Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sure, IF they were moving on to the pros instead. That isn't happening either. Face it, Thornz Asylum is an unmitigated disaster.
    Who in the world want's to play pro nWSL thorns? They make something like $510 PER MONTH. Poverty level income.

Comment

Who in the world want's to play pro nWSL thorns? They make something like $510 PER MONTH. Poverty level income.
      I know a lot of this is bashing and posturing but you raise a point. Maddy Evans just retired from the Orlando Pride, in the prime of her career, to take a better paying job. Her salary on the Pride was $16k/year.

My DD loves soccer and I'm all about supporting our children while they chase their dreams, but let's be real. Is making $16,000/year at age 26 the dream you have for your daughter? For every Carli Lloyd or Alex Morgan there are dozens of pro players making poverty wages. Keeping it real, do you honestly think you're raising the next Carli or Alex?

I'm not a huge fan of GDA for many reasons. Not the least of which is their fee structure. Academy parents tout that it's practically free. Well nothing is free - someone is paying for that. And I'm sorry but I would rather see a young woman like Maddy Evans get a higher salary than see the family rolling up to academy practice in their Range Rover and bragging on social media about how cheap academy soccer is. Why not make these families pay a more reasonable amount, give scholarships to the kids who have a demonstrated need, and pay pro players a little more?

Comment

If you can get a gig as a cashier at the Walgreens across the street from Providence park you can work 30 hours a week at $10 an hour. That puts you are $1200 per month plus $510. That is $1710 per month. Not bad. I think once you don the smock at Walgreens you get a discount on your toiletries and gift items so that is another perk.

Comment

I know a lot of this is bashing and posturing but you raise a point. Maddy Evans just retired from the Orlando Pride, in the prime of her career, to take a better paying job. Her salary on the Pride was $16k/year.

My DD loves soccer and I'm all about supporting our children while they chase their dreams, but let's be real. Is making $16,000/year at age 26 the dream you have for your daughter? For every Carli Lloyd or Alex Morgan there are dozens of pro players making poverty wages. Keeping it real, do you honestly think you're raising the next Carli or Alex?

I'm not a huge fan of GDA for many reasons. Not the least of which is their fee structure. Academy parents tout that it's practically free. Well nothing is free - someone is paying for that. And I'm sorry but I would rather see a young woman like Maddy Evans get a higher salary than see the family rolling up to academy practice in their Range Rover and bragging on social media about how cheap academy soccer is. Why not make these families pay a more reasonable amount, give scholarships to the kids who have a demonstrated need, and pay pro players a little more?
          I am a fan of GDA, Ecnl and regular OYSA. Options are good. Agree that if USSF truly wants to increase the numbers & quality of national team pool players, they need to help the lower income players & their NWSL players more. Ecnl already exists as an elite platform for the wealthy. There is zero reason to make soccer free for the wealthy youth player. Think GDA would be a lot better if they did a sliding scale for players based on need. The ivies do this for tuition. They don't just give free tuition to everyone, tuition level is based on need once the student is admitted on academics.

As it stands now, the only players (other than the national team ones) that can play NWSL are the ones from wealthy enough families that can still support them in their adult lives while they continue to play soccer. The pyramid starts out and continues to weed out players based on wealth instead of skill.

Comment

Thorns are a pro for profit soccer company. Why would they be concerned about kids getting into college soccer?

Comment

Thorns are a pro for profit soccer company. Why would they be concerned about kids getting into college soccer?
              Or paying a living wage.

Comment

Maddy Evans get a higher salary than see the family rolling up to academy practice in their Range Rover and bragging on social media about how cheap academy soccer is. Why not make these families pay a more reasonable amount, give scholarships to the kids who have a demonstrated need, and pay pro players a little more?
                Oh, hey rich person. you need to pay your fair share. I don't care if you worked your butt off to make money while working 2-3 jobs nights & weekends, carefully managing your finances all those years and spending wisely, put yourself through school and paid all your schools loans off, and get a job that pays well, so you get something for all of your hard work. For all that hard work to make yourself successful; you deserve to get put down and pay everyone elses share along with your own. Come-on you selfish rich person.

Comment

The wealthy aren't even asked to pay their own share. A sliding scale would be more appropriate if the goal is to counteract the negatives of exclusions of pay-to-play.

Comment

The wealthy aren't even asked to pay their own share. A sliding scale would be more appropriate if the goal is to counteract the negatives of exclusions of pay-to-play.
                    The wealthy pay the vast majority of everything in this country - especially taxes. Top 1% pay about half of all income taxes. Imagine what it would be like if everyone paid the same amount of taxes - after all we're all "equal" right? At least that's what the libtards will tell you.

Comment

Only two local clubs in Oregon are suffering the negatives of an insane pay-to-play model construct. It's a rough road for those fools, no doubt. But if they have wealthy parents who don't ask questions they can hope it lasts.

Comment

Greed has taken over many people. Jesus said to help the poor and the hungry but helping others has been largely lost in the entire soccer rat race. The DA is actually trying to help. It might not be a perfect system but they are at least trying.

Comment

Only two local clubs in Oregon are suffering the negatives of an insane pay-to-play model construct. It's a rough road for those fools, no doubt. But if they have wealthy parents who don't ask questions they can hope it lasts.
                          Only 2 local clubs are seeing the rewards of playing at the next level. Last year more than 40 girls and still the overwhelming majority

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sear...ea=commitments

Comment

Only 2 local clubs are seeing the rewards of playing at the next level. Last year more than 40 girls and still the overwhelming majority

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sear...ea=commitments
                            Bend, Eugene, Salem, Vancouver, Westside all might not market it heavily but they all get a good number of girls into college soccer. Not a lot of D1 but a lot of great schools. I know of 6-8 girls from last year that are signed with great schools and I don't see them on any of those paid recruiting sites.

Comment

Bend, Eugene, Salem, Vancouver, Westside all might not market it heavily but they all get a good number of girls into college soccer. Not a lot of D1 but a lot of great schools. I know of 6-8 girls from last year that are signed with great schools and I don't see them on any of those paid recruiting sites.
                              TopDrawer is not a paid recruiting site

Comment

Just two? Seems that all of the Alliance clubs are failing miserably as they are charging outrageous fees to make everyone think they are the equivalent of ECNL, but then deliver a rec-level experience. Even the lemmings are starting to catch on as we see the member ship at Alliance clubs plummeting.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X