Comment

I was on the booster club for our high school and we have it set up to keep separate accounts for each sport. All dollars raised by soccer are used by soccer. We also run the concessions stand at events and have membership fees. The money we raise from this goes into a general fund to pay for things like player plaques for state championships, new sound system for workout room, couple treadmills, etc. We do not harass parents, at the start of the season they get a membership form and join or don't join. We never go to coaches and give them a list of who is a member. I do have to say, our AD loves that we are able to be one Booster Club versus 20 smaller groups. Having 20 smaller groups offers legal issues for the school, team and coach. Recently, a single sport group in a local town, which was not set up as a non-profit, was found to have a "group" skimming the fundraiser cash. The "group" was charged with theft and the school board/school meet many unhappy parents wondering why there was no oversight!
          our town has seperate BCs for each sport - some are more active than others. I'm the OP that mentioned the pressure to jon - I like your approach, either join or don't. Our BC (boys soccer) hounds the non-joiners. It's also not cheap - we already pay for the kids to play, and then add on the BC dues and fund-raisers, and it's easily getting into the $500 range.

Comment

Yours probably works because it's always been that way. I can't imagine a school moving to that kind of system in this day and age of selfishness. Parents want to pay for things that impact their own kids, screw the rest (sadly). Plus it would take a fair and balanced board to allocate money and an AD that isn't swayed by big personality coaches (hah! good luck with any of that). Also depends on school size and athletic budgets. Big school = more parents chipping into the pool. Our medium sized school has anemic athletics budgets (and getting worse thanks to the knuckleheads in Hartford). Teams do fundraising for assistant coaches. Would team efforts like that disappear under your scenario? Doesn't seem fair to teams that want to do fund raising for extras (hopefully without parental pressure, just gentle nudging)

Comment

So when they go to college and the coach requires them to do volunteer work, do you still stomp your feet and say you can't make me? You choose to be apart of a program and that doesn't mean you get to choose which things you want to do unless you want to face consequences.

Comment

So when they go to college and the coach requires them to do volunteer work, do you still stomp your feet and say you can't make me? You choose to be apart of a program and that doesn't mean you get to choose which things you want to do unless you want to face consequences.
                In the case cited it's illegal under CA state law to force fund raising on students, so no its not the same at all.

Comment

In the case cited it's illegal under CA state law to force fund raising on students, so no its not the same at all.
                  we live in ct,

Comment

our town has seperate BCs for each sport - some are more active than others. I'm the OP that mentioned the pressure to jon - I like your approach, either join or don't. Our BC (boys soccer) hounds the non-joiners. It's also not cheap - we already pay for the kids to play, and then add on the BC dues and fund-raisers, and it's easily getting into the $500 range.
                    Where is ciac in all this? Sounds like pay to play in public school. Why is there a transgender rule written that impact s maybe one kid every 10 years and nothing on something that impacts every kid, every year?

Comment

Where is ciac in all this? Sounds like pay to play in public school. Why is there a transgender rule written that impact s maybe one kid every 10 years and nothing on something that impacts every kid, every year?
                      School districts are allowed to have their own athletics fees. Many have them on a per player per sport basis with a family cap. With shrinking budgets most schools don't have a choice but to charge something to help cover the costs of running athletic programs. Booster clubs are generally separate non-profit entities not run through the schools (but sometimes use the school bookkeepers for paying bills). Booster club fees are supposed to always be optional. All or ours repeat it it over and over again. As you can see by comments at some schools parents are pressed harder than others. Who pays and doesn't pay booster club fees shouldn't be shared with coaching staff and certainly never used against a player as punishment

Comment

Welcome to 21st century liberal America.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X