Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's funny because many of the "invites" (quotes intentional) my kid has gotten will say "8 of our last recruits were identified at one of our camps." What they leave out is that they were most likely invited to the camp AFTER seeing them play at a showcase or other game. That said at showcases coaches can't stay long because they have to see so many players. That's where the camp comes in - they can watch you for much longer, talk to you more, watch you interact with other players and staff etc. So beyond padding their budgets it does serve a purpose. It also helps the player better assess the coaches, school etc.

If a coach hasn't seen you play in a game then don't attend these events blindly - really assess the likelihood of making a roster. In other words, don't overshoot. If you're not a top player don't go to a top program camp unless it's just for the experience. Looking at the bios of current players can be a guide, as well as talking with your club coach (assuming they have a clue)
    My daughter received her offer from a school after an ID camp. The RC and HC saw her play in LV and at Surf but the HC wanted another look at her so they had her come to the ID camp. The RC said "I can't talk to you during the camp, but I would like you to call me tomorrow." During that call, he offered her.

Comment

My daughter received her offer from a school after an ID camp. The RC and HC saw her play in LV and at Surf but the HC wanted another look at her so they had her come to the ID camp. The RC said "I can't talk to you during the camp, but I would like you to call me tomorrow." During that call, he offered her.
      Fairly similar experience - I think going to the camp sealed the deal for my kid. But he gets offers from so many it's kind of funny, many from programs he could never in a million years make. No doubt lists from tournaments get sold off and some assistant coach spends his days firing off mass emails.

Narrow it down to the few that are schools the player likes and make sure it's a good soccer and academic fit. If you end up spending a few hundred bucks to help your player land at the right spot it's worth it. Just chose wisely.

Comment

From the tournaments which is an indicator of the level of play, am I right in guessing this was a D2/D3 offer? ;) Congrats

Comment

From the tournaments which is an indicator of the level of play, am I right in guessing this was a D2/D3 offer? ;) Congrats
          It was from Leslie Gallimore.

Comment

Sure you did

Comment

You said "HE offered"

There is no "HE" on UW women's coaching staff

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X