Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISL Letters go out today! Who is going where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Whatever parent writes a check for $50-$60k. That’s who’s going. Not so impressive when it’s just about what money can buy.
    Sorry your kid didn’t get in. Tell him/her to study harder. Under 10% acceptance rate this year. Tons of people that can write checks getting declined.

Comment

ISL schools are for wealthy parents that are too self absorbed to parent.

Comment

I can't tell you how many ISL parents I know claim their kids "really want it." Really? 🤔 Some kids clearly do because the families are dysfunctional lol, but others are happy to ship them off. High degree of crossover with families that send their kids to sleep away camp for the whole summer

Comment

Some incredibly smart kids do want more of an educational challenge than their public schools can provide. However, there are plenty of independent day schools that can provide that, and most ISLs also have day students options.

Comment

It's not the kid's success. It's YOUR success that you want to celebrate. Your success at getting a good tutor for the exam. Your success at writing the kid's essay for her. Your success at making enough money to pay the tuition.

Your kid is most likely going to be another rich, entitled twit playing soccer on beautiful grass fields on Saturday mornings and then hooking up with rich entitled lacrosse players in an overpriced dorm room on Saturday nights.

Congrats.
            Not the original poster but I thought this thread could've been interesting (i agree without the names...could've easily just posted the schools name).

The anger in your thread (especially the second paragraph) is sad and takes this thread in a completely unnecessary direction. My kid is going PG. We are far from rich. My nephew is a lacrosse player and my brother-in-law is even farther away from being rich than I am. The schools were very, very accommodating financially.

Try not have so much anger towards everyone. Not everything is as it seems.

Comment

I can't tell you how many ISL parents I know claim their kids "really want it." Really? 🤔 Some kids clearly do because the families are dysfunctional lol, but others are happy to ship them off. High degree of crossover with families that send their kids to sleep away camp for the whole summer
              I would never send my kid to a boarding school. PG during is a completely different story. Some kids aren't ready for college, some kids need to improve their grades, some kids want to play soccer in college and recruiting was decimated the past 18 months...chill out.

You should do your research though. I've seen kids at boarding school that come home friday night and go back sunday night.

You seem to have anger towards this option...it's not for everyone. This is not meant to be insulting but my guess is that if you had the money, or your kid had the talent to get significant aid, then you would do it.

Comment

Over half the kids at my school get financial aid. Including me.
                Then it’s not fair for the rest of us who “don’t qualify”

I see it as either you’re poor enough to get in or very very “rich” to get in

No happy medium for these schools and therefore excludes the “upper” middle class

Comment

I call BS on that idea.

My kids have over 4.0 in all AP classes and are very talented sports wise. We get calls all the time for them to go to these schools but I guess “unfortunately “ for us we make “too much” money.

I guess in this circumstance less really is more.

Comment

This is the new reinvented America. No one cares about anyone.

Comment

Sorry your kid didn’t get in. Tell him/her to study harder. Under 10% acceptance rate this year. Tons of people that can write checks getting declined.
                      Sorry last post was meant to respond to this one. Tell me which school declined a kid willing to pay full tuition...especially straight A top notch soccer player.....

I’ll wait

Comment

Sorry last post was meant to respond to this one. Tell me which school declined a kid willing to pay full tuition...especially straight A top notch soccer player.....

I’ll wait
                        If a kid is a straight A student with high standardized test scores and is a high level player (projects to play NESCAC or D1), he is getting into most schools. No one said a kid with that profile isn’t getting in.

The point was that if a kid is full pay and doesn’t have that profile, he isn’t getting into places like Milton, RL, Nobles, Rivers, Middlesex. You have to be a very high level kid academically and athletically to get into those schools. Being able to pay at those places doesn’t get you in.

Comment

I would never send my kid to a boarding school. PG during is a completely different story. Some kids aren't ready for college, some kids need to improve their grades, some kids want to play soccer in college and recruiting was decimated the past 18 months...chill out.

You should do your research though. I've seen kids at boarding school that come home friday night and go back sunday night.

You seem to have anger towards this option...it's not for everyone. This is not meant to be insulting but my guess is that if you had the money, or your kid had the talent to get significant aid, then you would do it.
                          No anger bro. If a kid really wants it and is ready for it then that's great. It definitely isn't for everyone and some parents aren't good parents. Yes I know some kids only stay for th week, go home on the weekends. Add in independent day schools, day-options at ISLs there's many options for bright motivated students that don't require your kids being gone all the time. Totally agree on the PG year - you're 18 and ready and if it's for the right reasons 100%.

Sadly I've seen some kids try the PG year and it doesn't work out well for them, mostly that they just weren't good students to begin with and another year of school doesn't change that. I've also seen too many kids that weren't happy or weren't ready.

Comment

If a kid is a straight A student with high standardized test scores and is a high level player (projects to play NESCAC or D1), he is getting into most schools. No one said a kid with that profile isn’t getting in.

The point was that if a kid is full pay and doesn’t have that profile, he isn’t getting into places like Milton, RL, Nobles, Rivers, Middlesex. You have to be a very high level kid academically and athletically to get into those schools. Being able to pay at those places doesn’t get you in.
                            Middlesex had 1,500 applicants this year for about 100 spots. That means that 93% didn’t get in. Of that 93%, tons are full pay families with smart students and good athletes. These schools are among the best in the country. You can’t just write a check for $50k and walk in. Just like you can’t just write a check for $70k and walk into Bowdoin or Yale. You have to be a high achieving kid. There are a few schools in the ISL that are not this selective. Still very good places, but not as insanely hard to get in. They include Lawrence, St Sebs, Thayer.

Comment

This is the new reinvented America. No one cares about anyone.
                              Did you really think people would be happy for the top 1%? Doesn't matter that it's not entirely true that it's only for the top 1% - perception = reality. Many families can't afford college let alone private school that costs as much as college.

Plus you wanted to talk about kids/players, which is appalling. That alone should cause a revocation of your parenting rights.

Comment

Middlesex had 1,500 applicants this year for about 100 spots. That means that 93% didn’t get in. Of that 93%, tons are full pay families with smart students and good athletes. These schools are among the best in the country. You can’t just write a check for $50k and walk in. Just like you can’t just write a check for $70k and walk into Bowdoin or Yale. You have to be a high achieving kid. There are a few schools in the ISL that are not this selective. Still very good places, but not as insanely hard to get in. They include Lawrence, St Sebs, Thayer.
                                This may be true, but you have to admit that parents love to brag about their kids and rub people’s noses in the fact that their kid goes to those selective ISL schools. Just like they do the same if their kid plays for an elite club team. That’s just very annoying. If you are proud of your kid, that’s fine, but don’t take every opportunity to tell everyone how great he is. No one cares.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X