Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agreed. Not all players want to play high school soccer when the other choice is DA. Some also realize that they made DA so why not give it a try? If they don't like it they can always walk
    on to an ECNL team or high school soccer team later. Also you will find most of the girls playing at this level are not motivated by mommy and daddy or their friends cheering on the sidelines.
    I'm fine with GDA existing and girls choosing to play for GDA teams. I'm even fine with your snarky comment about "walking on" to an ECNL team (your bias is showing, and no I'm not an ECNL parent, I'm a TA parent).

My objection is cost. My OYSA fees went up. "Coincidentally," a nearly fully subsidized GDA program, run by the same people who run OYSA, launches this year. It's obvious, in spite of the howls of protest, that the increased fees are being used to subsidize (or we could just say provide welfare) for GDA families. I bigly object to that. ECNL doesn't charge me a dime to not participate.

Comment

Agreed. Not all players want to play high school soccer when the other choice is DA. Some also realize that they made DA so why not give it a try? If they don't like it they can always walk
      on to an ECNL team or high school soccer team later. Also you will find most of the girls playing at this level are not motivated by mommy and daddy or their friends cheering on the sidelines.
      Very few in the Thornz Asylum can "walk on" to an ECNL team. "Best" player on Thornz 01/02 did a year of ECNL and rode the pine 90% of the time.

Comment

I'm fine with GDA existing and girls choosing to play for GDA teams. I'm even fine with your snarky comment about "walking on" to an ECNL team (your bias is showing, and no I'm not an ECNL parent, I'm a TA parent).

My objection is cost. My OYSA fees went up. "Coincidentally," a nearly fully subsidized GDA program, run by the same people who run OYSA, launches this year. It's obvious, in spite of the howls of protest, that the increased fees are being used to subsidize (or we could just say provide welfare) for GDA families. I bigly object to that. ECNL doesn't charge me a dime to not participate.
        Agree with this. Better way would be to have need based scholarships. Most current players families have high incomes. Give 100% scholarships to the players that need it but don't give hand outs to the wealthy players off the backs of poor OYSA players.

Choices are good regardless. GDA has added another choice with a more concentrated method and that is good for our players. No one is forcing girls to play DA. If playing HS is that important to you, then play ECNL or OYSA. Choices are good. I foresee GDA growing and becoming more popular just like it did on the boys side. However, there are so many college women's teams that I also believe ECNL & OYSA will continue to be good options as well. Choices are good.

Comment

Why are you only griping now that they are partially subsidizing girls??? Boys have been subsidized all along and they only pay $500! Also your OYSA fees have nothing to do with DA.

Comment

Agree with this. Better way would be to have need based scholarships. Most current players families have high incomes. Give 100% scholarships to the players that need it but don't give hand outs to the wealthy players off the backs of poor OYSA players.

Choices are good regardless. GDA has added another choice with a more concentrated method and that is good for our players. No one is forcing girls to play DA. If playing HS is that important to you, then play ECNL or OYSA. Choices are good. I foresee GDA growing and becoming more popular just like it did on the boys side. However, there are so many college women's teams that I also believe ECNL & OYSA will continue to be good options as well. Choices are good.
            Lots of big cracks already showing in the GDA landscape. Look for there to be fewer clubs involved in year 2. Some of the top clubs have already realized that they've made a mistake and will be bailing out ASAP.

Comment

Why are you only griping now that they are partially subsidizing girls??? Boys have been subsidized all along and they only pay $500! Also your OYSA fees have nothing to do with DA.
              League fees are paid directly to a huge black hole named Peregrine LLC. From there they spend the money as they wish. It's obvious that they aren't spending the money on the Timbers/Thorns league to any great degree, but are spending it on boondoggles like GDA.

Comment

What Have We Learned Today Kids?

Early Surf cup results taught us two things:

Thorns teams will win at least won league game (Burlingame).
                So Cal Blues B team is better than the "A" GDA teams.

Comment

Early Surf cup results taught us two things:

Thorns teams will win at least won league game (Burlingame).
                  So Cal Blues B team is better than the "A" GDA teams.
                  Eastside Timbers and Clackamas Power Rays would thump Burlingame. That is a long drive in the thorns windowless van to play burlingame.

Burlingame would be 7th or 8th place in OYSA 2002 premier.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X