Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

club-based approach

New to the premier scene- but had a question about terminology. Does a "club based approach" mean clubs play each other on the same day and the same location? I ask because I have three kids and if that is true, that would affect where I send my kids to play.

Potentially, that would mean all three kids would play, say, in Rhode Island, at the same place, same day (though different times).

Or am I reading this wrong?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    New to the premier scene- but had a question about terminology. Does a "club based approach" mean clubs play each other on the same day and the same location? I ask because I have three kids and if that is true, that would affect where I send my kids to play.

Potentially, that would mean all three kids would play, say, in Rhode Island, at the same place, same day (though different times).

I am not sure it means that. There are some clubs that play on the same day. Boys CFCU does in the NEP

I interpret club based approach is that the club is the important component of development. Club teams all belong to the same league, coachea may not follow a team year after year, certain coaching stands exist, club pass system utilized.

Comment

Sounds like club jargon to suck in new customers. Only way to know for sure is to ask them.

Comment

Sounds like club jargon to suck in new customers. Only way to know for sure is to ask them.
        I concur. Here in CT (and probably all the US) the term is a marketing attempt. They are trying to align their offering with the types of "clubs" in Europe that offer u-little to pro level teams. In Europe that means your player would be constantly evaluated by a real professional staff, learn in large groups based in ability/age, maybe even go to school at the club and all expenses would be paid by the club.

Here in CT, the term means relatively little. Perhaps it means the club owners would like to believe they have a player promotion system allowing your child to advance to the the level that's appropriate - but that's mostly a lie in every club. Perhaps they want it to mean that players, parents, coaches all rally around the club banner and hold hands like a true family - but that's a lie as well.

But no way does it mean your kids (all different ages?) will all be playing games, or even practicing at the same place and time. FSA can offer same practice place, but their facility can't handle all at the same time and they have the biggest facility in the state. Same for OW. And CFC like every other club in the state, rents fields all over the place.

As for games, on the girls side, only an ECNL club can guarantee same place/same day as it is a part of the ECNL by-laws, but that's only if your kids are between u14-18 and on ECNL/NPL teams. Their u-little teams play in the same CJSA-like state leagues as any other club, so they can't promise any game consistency.

In the end, ignore the marketing term and pick the club whose practice fields are the most convenient to you AND the club whose top-end team offering aligns with what you feel like is your child's end-goal in soccer.

Comment

I concur. Here in CT (and probably all the US) the term is a marketing attempt. They are trying to align their offering with the types of "clubs" in Europe that offer u-little to pro level teams. In Europe that means your player would be constantly evaluated by a real professional staff, learn in large groups based in ability/age, maybe even go to school at the club and all expenses would be paid by the club.

Here in CT, the term means relatively little. Perhaps it means the club owners would like to believe they have a player promotion system allowing your child to advance to the the level that's appropriate - but that's mostly a lie in every club. Perhaps they want it to mean that players, parents, coaches all rally around the club banner and hold hands like a true family - but that's a lie as well.

But no way does it mean your kids (all different ages?) will all be playing games, or even practicing at the same place and time. FSA can offer same practice place, but their facility can't handle all at the same time and they have the biggest facility in the state. Same for OW. And CFC like every other club in the state, rents fields all over the place.

As for games, on the girls side, only an ECNL club can guarantee same place/same day as it is a part of the ECNL by-laws, but that's only if your kids are between u14-18 and on ECNL/NPL teams. Their u-little teams play in the same CJSA-like state leagues as any other club, so they can't promise any game consistency.

In the end, ignore the marketing term and pick the club whose practice fields are the most convenient to you AND the club whose top-end team offering aligns with what you feel like is your child's end-goal in soccer.
          Since no one really knows, why don't you ask the clubs you are interested in what they do and what it actually means to be club-based if they say they are?

Comment

To my knowledge only NPL, DA and ECNL schedule most teams as a unit. The rest will schedule teams individually. So yes if you had three kids they could be all over the place at the same time. To the OP: what league are you talking about? Some premier teams only play in CT, others play out of state.

That said, "club-based" to me is about a club's philosophy about development, training curriculum, progression etc. It's about as useful as the term "Elite" - marekting-ese and that's about it. Scheduling is a non-related detail.

Comment

OP here. I have a seven, eight and ten year old all playing travel soccer next year. But we are thinking of moving them into premier the following year- and obviously want to keep this as convenient as possible without sacrificing quality. We live close to FSA, Oakwood, CFC Wolves and Sporting, so all are in the mix. But looking ahead, I want to avoid as much as possible living out of my car. Maybe that's just a dream though.

Comment

OP here. I have a seven, eight and ten year old all playing travel soccer next year. But we are thinking of moving them into premier the following year- and obviously want to keep this as convenient as possible without sacrificing quality. We live close to FSA, Oakwood, CFC Wolves and Sporting, so all are in the mix. But looking ahead, I want to avoid as much as possible living out of my car. Maybe that's just a dream though.
                It is just a dream. Sorry, one size does not fit all here. Each kid should try to play on the team (at any club) that makes most sense for them and their ability. Often it may not be at the same club and you are simply lucky if it is (or forcing the square pegs into the round holes). You have time and do not be surprised if they each play at different levels of skill and intensity. Find the right place for each one and you and they will be happy (even if it is a little more driving ..... car pools are great with other parents from your town).

Comment

It is just a dream. Sorry, one size does not fit all here. Each kid should try to play on the team (at any club) that makes most sense for them and their ability. Often it may not be at the same club and you are simply lucky if it is (or forcing the square pegs into the round holes). You have time and do not be surprised if they each play at different levels of skill and intensity. Find the right place for each one and you and they will be happy (even if it is a little more driving ..... car pools are great with other parents from your town).
                  I should have added, that it is not just all about your kids. Some clubs have very good or not so good teams at any given age and another club might have just what you are looking for. Same with coaches. For whatever age each of your children is at, one club might have a GREAT coach and another might have a really bad one. It gets tough because you don't want to club-hop a lot, but there are lots of things to consider when choosing and no club is perfect.

Comment

Kids 7 and 8 years old shouldn't even be near "travel" soccer. They should be playing in the local town club, working on individual skill development and trying to be the big fish in the little pond.

There's really no such thing as "premier" soccer at 10 years old. People will call it that and get you to join them, but it's hardly premier soccer at all.

And thus we see the real problem with soccer in this country.....

Comment

Kids 7 and 8 years old shouldn't even be near "travel" soccer. They should be playing in the local town club, working on individual skill development and trying to be the big fish in the little pond.

There's really no such thing as "premier" soccer at 10 years old. People will call it that and get you to join them, but it's hardly premier soccer at all.

Agree, we did U10 premier and it's a waste of money. I wouldn't worry about premier until U12 AT THE EARLIEST. Best to just wait until U14.

Comment

Agree, we did U10 premier and it's a waste of money. I wouldn't worry about premier until U12 AT THE EARLIEST. Best to just wait until U14.
                        I would say (at least on the boys side) waiting until U14 to try out for a top premier club will clearly risk putting you at a big disadvantage and potentially jeopardize your ability to make the top level team. There are limited slots available by u14 from what I've seen. Depends on the club obviously, each has it's own dynamic. The top clubs should at least know who your kid is at u12/u13 latest in my opinion. For some "premier" clubs, waiting until u14 will be just fine...depends what level you want.

Comment

I would say (at least on the boys side) waiting until U14 to try out for a top premier club will clearly risk putting you at a big disadvantage and potentially jeopardize your ability to make the top level team. There are limited slots available by u14 from what I've seen. Depends on the club obviously, each has it's own dynamic. The top clubs should at least know who your kid is at u12/u13 latest in my opinion. For some "premier" clubs, waiting until u14 will be just fine...depends what level you want.
                          You are spot on, you cannot wait until u14 for a big 3 club unless you're an absolute stud. Too risky these days.

Comment

Yes wait, but U14 is much too late. No later than U12. The skill gap, especially with kids at better clubs, starts to really widen each and every year. I know a few families that waited until U13 and U14 and couldn't even get on a good team. One parent with an incoming HS freshman recently admitted to regretting not doing it sooner. Around U11 start exploring your options by asking around, maybe attending some clinics or camps at clubs so you can check them out. Once you become serious about moving don't wait until mass tryouts - ask to attend a few practices before tryouts. You're much more likely to find a better fit for your player.

Comment

There being no such thing as premier soccer at age 10 may be true for Joe's Pop-Up Premier soccer club but for the established clubs with qualified coaches, the training starting at U9 is a lot different than the training they're getting in travel or rec (if you even want to call that training in a lot of clubs). What that training reaps is a whole lot different as well (better technical skills, better team play, playing from the back etc). I'm betting large sums of money that you never had a kid experience quality soccer training at those younger ages and see them develop into better players to appreciate what a good premier program does for their skills.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X