Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIAC Rules and College Recruiting

I am ready to pull what little hair I have left on my head out after trying to make sense of the CIAC rulebook regarding college recruiting during the HS season. My D is in full recruit mode an has two additional ID events she's been asked to attend Sept/early October. She was told by a teammate you can't do them during the season as per CIAC rules. This strikes me as ludicrous as it could severely limit players' ability to get in front of coaches. In my D's case she has one offer, possibly another on the say. the coach has generously given her a decent amount of time to consider it but he won't forever, certainly not until school soccer is done AND she can attend a ID event!

So I plunged into the rulebook (not for the faint of heart) and all I find is contradictions, or what I think are contradictions.

First rule:

1.0 DURING AUTHORIZED CONTEST SEASON (In-Season Rules)

1.1 Individual and Team Sports
    a. Participation as an individual or as a member on a non-school sponsored team in a
    sports competition, practice, showcase, try-out, camp or clinic at any level of play
    including professional in the same branch of athletics during the authorized contest
    season will render the athlete ineligible for all interscholastic athletics unless the
    athlete is reinstated by the CIAC Board of Control. (Season is defined as the date of
    the first contest for that school and concluding with either the CIAC final tournament
    game or the New England championships.)

Only to then be theoretically excepted here (there are restrictions to this exception, naturally)

Exceptions to Rule 1.1.a.

3. Participation in a college audition – (Audition – when a student-athlete is invited
    by the college coach to visit the campus and participate in workouts individually
    or with team members to assess their skills prior to admission.)

only to then be contradicted again here and further down in the Q&A section.

1.1 Camps and Showcases

Students may not attend.

I know this stuff isn't to be messed around with and teams have been booted for ineligible players (although I don't think I've heard of it being because of recruiting, just club play or grades). Obviously I'll check with the school but any insights would be appreciated. Link is below - it starts on page 71. Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't want to start an anti CIAC tirade - I happen to agree with the no cub soccer rule during the season because of burnout. But this is a different matter.

http://www.casciac.org/pdfs/ciachandbook_1718.pdf

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am ready to pull what little hair I have left on my head out after trying to make sense of the CIAC rulebook regarding college recruiting during the HS season. My D is in full recruit mode an has two additional ID events she's been asked to attend Sept/early October. She was told by a teammate you can't do them during the season as per CIAC rules. This strikes me as ludicrous as it could severely limit players' ability to get in front of coaches. In my D's case she has one offer, possibly another on the say. the coach has generously given her a decent amount of time to consider it but he won't forever, certainly not until school soccer is done AND she can attend a ID event!

So I plunged into the rulebook (not for the faint of heart) and all I find is contradictions, or what I think are contradictions.

First rule:

1.0 DURING AUTHORIZED CONTEST SEASON (In-Season Rules)

1.1 Individual and Team Sports
    a. Participation as an individual or as a member on a non-school sponsored team in a
    sports competition, practice, showcase, try-out, camp or clinic at any level of play
    including professional in the same branch of athletics during the authorized contest
    season will render the athlete ineligible for all interscholastic athletics unless the
    athlete is reinstated by the CIAC Board of Control. (Season is defined as the date of
    the first contest for that school and concluding with either the CIAC final tournament
    game or the New England championships.)

Only to then be theoretically excepted here (there are restrictions to this exception, naturally)

Exceptions to Rule 1.1.a.

3. Participation in a college audition – (Audition – when a student-athlete is invited
    by the college coach to visit the campus and participate in workouts individually
    or with team members to assess their skills prior to admission.)

only to then be contradicted again here and further down in the Q&A section.

1.1 Camps and Showcases

Students may not attend.

I know this stuff isn't to be messed around with and teams have been booted for ineligible players (although I don't think I've heard of it being because of recruiting, just club play or grades). Obviously I'll check with the school but any insights would be appreciated. Link is below - it starts on page 71. Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't want to start an anti CIAC tirade - I happen to agree with the no cub soccer rule during the season because of burnout. But this is a different matter.

http://www.casciac.org/pdfs/ciachandbook_1718.pdf
    You pasted the rule above. ID clinics at an individual school are not Showcase events. Mine went to several last fall, if you want cover your bases I'd suggest a simple email to the AD at your kids high school. My firm understanding is that these are not an issue. Those larger "combine" events that are commercially run with a dozen+ schools would likely be considered Showcase events and would be problematic.

Good luck

Comment

You pasted the rule above. ID clinics at an individual school are not Showcase events. Mine went to several last fall, if you want cover your bases I'd suggest a simple email to the AD at your kids high school. My firm understanding is that these are not an issue. Those larger "combine" events that are commercially run with a dozen+ schools would likely be considered Showcase events and would be problematic.

Good luck
      You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just asked your kids coach.

Communicate the dates, etc to your kids coach and you should be fine

Playing with a club team or travel team at a showcase event will be a problem though.

Comment

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just asked your kids coach.

Communicate the dates, etc to your kids coach and you should be fine

Playing with a club team or travel team at a showcase event will be a problem though.
        Not our coach! He wouldn't know the first thing about rules, let alone recruiting. He barely knows the rules of the game.

Poster should check with the school AD as they have to deal with it more regularly than a coach of just one sport. Make sure to get it all in writing.

Comment

Not our coach! He wouldn't know the first thing about rules, let alone recruiting. He barely knows the rules of the game.

Poster should check with the school AD as they have to deal with it more regularly than a coach of just one sport. Make sure to get it all in writing.
          Your kid must go to Trumbull hs.

Regardless, it is a ciac rule, who cares. Those guys screwed up the last two state tournaments. If they can't figure out what school is in what division, do you think they are going to find out your kid went to the ccsu Id camp?

Comment

Relax OP. No need for a meltdown. As long as you email the AD (ours asked for a copy of the ID clinic brochure), it's allowed as long as it's a single school event. My daughter attended three during last Fall season.

Comment

Relax OP. No need for a meltdown. As long as you email the AD (ours asked for a copy of the ID clinic brochure), it's allowed as long as it's a single school event. My daughter attended three during last Fall season.
              Not true! You may not attend these events unless your AD and the CIAC give consent. Your HS can be disqualified if the proper channels aren't followed. To the guy above with the who cares attitude, how do you think your daughter's teammates/classmates will feel about her if she is the reason their season ends?

Comment

Not true! You may not attend these events unless your AD and the CIAC give consent. Your HS can be disqualified if the proper channels aren't followed. To the guy above with the who cares attitude, how do you think your daughter's teammates/classmates will feel about her if she is the reason their season ends?
                They will all congratulate her when she commits and when she only has to apply to one school and she is excepted before Jan 1 of her senior year.

Every year this comes up, and every year an old guy in Cheshire chimes in with some archaic rule. I understand the no club rule and it being to "protect" the kid from themselves, the evil club coaches and over the top parents. However, stopping a kid from spending a Saturday looking at a college campus and doing some drills in front of a coach is a stupid limitation when the purpose of high school is to teach kids and help them further thier education.

Men used to enslave other races, rape and beat women, ride horses as a means of transportation, etc. times have changed pops. As for ciac....f them. They have never done anything for my kid. Why don't you guys work on tournament brackets and plan your same as every year boring all state banquet and leave the parenting to guys like me. I saw how much you care about the kids and thier education when you stopped all tournament games in class L and class LL last year after kids had left school early, travelled to another school and warmed up, refs had showed up for work and parents had taken off for work early. Think of the travel money wasted and productivity and education wasted, all because you old farts could not interpret your own competition rules and put an L school (after success factors) in the LL bracket all year and in the tournamant and failed to recognize the error for three months.

Piss off!

Comment

They will all congratulate her when she commits and when she only has to apply to one school and she is excepted before Jan 1 of her senior year.

Every year this comes up, and every year an old guy in Cheshire chimes in with some archaic rule. I understand the no club rule and it being to "protect" the kid from themselves, the evil club coaches and over the top parents. However, stopping a kid from spending a Saturday looking at a college campus and doing some drills in front of a coach is a stupid limitation when the purpose of high school is to teach kids and help them further thier education.

Men used to enslave other races, rape and beat women, ride horses as a means of transportation, etc. times have changed pops. As for ciac....f them. They have never done anything for my kid. Why don't you guys work on tournament brackets and plan your same as every year boring all state banquet and leave the parenting to guys like me. I saw how much you care about the kids and thier education when you stopped all tournament games in class L and class LL last year after kids had left school early, travelled to another school and warmed up, refs had showed up for work and parents had taken off for work early. Think of the travel money wasted and productivity and education wasted, all because you old farts could not interpret your own competition rules and put an L school (after success factors) in the LL bracket all year and in the tournamant and failed to recognize the error for three months.

Piss off!
                  Nice rant. Your kid's team will still be disqualified.

Comment

Happened to my high school baseball team a few years back

Comment

Nice rant. Your kid's team will still be disqualified.
                      And all of her teammates will not be happy for her for costing the rest of them their season. What a blow hard!

Comment

Piss off!
                        As soon as I saw the title I knew anti CIAC guy would come out swinging. He rails against them every year.

So anti CIAC guy you like the no club rule, which protects your kid, but then say they've done nothing for her. Go ahead and break the rules then watch her become the least popular kid at school.

Comment

As soon as I saw the title I knew anti CIAC guy would come out swinging. He rails against them every year.

So anti CIAC guy you like the no club rule, which protects your kid, but then say they've done nothing for her. Go ahead and break the rules then watch her become the least popular kid at school.
                          I dont like the rule. It spawned the gdap. Look how good that is for kids. 10 months year round soccer and no high school. I said I understand where it came from.

Any Id clinic rule is just plain stupid. I have never one kids Id clinic visit adversely impact another player or team. Most hs teams have big rosters. The kids that don't go to an Id clinic should be happy with more playing time or coaching time. In most cases, the clinics don't interfere with games or practices at all actually.

Did going to a clinic for 4 hours on a Saturday at bucknell give someone an unfair advantage.

St joes has been practicing for weeks. Jack has stopped in on many an occasion this summer Go investigate that rule stretching as it impacts competition, not the one that doesn't.

Comment

It's a YU camp not St. Joes. Jack can do whatever he wants.

Comment

I dont like the rule. It spawned the gdap. Look how good that is for kids. 10 months year round soccer and no high school. I said I understand where it came from.

Any Id clinic rule is just plain stupid. I have never one kids Id clinic visit adversely impact another player or team. Most hs teams have big rosters. The kids that don't go to an Id clinic should be happy with more playing time or coaching time. In most cases, the clinics don't interfere with games or practices at all actually.

Did going to a clinic for 4 hours on a Saturday at bucknell give someone an unfair advantage.

St joes has been practicing for weeks. Jack has stopped in on many an occasion this summer Go investigate that rule stretching as it impacts competition, not the one that doesn't.
                              You're a tattle tale! And no names on here, remember that's the rule...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X