USA beats Japan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know about the 6 second call but I think the hand ball was obvious. What would the US haters be saying if it was on the other end of the field and didnt get called?

I think that ball gets called 90% of the time no matter who the teams are. A hand is sticking out and hits the ball. I understand it isnt intentional but 90% of the hand balls I've seen called werent intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I dont know about the 6 second call but I think the hand ball was obvious. What would the US haters be saying if it was on the other end of the field and didnt get called?

I think that ball gets called 90% of the time no matter who the teams are. A hand is sticking out and hits the ball. I understand it isnt intentional but 90% of the hand balls I've seen called werent intentional.
      Thing is these aren't U.S. haters who are questioning both calls--Kyle Martino (former US international) and Julie Foudy, just soccer professionals who are calling it as they see it no matter how difficult it is (especially for Julie). It's alright to admit that a bad call or two helped see the U.S. through. They've been of the other end of bad calls before, but to blindly argue that they weren't bad calls or at least extremely questionable calls is ignoring reality.

Comment

The ref had to make up for not calling at least two clear fouls in the box from Canadian players against Alex Morgan prior to that call. I think the delay call on the keeper was only an excuse to right her wrongs on previous fouls in the box towards American players. Overall, I thought it was the worst called game I have ever seen at that level. I understand the "let them play" deal, but this was out of hand. But it sure was great to watch! I have never said, "that is going to leave a mark" so many times during a game! I am biased but I still believe the US team was the better TEAM. Canada obviously had the better PLAYER in Sinclaire.

Not sure Hope was backing her defense afterwards as she did in game 1 as they looked rec league on several occassions. Farris Bueller's sister had another bad day, and Kelly O'Hare was obviously still trying to learn how to play defense instead of forward. I think she will learn alot from this game and be the better for it. Hope had "happy feet" on two of Sinclaire's goals; lots of steps but she did not move at all. Lepetuite or whatever her name is (right outside back) failed to stay on the post on a set play and gave up the third goal.

Comment

You sound like a SORE LOSER who is CRYING and WEEPING this very moment.
          If that call had been reversed you would be saying the same thing the Canadians are saying. That call is made maybe twice per year and never in a semi-final or a game of that magnitude. Not only was that call bogus but the hand ball right after it was too. If the Canadian keeper was wasing time the referee can always add as much time as he/she wanted. A game like that should be decide by the players not the referee.

Comment

The ref had to make up for not calling at least two clear fouls in the box from Canadian players against Alex Morgan prior to that call. I think the delay call on the keeper was only an excuse to right her wrongs on previous fouls in the box towards American players. Overall, I thought it was the worst called game I have ever seen at that level. I understand the "let them play" deal, but this was out of hand. But it sure was great to watch! I have never said, "that is going to leave a mark" so many times during a game! I am biased but I still believe the US team was the better TEAM. Canada obviously had the better PLAYER in Sinclaire.

Not sure Hope was backing her defense afterwards as she did in game 1 as they looked rec league on several occassions. Farris Bueller's sister had another bad day, and Kelly O'Hare was obviously still trying to learn how to play defense instead of forward. I think she will learn alot from this game and be the better for it. Hope had "happy feet" on two of Sinclaire's goals; lots of steps but she did not move at all. Lepetuite or whatever her name is (right outside back) failed to stay on the post on a set play and gave up the third goal.
            Hand balls or non hand balls are always questioned by some one but a six second call on the keeper in a semi-final game of the Olympics is bush.

Comment

It's more gamesmanship than indecision.............. which would explain the warnings and the call. It happens all the time but not called a lot. Teams will waste as much time as possible when they have the lead. A few extra seconds by the keeper, feign indecision on a throw in, etc.
              And we saw how important additional seconds were in this particular game.

Comment

watching the men's Mexico Japan game and Kyle Martino was saying that it all evens out. Lloyd had her head intentionally stepped on, had the refs seen that it would have been a straight red card.

Comment

yesterday handball usa vs canada,clearly unintentional but the ref called it,good for usa,i think they played better anyway.honduras vs brasil ,one player red card at the beginning and a p.k for brasil come on!
                  Kind of hard to take you serious when you can't even spell Olympics. That made up for the 2 or 3 red cards Canada should have had for playing tackle football instead of soccer.

Comment

The few, if any extra seconds the Canadian GK held the ball were insignificant compared to the USWNT time-consuming antics after scoring goals (doing "the worm", cartwheels, flips, etc.) Such antics burn time off the clock, delaying the opponents' re-start.

In hindsight, one of the mistakes the Canadians made in the match was their demonstration of sportsmanship: with a USA player on the turf (O'Hara I think) and the USA with possession, her own team failed to play the ball out for her. The Canadians gained possession, began to build a counter-attack, then played the ball out.

Canada can be proud of their effort - and their sportsmanship.

Comment

The few, if any extra seconds the Canadian GK held the ball were insignificant compared to the USWNT time-consuming antics after scoring goals (doing "the worm", cartwheels, flips, etc.) Such antics burn time off the clock, delaying the opponents' re-start.

In hindsight, one of the mistakes the Canadians made in the match was their demonstration of sportsmanship: with a USA player on the turf (O'Hara I think) and the USA with possession, her own team failed to play the ball out for her. The Canadians gained possession, began to build a counter-attack, then played the ball out.

There seems to be a lot of BLUBBERING and WHINING because the superior team WON.

Comment

I think the issue, if there is an issue, is with the several seconds the keeper used up on several plays prior to the one called. I had part of the game on the tivo and just watched some of it. I payed particular attention to the keeper earlier in the game and there were several times she took in excess of 15 seconds. So, if it is a legitimate call, it would be for the many times she did it and not just the one.

And it might just be me but I think the show of sportsmanship by kicking the ball out was great but not sure if it cancels out stepping on someone's head on purpose.

Comment

Saw the replay of the canadian player stepping on the head of Lloyd who was on the ground. It was clearly intentional. They were lucky that the ref apparently did not see the stomp or the good sports would have been playing a man down.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;819367]Kind of hard to take you serious when you can't even spell Olympics. That made up for the 2 or 3 red cards Canada should have had for playing tackle football instead of soccer.[/QUOTE.u kind of are sweetheart ,when u admit the poor ref.not giving the canadians a card or two.so going back to the begining -- the refs sucked at the OLYMPICS thank u grandma

Comment

Saw the replay of the canadian player stepping on the head of Lloyd who was on the ground. It was clearly intentional. They were lucky that the ref apparently did not see the stomp or the good sports would have been playing a man down.
                              Violence adds to the spectator's enjoyment. More should be added to futbol; either through rule changes or tactics. One way or another, the game needs more head-stomping, elbowing and punching.

Comment

In the pre-game for men's Japan v Mexico game, Kyle Martino said that in all of his years playing and watching soccer he's NEVER seen the 6 second rule violation called. As follow up, he was asked by his co-host whether Canada got "jobbed" in light of that call plus the ensuing handball call (which he didn't think was a hand ball), he said yes. So what games are you watching where it's called all the time and what rules are you following where that's was clearly a hand ball?
                                You know what, I was wrong, I mistakenly was recalling the many yellow cards given to the GK at the highest levels of soccer in those instances. I guess you are right, I cannot remember a free kick given.

As for your second question, watch any premiere league, La Liga etc... highlights on any given weekend, you will see that when a players hands are raised...AT ALL, in the box, turning or not, and the ball hits, it's a PK more often than not, period.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X