Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just can't let the 'DAP system is starting to develop talent' go without comment. I couldn't disagree more. By it's nature DAP generally speaking gets the most talented players. THEY COME INTO DAP WITH NATURAL ABILITY. DAP doesn't develop it. They stagnate it and it is a shame. There is very, very little technical training and time to actually ingrain those skills into game situations. It's an extremely flawed system that benefits gas stations, fast food restaurants, and hotels at least as much as the typical player.
    Again, 10 years is way too long to see the fruits of these clubs STARTING to bare fruit. But they are clearly STARTING. Would love to see MORE and faster

Yes the players all have natural ability (which is true of any club in the world). However, to not give credit to the clubs developing youth players the right way (FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, Atlanta United, real Salt Lake, Red Bulls, and Scott Gallagher ) is just disingenuous. FC Dallas has signed 18 homegrowns and has 9 on its MLS roster. Red Bull's have Tyler Adams and Alex Muyl among other homegrowns signed.

Perhaps your views are shaped by CT DAP teams or NE Revs ... if that's the case I would agree with you that they aren't doing a great job.

Comment

I think you are discounting that the finally the DAP system is starting to develop some talent. There is some talent in the USYNT some of which comes from DAP but a lot from foreign academies/clubs. I think in a few years we will see this talent filter into the full national team.

Again, Pulisic is a generational talent. He was fortunate to have genetics, talent and drive, soccer playing parents and a Croatian passport to get to Germany.
      I dont buy this Pulisic is a generational talent argument at all. There are several players in his generation that are as good or better. Soccer is a global game.

if your point is becasue he is American, then that is the big flaw in all of this. Soccer is a Club game. For him to be generational he has to be globally relevant at CLUB level. he is not that yet. he is a very useful young player who may grow into more.

Comment

I dont buy this Pulisic is a generational talent argument at all. There are several players in his generation that are as good or better. Soccer is a global game.

if your point is becasue he is American, then that is the big flaw in all of this. Soccer is a Club game. For him to be generational he has to be globally relevant at CLUB level. he is not that yet. he is a very useful young player who may grow into more.
        There maybe some players in his generation as good or better, but a.) they are not American, and b.) he is in their realm ..... a first for an american.

Comment

I was referring to him being the leading spear on a golden generation of US talent. Recognize that's a lower bar than international talent

He's 18 years old and key player on Dortmund. There's rumors that Liverpool may make a run at him (spend some of the Continhu money) for $40-70MM

Comment

I was referring to him being the leading spear on a golden generation of US talent. Recognize that's a lower bar than international talent

He's 18 years old and key player on Dortmund. There's rumors that Liverpool may make a run at him (spend some of the Continhu money) for $40-70MM
            If more US players even got a whiff of that kind of money you'd find more willing to take a leap into international play. $60,000 rookie MLS salary isn't very enticing vs a free education at a top institution. More getting just a "paltry" few million would cause lots of head turning. Problem is, few are ready for it yet. CP is an exception and an enormous one at that.

Comment

He isn't worth anything near that much

Comment

He isn't worth anything near that much
                Liverpool is desperate. But thanks for your input

Comment

If more US players even got a whiff of that kind of money you'd find more willing to take a leap into international play. $60,000 rookie MLS salary isn't very enticing vs a free education at a top institution. More getting just a "paltry" few million would cause lots of head turning. Problem is, few are ready for it yet. CP is an exception and an enormous one at that.
                  MLS players' salaries are listed in this link: http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-201...ers-1794648467

Look at the New England Revolution roster - Diego Fagundez. He left high school in Massachusetts to play pro soccer. He is guaranteed a salary of $180,000 at age 22. Not too bad for a kid with only a GED.

Comment

Again, 10 years is way too long to see the fruits of these clubs STARTING to bare fruit. But they are clearly STARTING. Would love to see MORE and faster

Yes the players all have natural ability (which is true of any club in the world). However, to not give credit to the clubs developing youth players the right way (FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, Atlanta United, real Salt Lake, Red Bulls, and Scott Gallagher ) is just disingenuous. FC Dallas has signed 18 homegrowns and has 9 on its MLS roster. Red Bull's have Tyler Adams and Alex Muyl among other homegrowns signed.

Perhaps your views are shaped by CT DAP teams or NE Revs ... if that's the case I would agree with you that they aren't doing a great job.
                    You replied to me and I thank you for very insightful information. You are correct in Where My Views come from.

Comment

MLS players' salaries are listed in this link: http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-201...ers-1794648467

Look at the New England Revolution roster - Diego Fagundez. He left high school in Massachusetts to play pro soccer. He is guaranteed a salary of $180,000 at age 22. Not too bad for a kid with only a GED.
                      And where is he going? Nowhere. The Revs are universally loathed and don't to sh it to develop players in DA or professionally. They also convinced ZH to walk away from a free college education to PC and was paid $65,000 and floundered. The link you posted also said 50 players make the MLS minimum of 53,000. So they earn some OK money for a few years. Then what? Some of the higher paid players are aging studs from Europe. Until professional soccer becomes more lucrative choosing college will always be a big draw for players.

Not the op

Comment

And where is he going? Nowhere. The Revs are universally loathed and don't to sh it to develop players in DA or professionally. They also convinced ZH to walk away from a free college education to PC and was paid $65,000 and floundered. The link you posted also said 50 players make the MLS minimum of 53,000. So they earn some OK money for a few years. Then what? Some of the higher paid players are aging studs from Europe. Until professional soccer becomes more lucrative choosing college will always be a big draw for players.

Not the op
                        I agree.
                        65,80 even 180k is still no big head turner in Soccer and I'm also seeing that playing for the MLS is like a job going nowhere. Adams , Muyl and the other Homegrown players are all publicity stunts to pump up the Academy. These players are decent at best but definitely no "Real Deal" type of players they wouldn't make any of the B teams in the Bundesliga league.

Is the MLS and American players getting better? Absolutely!
                        Will we one day win a WC ? Absolutely!

The US is trying extremely hard to prove they can do this and my experience I see only good things happen when this is done.

Comment

There maybe some players in his generation as good or better, but a.) they are not American, and b.) he is in their realm ..... a first for an american.
                          there are several, but they are not hyped by the American soccer press. Pulisic is good, dont get me wrong, but to call him a generational player is just so over the top. Is he better than Rashford, , Dele Ali, Dembele , Renato Sanches, Iwobi , Mbappe , Jesus? Im not even trying to come up with names.

Comment

there are several, but they are not hyped by the American soccer press. Pulisic is good, dont get me wrong, but to call him a generational player is just so over the top. Is he better than Rashford, , Dele Ali, Dembele , Renato Sanches, Iwobi , Mbappe , Jesus? Im not even trying to come up with names.
                            I get whenever ESPN does these lists, they have to put an American in there somewhere, but still...

http://www.espnfc.com/photo-gallery/...tenham-hotspur

Comment

I get whenever ESPN does these lists, they have to put an American in there somewhere, but still...

http://www.espnfc.com/photo-gallery/...tenham-hotspur
                              all good. so not a generational player then. Thats my only point. One of several promising young players in the game.

Comment

all good. so not a generational player then. Thats my only point. One of several promising young players in the game.
                                We have several good and promising players who are on and deserve to be on our national team. However, these players would not get a sniff at top-class national teams worldwide.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X