Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reaction to the European Super League

Funny seeing people involved in youth soccer in Mass opposing it, while perpetuating the same system within their sphere. It's all about money and control, not development or tradition or even what's best for the game. I just wish people would be honest about it.

I wonder if Liz Lima has a hand in the European Super league as well.

Comment

Not enough money in it for her.

Comment

Some clubs are opposed to it. For instance No GE teams have joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Funny seeing people involved in youth soccer in Mass opposing it, while perpetuating the same system within their sphere. It's all about money and control, not development or tradition or even what's best for the game. I just wish people would be honest about it.
          I’m just glad to see a thread on it.

But, it is the fault of mainly American owners. We f’d up the game over here, now let’s take it to the world.
          This is the equivalent of the Pats, Seahawks, Chiefs and Cowboys leaving the NFL to play each other every week.
          Btw, La Liga and Serie A only have 2 or 3 teams per league worth anything, so they don’t care about the lower level squads. That’s why they’ve signed on.
          We’ll never see Leicester win the league again or if they do, it won’t matter.

And I am a massive Liverpool supporter.

Comment

But, it is the fault of mainly American owners. We f’d up the game over here, now let’s take it to the world.
            This is the equivalent of the Pats, Seahawks, Chiefs and Cowboys leaving the NFL to play each other every week.
            Btw, La Liga and Serie A only have 2 or 3 teams per league worth anything, so they don’t care about the lower level squads. That’s why they’ve signed on.

I'm not so sure that it's been driven by the American owners. They are a small minority of the group breaking away, and one article suggested that they were somewhat forced to join the new league once they saw the momentum building and realized how much weaker they'd be if they stayed behind. That said, I can totally see how they'd read the competitive landscape and make the decision to jump once the big sponsor showed up.

Comment

I'm not so sure that it's been driven by the American owners. They are a small minority of the group breaking away, and one article suggested that they were somewhat forced to join the new league once they saw the momentum building and realized how much weaker they'd be if they stayed behind. That said, I can totally see how they'd read the competitive landscape and make the decision to jump once the big sponsor showed up.
              Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd are American owned.
              JP Morgan is the major financier of the league.

Comment

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd are American owned.
                JP Morgan is the major financier of the league.
                UEFA states that all clubs and players participating banned from FiFA and UEFA tourneys.

Comment

Edit: The Nfl teams would play their regular schedule, but form their own exclusive tournament format.
                  Unless they are banned from regular play, which is the risk for all these clubs.
                  It would quickly eliminate the Champions league, which allows the opportunity for qualifying to any teams in their respective home leagues

Comment

Have they proposed any hybrid element where a club could win their way in?

As and example reserve 2 spots for Champions League finalists and come up with some model where CL Winner gets spot, and Finalist gets to challenge incumbent.

Comment

Going back, it reminds me of when the “big clubs” left MAPLE to form their own leagues. No promotion or relegation in the name of “development over results”. Basically a money grab that pushes out the “little clubs” and lets the big clubs decide who is an “A” player, a “B” player, etc., without ever having to have the kids prove it against the other teams in the club

Comment

Going back, it reminds me of when the “big clubs” left MAPLE to form their own leagues. No promotion or relegation in the name of “development over results”. Basically a money grab that pushes out the “little clubs” and lets the big clubs decide who is an “A” player, a “B” player, etc., without ever having to have the kids prove it against the other teams in the club
                        This is a joke right? You are actually comparing youth club soccer in Massachusetts to the pinnacle of world club soccer. I can't.

Comment

This is a joke right? You are actually comparing youth club soccer in Massachusetts to the pinnacle of world club soccer. I can't.
                          I'm not the OP, but you should check yourself. The first post (the Original OP) in this thread says exactly the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's MA Youth soccer or "the pinnacle of world club soccer" the motivations are 100% identical. Control, Make more Money, Eliminate Risk. All Business runs on sam principles. And make no mistake, this is a business.

Where we may differ is if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. Some may argue it's exactly what the market wants. I'd rather see the big brands play and would prefer watching Man U play Barca, and Juventus. I'm tired of looking up who the 13th team in the EPL table is - I didn't even know Crystal Palace was a club, I thought it was a place

Comment

I'm not the OP, but you should check yourself. The first post (the Original OP) in this thread says exactly the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's MA Youth soccer or "the pinnacle of world club soccer" the motivations are 100% identical. Control, Make more Money, Eliminate Risk. All Business runs on sam principles. And make no mistake, this is a business.

Where we may differ is if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. Some may argue it's exactly what the market wants. I'd rather see the big brands play and would prefer watching Man U play Barca, and Juventus. I'm tired of looking up who the 13th team in the EPL table is - I didn't even know Crystal Palace was a club, I thought it was a place
                            Its a bad thing. You are taking the polish of the marquee events. Imagine if the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers only played each other. What was once a rivalry is now commonplace drivel. A Red Sox-Yankees ALCS is awesome when each earn their place, if they are automatically playing for an unearned trophy, no longer awesome.

This new Super League is a champions league where you don't have to earn your way in. Teams will reap money without having to actually be good enough to make the champions league. Not a good thing.

Comment

I think people are misunderstanding what this league is going to be.
                              First the teams will still play in their respective countries during league play. This league is only conflicting with the champions league and Europa leagues. It’s basically having a tournament and only putting the so-called top clubs against each other with out allowing other clubs a chance to make it unless they get picked which 5 teams will have a chance every year.

Only thing people over in Europe don’t like it is because it’s new and they don’t want to change.
                              Also it’s about money for both sides. I think the big clubs don’t want to keep sharing their money with the small clubs. This is what’s happening now clubs that make the champions league and Europa have to share a certain percent of their money with their federations.
                              The leagues themselves don’t want this to happen because tv money/sponsorship will go away.

You can call it greed but if you run a big club and are spending a lot of money on players why should you have to give it to lower clubs? The owners are taking all the risk in buying players to win and if I doesn’t work out are other clubs going to help them?

Again it’s all about money but they are adults dealing with adults it’s not like club soccer where kids are involved.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X